Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help needed – servicing my Magura Wotan forks.
  • dazzlingboy

After receiving no reply at all from the local Magura “passion point” dealer (another story), I’ve opened up the forks for a simple service all as per Magura service docs. I’m new to this kind of spannering so wasn’t too sure what to expect. After spilling oil all over the kitchen floor, I have removed the lowers and can clean the seals etc.

Question – with the lowers removed, I can push in the individual legs. The rebound leg feels firm and smooth – kind of as you would expect. The other leg, with the Albert Select, pushes in very easily. When I switch AS on, it becomes firmer, but in both settings I can hear the oil sloshing around inside – is that normal, or do I need to send them away for a full service?

Thanks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I share your frustration with Magura’s customer service (or lack thereof).

It sounds about right to me, if the seals had broken then Albert Select wouldn’t be working at all, no?

What was the state of the oil that came out of the lowers?

dazzlingboy

Oil was actually ok – I don’t think a service was necessary but after 2 weeks in the Alps I thought it wouldn’t do any harm. All I’m doing is cleaning and replacing the lubricating oil in the lowers. Some oil was leaking past the seals in France after lots of riding so I thought they’d be dry/contaminated but no – not really. And it really is a doddle to get the lowers off and have a look around inside although not really into the true workings of the fork.

The stanchions are a bit worn internally but I bought the forks 2nd hand so not sure how much use/abuse they had previously. I’ll maybe post some pics up later.

On Magura’s customer service, I’ve had mixed results. I bought 2 pairs of forks (on bikes) 2nd hand/ex demo from the Hub at Glentress. Both times they sent them away to Magura (I said I’d do the deal if the forks had a service) and both times they came back, fully serviced and with brand new lowers completely FOC. On one pair (Thors) the brake mount was (unknown to me) cracked so fair play for spotting it, admitting it and replacing no questions asked.

Since then however, I’ve tried to get some service on a couple of issues from the “official” Magura guys for Edinburgh and been completely ignored both times. I suspect this has more to do with the dealer in question than Magura but I dunno. May try via the Hub again but they’re not so handy for me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

How does the fork feel to you in use? Simply stripping the lowers and relubing can make a massive difference.

dazzlingboy

Fork feels tip top. It was the sight of oil coming out the top seals (mind you that was under fairly severe loading in hot weather) that made me think it might benefit from some TLC. I’ll be putting it back together tonight and hopefully riding it tomorrow night so will be able to compare before/after.

Mike
    Free Member

Did you manage to find details of oil weight/height as I need to do mine soon!

tom84
    Free Member

this looks helpful, simple looking sevice instructions.

http://mikelevy.pinkbike.com/blog/Magura-Wotan.html

Ewan
    Free Member

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=434278

8th post down – magura proper service manual for durins (wotans are identical but with a bigger diameter). Quite like rockshox.

PS. You need join mtbr to read the attachment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help needed – servicing my Magura Wotan forks.’ is closed to new replies.