Home Forums Bike Forum Help please.. Rear derailleur issue.. Skipping in small cog

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by duir.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help please.. Rear derailleur issue.. Skipping in small cog
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Help!

I have noticed recently that my chain is jumping when in the smallest cog. .didn’t bother fixing it for a few rides as I never really use the 11 tooth and always forget until I’m out on the bike that it’s an issue, however tonight I found some time and thought I’d address the issue.

Should be simple adjustment of the limit screw . Didn’t work. Undid the cable and reindexted.. Still no joy. Eventually I tried riding it with no cable attached to take that out the equation . Still rubbish.

The chain and cassette are less than 400 miles old and used mainly on road, and it never slips in any other gear so doubt the chain is worn.  What am I missing as its annoying me.

Ta

Poopscoop

If DEFINITELY not an indexing, limiter issue issue you might suspect:

A tight link in chain.

A damaged tooth on the 11T

Check jockey wheels are ok

Check mech hanger is straight

Is the problem at the front, the chain line causing chain to ride a tooth/ different ring when on very outside gear

Wear, try a different chain as that’s easiest to change.

dantsw13

Stiff link in chain?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I thought it may be a buggered chain. .Even though its reasonably new. I will check out all your suggestions. Ta

scotroutes

“Jumping”. Do you mean trying to move from the small cog to the next or do you mean jumping around the cog itself?

Is your mech hanger straight? Have you checked it – with the correct tool?

Check your B screw. If there’s not enough chrain wrap then there’s a chance the chain could be slipping under pressure.

Akers

Check if there is any dirt or debris in the gap between the sprockets. The channel is quite shallow between the smallest cogs and if there is greasy grime or a twig in there the chain can ride up on it and not engage on the sprocket teeth properly.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Are you sure the cassette lockring isn’t for 12T? That would make the chsin not fully sest on the 21t sprocket.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Crikey . Not thought of any of this stuff!

First thing I’ll do will be check for a stiff link.

Scotroute. .it skips when not changing gear. Can you please expand on the b screw.  How can I tell?

Ill also check the lock ring and teeth for damage/obstruction tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Poopscoop

Count up how many revs you turn it!

Turn the b screw out, anti clockwise obvs, one full turn at a time and see if it improves. No difference, wind back to original!

TiRed

Lockring is for a 12T cassette. If it’s too big the chain doesn’t sit on the 11T properly. Do you have another wheel that you can test. That’s how I spotted it on the bike Ive just built.

Poopscoop

TiRed…. Are the lock rings marked in anyway?

Asking for my own future reference. :-)

tpbiker
    Free Member

It’s ten speed, worth an 11 speed lock ring.. Is that the issue

duir
    Free Member

11t damages tooth which may not even look damaged. If it’s shimano you can buy a replacement 11t cog not sure about SRAM.

Another thing to check is any quick links in the chain some are uni directional and can cause skipping.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help please.. Rear derailleur issue.. Skipping in small cog’ is closed to new replies.