Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help needed! Building the ultimate budget hardtail from scratch.
  • theocb
    Free Member

MTB Prices seem to have spiralled out of control over the last few years so I thought it might be worth getting the STW massive with all their experience to help build a NEW budget hardtail that ticks all the boxes.

Light, strong, nimble, all day do it all trail thrasher.

How cheap can we go without a big compromise
    Full build from BB to Grips
    120-140mm front forks.
    New parts not second hand
    Geared not single speed
    Any wheel size
    Prices, weights (with comparisons would be great) and links would all be helpful.

porter_jamie

well i have a 2nd hand 456 frame you can have! i’m not helping much am i

iamroughrider
    Free Member

maybe have a look at frames such as Brand X and basic components such as deore etc running kit and clearance / bars stems etc.

AlexSimon

If having to buy new, an off-the-shelf bike will be much cheaper.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Deore groupset from Rose bikes

26″ Superstar crest on switch hub wheels £200

Find a decent 2nd hand rs fork

Superstar finishing kit

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t think you can beat a 456 Carbon frame for light(1500gms), cheap(they’ve been as low as £249, I think) and strong.

br
    Free Member

I’d look first at a fully-built On One.

paladin

I used a 2nd hand malt frame with new slx groupset , recon silver forks, mt55 wheels,ardents.

Total price was just over 700.
    Total weight just over 11 kg.

I like it.

Stoner
    Free Member

On sunday night I have an eBay listing starting for some immaculate U-Turn revs that came off a 456 from 2006. Theyve done less than 300 miles – the Mrs’ bike, hardly ever used off road. Almost NOS condition. Any STW folk winning can have 10% discount off the winning auction price.

Cheezpleez

Cheapest: Just watch the classifieds on here. You’ll get a bargain as long as you’re in no rush and you don’t have fixed ideas about your spec.

Otherwise it’s going to be a question of looking for bargains on Rose, bike discount.de, Merlin On-One and CRC, etc

Cheezpleez

But if I was building a bike on a super-tight budget it would be a rigid SS.

IainAhh
    Free Member

I have both built up and bought discounted new off the shelf. You are probably going to spend almost as much building it up especially if limited to new parts. I built up a hardtail for commuting and messing about with second hand frame & wheels
    , some bits i had already like tyres, handlebars, stem, seat etc and some new parts e.g. cranks. Even as a single speed it still added up to about £500. Enjoyed putting it together. Suspension forks & wheels cost quite a bit.The advantage being you can spec it / customise it to how you like.

You will find a good spec bike maybe up to half price new a year or more out of date. You can’t beat that for value & new.

dannybgoode

Do you really think prices have spiraled out of control?

Sure, the 2016 bikes (or whatever year they will optimistically call bikes released in 2013) that will be out shortly will carry a premium but then you’ll get great prices on 2012 / 2013 bikes which ride just as well.

Agree that generally, unless you can find some stonking deals on bits it would be cheaper to buy a complete bike – the manufacturers can haggle a whole load better with the bits makers that you or I can.

Cheers

Danny B

matt_outandabout

If having to buy new, an off-the-shelf bike will be much cheaper.

^this, last years model of Deore(ish) kit with simple forks. Heavy, functional, durable.

deviant
    Free Member

I put together a hardtail like you’re describing when i came across a Kona Caldera frame on CRC’s website reduced to £150….it prompted a cheap build using Superstar and On-One kit, Deore gears and brakes from CRC also and some Dave Hinde wheels (i know, i know but they were fine!)….bike was awesome, genuiely regret selling it.

takisawa2

Inbred, Recons & Deore.
    Far more capable than the price tag would suggest.

gears_suck
    Free Member

theocb – Member
    Prices, weights (with comparisons would be great) and links would all be helpful.

Would you like us to build it for you as we’ll. lazy bugger! 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help needed! Building the ultimate budget hardtail from scratch.’ is closed to new replies.