Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help required: how to run PC programme on a Mac
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

I have bought a programme online and have been sent the link to download the software. It has downloaded fine but it won’t run the programme because its a PC programme and im on a MAC. I’ve emailed the company who have been very helpful and they have suggested speaking to someone about how to run the programme on my macbook.

Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks in advance

footflaps

Two options:

1. Install Windows as a second bootable OS
    2. Install Windows as a Virtual Machine using VMware or Parallels

in both cases you’ll need a copy of Windows.

Jamie
    Free Member

3. Realise you made a mistake, and see if there is a Mac alternative. What is the software?

kcal

Oracle VirtualBox is free (it is also a VM product as in 2. from footflaps above).
    However to re-iterate you’ll then need to buy or at least obtain a Windows copy + licence.

Russell96

Or try Wine or Codeweavers Crossover, well if either supports the app in question.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks footflaps, i am not very knowledgeable in these matters…… do you mean i need to buy windows and install it on my macbook?

trusslebabes
    Free Member

edit: thanks all but i now have no idea at all of what you’ve said actually means………

trusslebabes
    Free Member

the programme is called metron from an american company called eponatech.

scotroutes

This

If you’ve no idea where to start or how to follow the instructions above then you have bought yourself a whole world of pain.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll give this one more go.

What is the software that you bought? As in, the software that is PC only. What is it?

the programme is called metron from an american company called eponatech.

Ooooh. Niche.

Just so I understand. You spent $799 on software before checking it would run on your Mac?

Might be easier to buy a cheap laptop.

footflaps

do you mean i need to buy windows and install it on my macbook?

Fundamentally yes, there are just different ways of doing it.

3. is probably the cheapest option though…..

chiefgrooveguru

I have VMware on my Mac for running Windows software. With a four finger swipe it goes across to a Windows XP virtual machine that I have all my esoteric engineering software on. Works remarkably well. I just stuck an ancient copy of Lemmings on it too! 🙂

jamj1974

Step 1. Buy parallels software download and install on your Mac – about £60 when I bought it…?
    Step 2. Buy Windows 7 or Windows 8 and download
    Step 3. Create a Virtual Machine using the functionality of Parallels
    Step 4. Install Windows 7 or 8 that you downloaded in Step 2 on this new virtual machine created in Step 3
    Step 5. Install your above mentioned software on the new Windows-based VM you have just created in Steps 4 & 5

Job done!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Try wine bottler – it packages most windows programs into a mac app so it can run in OSX, and its free. I used to use VM fusion on WinXP but binned it as too clunky and didn’t want Win vulnerability since they stopped XP support. Wine bottler works on almost all the programs I want!

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Crossover is nice, I use it to run Foobar2000

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depending on what needs to interface with it take a look at the Amazon Web services stuff, virtual pcs and there is a free tier if you only need it occasionally. Or a cheap laptop.

scaredypants

if it runs on windows 8, download & try the W10 preview and try that – it’s free

(make sure someone who knows what they’re doing installs it though)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Niche indeed.

By far the most popular options are VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop. They’ve both been around a long time now and are pretty easy to set up. Parallels use to be the more user friendly option but I’ve not used either in a while (can usually find native Mac stuff these days.) You’ll just need a Windows licence and an image which you can probably just download from MS.

brassneck

WINE and then Crossover are the cheapest solutions if the app works OK. But after spending a few hundred quid on software I’d want perfect myself so go with Bootcamp or Fusion/Parallels if it must run on your Mac.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks all, i ended up talking to a mate who has more of an idea than me and as a result i have downloaded and installed Parallels tonight and will buy windows tomorrow and install it.

TBF Jamie it doesn’t tell you on the website what OS is required 😳 but i should have checked 😀

I like niche…… its the way of the future 8)

Thanks again

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help required: how to run PC programme on a Mac’ is closed to new replies.