Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help. Cracked/Chewed freehub body. Morzine Friday.
  • nickewen
    Free Member

So just took the cassette off to find the freehub body on my pro 2 evo to be chewed to pieces (had to really pull the cassette off) and it is cracked from top to bottom.

I’m starting to panic as I’m off to Morzine on friday for the first time. Wish I had never took the flipping thing off!

Can anyone recommend the cheapest and most efficient (i know) way to get this fixed? Is it a DIY job? CRC have them for £60.

I’m absolutely gutted as the wheels arent that old, albeit 2nd hand but the body was immaculate not so long ago. What are these things made of – cheese?!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Ta.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Send it back to hope…they will see you right.

nickewen
    Free Member

I bought them 2nd hand last year – so no receipts, nothing. Also not sure if it will get back in time if I send tomorrow?

jimw
    Free Member

They are easy to change without tools, well a vice may help if a bit stuck. See hope’s website for video. You can get steel freehub if worried about scoring from cassette

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get it in the post to hope tomorrow. You’ll get it back pretty quickly. Get a steel replacementfrom anyone who has stock.

Back up plan, borrow a wheel.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d still send it back to them… But in the mean time, I’d be buying a new back wheel…
    They’re pretty good on turnaround, but 2 days is pushing it.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Same happened to mine guys at Hope were great replaced it no fuss worth a phone call

legend
    Free Member

Do the obvious thing, phone Hope in the morning and speak to them about your situation.

toppers3933
    Free Member

call hope and see what they can do for you. be honest and tell them about the urgency they may well take pity on you. worth a go.
    they are dead simple to change, i assume you have the broken one off? if not it should come off with a goof hard pull onde you have taken the axle cap of the end.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks all. Yep I’ll give em a phone call tomorrow but I think getting one ordered next day delivery may be quicker and do myself/take to shop? I’m absolutely furious with myself as the trip is already skinting me. No way I can afford a new back wheel.

DT78
    Free Member

Buy new wheel on credit card keep it in the box if the freehub gets sorted return it. Hope are good but a 2 day turnaround is asking alot

nickewen
    Free Member

I’m gonna try and take the broken one off now. What are peoples thoughts on whether Hope will do this free of charge? I could drive down there on Wednesday morning and the cost of fuel would be less than buying one online…. They’re based in Lancashire right?

nickewen
    Free Member

My dads 40 year old vice has just effin snapped in two!! Just about ready to lose the plot big time like. Desperados bottle openened. Getting better. Breathe.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

And I thought I had bad luck.. 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Call hope or nearest hope stockist. Explain whats happened & Buy Freehub body. Return yours to shop or hope and deal with who replaces/pays for what when you get home.

Candodavid
    Free Member

I have a pro 2 evo body, its used but still good, I will post tomorrow if you mail me your address.
    Nothing to pay, just drop some money in your local Macmillan charity box

nickewen
    Free Member

Absolute life saver. I will email now. Thanks very much David.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Buy a new hub, nick the body off it, sort it all out when you get back.

nickewen
    Free Member

Rang Hope. They said its not covered under any sort of warranty as bought 2nd hand… They said I could chance it and send it back not mentioning anything and it might get done free of charge or I might get charged…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Relax.

How to replace the freehub

Freehub from Merlin(or take up Candodavid on his kind offer)

You can have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon. Don’t start posting wheels around the countryside.

shortcut

If you are anywhere near Basingstoke I can lend you one and fit it for you!!

Email in profile.

nickewen
    Free Member

I’m up in Newcastle shortcut but thanks for the offer. Think I’m sorted now anyhoo. Cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help. Cracked/Chewed freehub body. Morzine Friday.’ is closed to new replies.