Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Help me upgrade from my stolen Nikon body and Kit-lens
  • kayak23

Hello.

I got my camera stolen on holiday recently, just got a small percentage of the money back on insurance so am looking to upgrade from the Nikon D90 I had previously. I have another Nikon lens and I am very familiar with the system so am looking to stay with Nikon.

I had a very brief idea that I’d go full-frame and looked at the D600, which has a lot of good points but also seems to fall a bit flat in some reviews. To be honest, I’m not sure that I can stretch to that financially anyway, although it will have to be purchased on credit anyway as I don’t have nearly that kind of cash.

Anyway, as I say, I had the D90, a friend has the D7000 which I demoed and really liked, so I think, body-wise, I have pretty much decided to get the D7100 which is a very, very good body (So I read) and has a few upgrades from the D7000 previously.

I am quite happy to be swayed in another direction though but can’t see what else is good for that money that Nikon have.

So, talking lenses. I’d quite like to get hold of something a little better than the standard 18-105VR that comes with this body, and have done a fair bit of looking about and am getting drawn towards the Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX.
    It gets pretty good reviews, has a relatively wide low end and a decent high end, and you know, looks alright.
    My other lens is a Nikon 35mm prime by the way.

Would love to hear some experience from others, maybe some good and bad points if you have direct experience of this kit or similar.

Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I had a grand to spend on a camera it’d be an Olympus OM-D 🙂

footflaps

I have the D7000 and it’s excellent. A good step up from the D90 (I went from the D80).

After than it gets expensive and once you get to FX bodies the prices jump esp the lenses.

kayak23

it’d be an Olympus OM-D

As I say, I already have a Nikon lens, and like the layout of Nikon.
    There are other makes besides Nikon and Canon? 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d get a full frame camera. 😀

kayak23

I’d get a full frame camera

Can you elaborate on the reasons why though? Part of what keeps me in DX is the actual physical size is a bit smaller, and better for lugging about on the bike..

footflaps

Can you elaborate on the reasons why though? Part of what keeps me in DX is the actual physical size is a bit smaller, and better for lugging about on the bike..

Yep, I have FX and DX and the FX is too heavy / expensive to shove in a Camelbak and ride all day, so I use the DX for that.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Everything is a stop better on full frame and as Nikon does a cheap full frame I’d find it an irresistible option.

If a compact system is what you’re after I wouldn’t look at a dslr. Molgrips suggestion is interesting, but you’ll spend much more on lenses than you would with a nikon FF to get equivalent results.

Yep, I have FX and DX and the FX is too heavy / expensive to shove in a Camelbak and ride all day, so I use the DX for that.

Same here, except my aps-c camera is mirrorless and a fraction of the size/weight of a dslr.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you’re staying with Nikon then just get whatever you can afford. There’s not much else to say… The D7100 seems so often to be lauded as the ‘best’ amateur DSLR around (including price as a factor) and I doubt you’ll find yourself feeling short-changed.

I use a D7000 and a D600, by the way. If you have any specific questions, I’ll be glad to try and answer them.

redpanda
    Free Member

I had a very brief idea that I’d go full-frame and looked at the D600, which has a lot of good points but also seems to fall a bit flat in some reviews.

Forget the ‘reviews’; the D600 is a fantastic camera. The larger sensor means much better low-light capability. As for physical size; the D600 is barely bigger than the D7100, as both share very similar bodies. If you want a small DSLR, get a D3200 or a Canon 100D.

Full frame will cost you a lot more though. There’s a good reason for that; it’s better.

footflaps

Nikon does a cheap full frame I’d find it an irresistible option.

But their f2.8 lenses aren’t cheap or light, whereas you can smaller, lighter and much cheaper f2.8 DX lenses.

stumpy01

Mate of mine has the Nikon full frame. Can’t remember which one. The quality is amazing, but the photo’s he took at my wedding range from 9.9Mb to over 15Mb for JPEG!!
    For pro use, sure, go for it. But for enthusiast use – the D7000 is a belter and the 7100 is supposed to be a fair amount better than it.

