Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Help me speed my computer up!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    That doesn’t sound like a good reason. You can look into sleep and hybernation modes, but if it’s got an SSD drive it should be able to boot from stone cold ‘off’ in less than 60 seconds, more likely 30 seconds.

That’s what I thought. Will check if he lets it go into sleep or hibernation mode.

So mines simply set to shut down after half an hour of nothing happening, if you need remote access to your computer then there’s a case for leaving it on, but otherwise not.

Mine go into sleep or standby but I do shut it down from time to time.

mattyfez

Sleep and hybernation modes have become fairly redundant given how quickly SSD’s can boot a system, they still have some niche uses, but they were typically used because waiting for 3 minutes or more was a pain in the butt.

seosamh77
    Free Member

robbo1234biking – Member
    Hi selled. Good idea I will have a look. Is it worth spending £100 plus on a ssd for it? Seems like a large investment on a 3 year old machine with a slow processor

Aye, you’re correct, I’d question the wisdom of putting a SSD in that machine tbh, keep the money put it towards a new machine.

Guess you can always put the ssd in any new machine further down the line as well.

Cougar

Good idea I will have a look. Is it worth spending £100 plus on a ssd for it? Seems like a large investment on a 3 year old machine with a slow processor

If you change computers later you can always keep the drive.

Me colleague, an engineer, said it is better to leave the computer on 24/7/365 then switching on and off.

Which is right?

In the modern world it’s an irrelevance. I’m guessing he’s older than I am, that might’ve been good advice in the 90s.

if it’s got an SSD drive it should be able to boot from stone cold ‘off’ in less than 60 seconds, more likely 30 seconds.

I’ve got a PC at work built from scrap that can do that on a mechanical HDD. Combination of UEFI and W10 I presume. It’s startling, christ only knows what it’d do with an SDD. I keep meaning to film it and show people, it staggers me.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, me colleague is over 60 … 😀

robbo1234biking

Well the tidy up of a number of programs and removal of Avast seems to have vastly improved it so I think I will leave it at that for the moment. It wasn’t so much start up time that was the issue but being slow when trying to use it. I think it was Avast plus to many apps searching for updates in the background that was slowing it down.

retro83
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    Sleep and hybernation modes have become fairly redundant given how quickly SSD’s can boot a system, they still have some niche uses, but they were typically used because waiting for 3 minutes or more was a pain in the butt.

I don’t think that’s true tbh, the advantage of sleep/hibernate is nothing to do with boot times really, it’s that it preserves the environment, i.e. all your programs etc are still open, windows in the right place, browser tabs still up etc.

mattyfez

it preserves the environment, i.e. all your programs etc are still open, windows in the right place, browser tabs still up etc.

To be fair I said fairly redundant, not completely redundant 😉

Personally I don’t tend to have open browsers or unsaved work floating about, and my PC is pretty damn quick, so I can open an app or browser with no bother.
    It’s a feature that I simply don’t really need any more.

I either lock the computer, or shut it down.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Question, getting this evo 250 tomorrow(opticalhousing came today), youse think? Should I clone to the new drive or reinstall? Baring in mind I reinstalled about 4/5 months ago, fine to clone, no funniness with the clone switching to traditional disk to sdd, I’m guessing windows will just recognise it’s now working with an ssd and adjust to suit(Even if it needs to)?.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, I’m just thinking out loud here, I pretty much can’t be arsed reinstalling everything, cloning it is! 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Help me speed my computer up!’ is closed to new replies.