Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • HELP NEW BIKE NIGHTMARE!!!
  • lewymtb
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Not having luck with bikes at the moment. For a start, took delivery of a Canyon Strive last week. Had to send it back because the finish was really bad, there was cable rub all over it, (after payng extra for a bike protection box), and the customer service rep in germany when i rang had a serios attitude problem.

So back to square one. Tried out a Zesty 314 and loved it. The guy in the bike shop said he gave me a medium and it felt great. I never checked as i assumed he knew. So i ordered a Zesty 514 in a medium.
    It arrived yesterday evening, i collected it and was going to take it out for a spin tomorrow.

BUT!!! It looks bigger than the 314 i rode last week. In fact i’m sure it is. Although i haven’t ridden it it just doesn’t feel comfortable and the measurements are quite big for a medium. Anyone have experience or opinions?. I’m just under 5’10. My gut really tells me to go with a small. The medium looks and feels quite big it really does.

Any help would be very very much appreciate it as i’m taking the bike back to the shop tomorrow.

Thanks,

orangeboy
    Free Member

If you got the bike from the same shop as the test , can’t see them having an issue in swapping yours for one in the same size as you tested

lewymtb
    Free Member

i didn’t…

neallyman
    Free Member

5’10” equals medium every day of the week, certainly not a small.

neallyman
    Free Member

double post. doh

chiefgrooveguru

i didn’t…

Why not?

However, at 5’10” I wouldn’t ride a small – what length stem is on it? There’s usually plenty of shortening ability there.

lewymtb
    Free Member

My local preferred shop didn’t have one to ride in stock. So they sent me to their mates in another shop who had one. It was all cool in the gang.

I’m 5’9 and a half (splitting hairs i know). Em the stem is 70mm from alan key to centre of handlebars and the stem itself from edge of bars to the edge of the stem is 40mm. Sorry. It’s been a while.

To be honest the top tube seems really high as the head angle is incredibly slack.

somafunk

Lewymtb : We sell Lapierre’s in our shop and being only 5ft 6″ myself i would quite happily ride a medium Zesty with a 70mm stem, i certainly would not ride a small as i’d be far too cramped unless i used a 100mm+ stem and had massive seatpost height so unless you have teeny legs and teeny arms along with an abnormally large torso you’ll be fine, in fact i may have sized you for a large zesty/shorter stem dependant on seeing you in person.

Just ride it and chill…..you’ll be fine as it’s just new bike panic you have, it’ll pass – don’t worry 😀

lewymtb
    Free Member

Thanks Somafunk!. I appreciate that. Some sound advice.

iainc

Are you sure it is a medium ?

jimjam
    Free Member

A Zesty 514 is actually a bigger bike than the 314 (presuming we are talking 2013 bikes). There is a difference between the alloy and the carbon. I think it’s only 20mm or so on the seat post, all other dimensions are the same. Something to do with clearance for dropper posts.

As others have said though at 5’9 you will definitely not want a small Zesty. The medium 2013 bike is too short already in my opinion. Considering how short the top tube is on the small I’d not recommend it for anyone over 5’5. I know a few people around 5’6 who ride a medium comfortably. I’m 5’9 and I had a medium 514. I prefered the reach of the large frame but I just didn’t have clearance I wanted with the saddle down. I even contemplated hacking the seat tube down a bit.

chiefgrooveguru

Have you ridden it at all? My MTB looks and feels huge in my house/garage but perfect once I’m riding it. They’re not BMXs! If it still feels too long you could go from 70 to 60/50/40mm.

50mm on my bike so Steve Jones doesn’t chastise me in a uniquely stream of consciousness prose for having no rear suspension and the wrong size wheels and bars AND stem, should we ever share a trail… 😉

chiefgrooveguru

A Zesty 514 is actually a bigger bike than the 314. There is a difference between the alloy and the carbon.

You’re right – just the seat tube though.

jimjam
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

You’re right – just the seat tube though.

Yessss. I know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘HELP NEW BIKE NIGHTMARE!!!’ is closed to new replies.