I’d be spending the money on the D7100. Not sure about lens though. Keep looking to upgrade my kit lens but can’t decide what I’d go for.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Full frame will cost you a lot more though. There’s a good reason for that; it’s better.

Will it?

Do the comparisons. You need faster lenses on aps-c to get the same noise and depth of field. I’ve found FF lenses are cheaper than the equivalent aps-c lenses.

But their f2.8 lenses aren’t cheap or light, whereas you can smaller, lighter and much cheaper f2.8 DX lenses.

You’d need f1.8 to replicate the same image characteristics. Compare the sigma 18-35 f1.8 with a 28-50 f2.8 (or a lens that actually exists like a 28-70). It’s not cheaper or smaller.

Or you could get the same results on ff with a small, cheap f4 lens.

redpanda
    Free Member

I’ve found FF lenses are cheaper than the equivalent aps-c lenses.

I’m using my old Nikkors, so for me at least, FF has actually been a lot cheaper. 😉

I’m talking about the bodies; the D7100 is about £800 if you shop around, whilst the D600 more like £1400. That’s a big difference. Worth it though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips suggestion is interesting, but you’ll spend much more on lenses than you would with a nikon FF to get equivalent results

It depends on what kind of results you are after. If you want to pixel peep, then this is not far off. But if you want to take a weather sealed camera out on your bike, I struggle to see any advantage of the 7100. IQ of both is similar, the cost similar money and the OM-D is much smaller.

EDIT Actually, if you look on dpreview’s studio scene comparison the OM-D seems to be quite a lot better than the D7100 even at ISO 12800. That surprises me actually!

footflaps

My preferred Camelbak photo kit is a D7000 and an f2.8 17-50 if it’s cloudy and the Nikon 18-200 f3.5-f5.6 if it’s sunny. Can happily ride all day with that and it’s pretty compact / robust.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It depends on what kind of results you are after. If you want to pixel peep, then this is not far off. But if you want to take a weather sealed camera out on your bike, I struggle to see any advantage of the 7100. IQ of both is similar, the cost similar money and the OM-D is much smaller.

Sure, there’s more than just image quality to consider.

EDIT Actually, if you look on dpreview’s studio scene comparison the OM-D seems to be quite a lot better than the D7100 even at ISO 12800. That surprises me actually!

You probably want to compare actual iso with claimed. Olympus was overstating by a factor of 2 previously.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Unless you’re going pro or using it in a non-bike capacity (as it not lugging it about in a hydration pack), I really would stick with a DX.

I recently bought a second-hand D300 which I’ve used alongside my D90 (how pro am I?) It is definitely a nicer camera, but I wouldn’t want to go any bigger to lug around. As it is, if I take an SLR on the bike (I normally don’t) I’d probably grab the D90.

As it is I’ve lost touch a little with DSLR world, so can’t comment on the 7000 or its competitors. 🙁

stumpy01

kayak23 – Member

I have another Nikon lens and I am very familiar with the system so am looking to stay with Nikon.

molgrips – Member
    If I had a grand to spend on a camera it’d be an Olympus OM-D

kayak23 – Member

As I say, I already have a Nikon lens, and like the layout of Nikon.

molgrips – Member

But if you want to take a weather sealed camera out on your bike, I struggle to see any advantage of the 7100. IQ of both is similar, the cost similar money and the OM-D is much smaller.

Is it just me, or…….?! 🙄

5thElefant
    Free Member

He’s an evangelist! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

You probably want to compare actual iso with claimed. Olympus was overstating by a factor of 2 previously.

As opposed to about 1.5 for Nikon. But there’s no way that’d be enough to persuade me to carry almost twice the weight around.

He’s an evangelist!

I’m a fanboi, there’s a difference 🙂 I just feel sorry for companies who produce great kit but get overlooked. The OP only has one Nikon lens, so he’s hardly tied in.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As opposed to about 1.5 for Nikon.

Yeah, you’re right. I checked too 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, there’s the new EM-1 too.. *drool* Costly tho.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

D7000 is a nice camer to use. Prefered it to the D90 and overall I think it was better than the D300.
    If it wasn’t for the DX chip I’d prefer it to the D800 as the frame reate is higher. Apart from the 800 having better low light performance and being sharper when used above 3200iso for the money the 7000 is better value for money.
    As for camera’s the D90 is one of the few I’ve actaully destroyed!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Lenses is a question on how much you or the bos is prepared to spend.
    Never like the mega zooms 6-500mm type things that start at F11 and go up to god know what.
    Iid kee the range short, even go for a prime 35mm lens. It’ll be sharper then save up for a used 80-200 which will be much sharper. Forget the bit in the middle, just take a step forward or back.

kayak23

The OP only has one Nikon lens, so he’s hardly tied in.

Well, I ‘Liked’ Nikon on Facebook too so, you know…. pretty tied in there.. 😉

I think that full frame may just be prohibitively expensive for me just now and perhaps not ideal for where I carry it. As of yet, I’ve not actually done anything much with my photos beyond viewing them on my computer and photo books so maybe a massive degree of detail isn’t so crucial?

Plus, the 35mm prime I have won’t work with the full frame will it? I love that lens too.

I’m quite liking the sound of the d7100, but I guess it’s more the lens I’m unsure of.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I suggested the 35mm as is its not as expensive as a 20 28 or 24mm lens. Don’t forget a 50mm isn’t a 50 on a dx camera. 28 to 35 is more like a standard on a dx chip. It’ll be sharper than a sharp thing too.
    Try a few and see which you like.

ski
    Free Member

If I had a chance to upgrade my D90 (I love my d90 btw) I would seriously look at the D600 with a 50mm f 1.4 a 70-300vr and the 28mm f2.8

Plus maybe a Tamron 90mm macro

OP – do you have to go for new? As a D700 at a nice price would leave you more to spend on lenses?

Russell96

D7000/D7100 have the auto focus drive screw for the older Nikon lenses which opens up your options a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would seriously consider a mirrorless camera of any kind rather than a DSLR if you are just going to be viewing on the computer or printing out at less than A2 or so. My wife just sold her first poster 20x30in, looked fine, customer was chuffed, it was taken on a compact.

footflaps

D7000/D7100 have the auto focus drive screw for the older Nikon lenses which opens up your options a bit.

Pretty much every model since the D40 has had this…..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Perhaps you mean that the AF drive is in the camera body, rather than relying on the lens having AF motors?

kayak23

molgrips – Member
    I would seriously consider a mirrorless camera of any kind rather than a DSLR

Not considering a compact but thanks. I had a Nikon d40 for years and loved it. When it broke I got the d90. I liked it but strangely the colour rendering never seemed as good as the d40.
    Now the d90 has gone, I want another dslr. I think you have much more creative scope with them.

mikey-simmo – Member
    I suggested the 35mm as is its not as expensive as a 20 28 or 24mm lens. Don’t forget a 50mm isn’t a 50 on a dx camera. 28 to 35 is more like a standard on a dx chip.

Thanks mikey-simmo. I already have the 35mm and that’s the reason I got it, due to it being equivalent to film 35mm.

ski – Member
    If I had a chance to upgrade my D90 (I love my d90 btw) I would seriously look at the D600 with a 50mm f 1.4 a 70-300vr and the 28mm f2.8

Plus maybe a Tamron 90mm macro

A full frame AND four lenses? Kerching!

OP – do you have to go for new? As a D700 at a nice price would leave you more to spend on lenses?

Yup, as I mentioned, it has to be on credit as I don’t have the cash.

dannybgoode

95% of image quality these days on like for like DSLR’s is down to the photographer and their knowledge of the equipment they use, 4% the lens and 1% the actual camera.

To say a FF is a stop better than a APS-C isn’t necessarily true either – check DXO labs for full sensor specifications etc and you will see that.

Bear in mind an APS-C camera is generally better for portraiture, telephoto etc due to the ‘crop’ factor of the sensor (bit misleading but using common parlance), tend to be cheaper and the images are a more manageable size.

If you are sticking with Nikon go the D7100 route and put the money you save over an FF on decent glass.

My tuppence worth…

Cheers

Danny B

kayak23

Thanks Danny B, makes sense. What glass would you recommend?

footflaps

My wife just sold her first poster 20x30in, looked fine, customer was chuffed, it was taken on a compact.

You do realise that most of the quality of a photo is down to the photographer and not the camera. You can take great photos on an iPhone, but it doesn’t mean everyone should only use iPhones as cameras…..

Probably the largest print I’ve had used commercially was taken with an £80 IXUS, ended up on an Oakley trade stand at a show in Germany. I still prefer using a decent DSLR over a compact any day.

5thElefant
    Free Member

To say a FF is a stop better than a APS-C isn’t necessarily true either – check DXO labs for full sensor specifications etc and you will see that.

Yes, the caveat should be for sensors of the same generation. Except for depth of field control.

Bear in mind an APS-C camera is generally better for portraiture, telephoto etc due to the ‘crop’ factor of the sensor (bit misleading but using common parlance), tend to be cheaper and the images are a more manageable size.

I’ve no idea what your rationale for better portraits from apsc might be. Having less depth of field control is not a good thing, and portraits would be a prime area where control is desirable.

Telephoto is debatable. That assumes a change in pixel density rather than format and demands higher quality lenses to make the most of the extra density.

Images of a manageable size is only an issue if you have an obsolete pc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Footflaps, my point was that stressing over IQ at pixel level is not as important as people seem to think.

I think you have much more creative scope with them.

DSLR vs compact, yes. DSLR vs mirrorless, there is far less in it, if anything. Mirrorless are just SLRs without the mirror.

dannybgoode

Portraiture on APS-C is generally easier and cheaper as you do not need such a long lens. Depth of Field control on modern APS-C sensors is absolutely fine for such things.

Sure, if you’re a pro with a studio setup go FF but I imagine the OP isn’t and therefore I stand by my comments.

Kayak – with regards to lenses – apologies I am not a Nikon shooter but didn’t feel it worth trying to convert you to Sony!

The best you can afford is all I can suggest and don’t dismiss lenses from Sigma and Tamron (Tamron’s 90mm macro lens is held in very high regard).

Find a good independent camera shop and see what they suggest.

If you do want converting to Sony let me know and I will happily preach from the Gospel!!

Cheers

Danny B

Conqueror
    Free Member

Yes I know OP said Nikon. However it seems a large group of people never look outside of Nikon/Canon. Probably partly because of their [relatively] huge marketing presence.

So here’s my hornet inducing snippet 😆 :

The Pentax K-5 at its current price a relative steal. 400-550 quid. It’ll blow anything in that price range out of the water.

Any lens you fit is stabilised on the Pentax DSLRs. Weather resistance and magnesium body on the K-5 – its built like a tank:

For those that get bogged down with numbers its very strong (technology isn’t the only part of a good picture though):

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Reviews/DxOMark-review-for-the-Pentax-K5

The best APS-C in all tested fields
    No need for suspense: this new 16.3 MP sensor is simply the best APS-C we have tested so far, sometimes able to compete even with very high-end full-frame cameras.
    The overall score of the K5 puts it in the lead with 82 points — more than 9 points better than the D90 or the Alpha 55, and 16 points ahead of the Canon 7D or 60D. The K5 is literally the best APS-C performer for each segment, even in low ISO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Help me upgrade from my stolen Nikon body and Kit-lens’ is closed to new replies.