Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help choosing new smartphone (not IPhone) after having Galaxy S3
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I have come to the end of my contracts and wish to change to something cheaper (£42 per month). I’ve had a Galaxy S3 and fancy something similar, easy to use, good camera, but ideally on a £25/month contract or so.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I’m a useless technophile so the simpler the better.

Also, is it easy to transfer all my data/contacts etc over to a new one? I have an online account with my current provider – can that info be snatched and put onto a new one?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the S3? I’d go to a sim only contract until it breaks.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get the shittest, cheapest phone you can on the lowest possible deal, and use your S3 instead of the one provided?

Edit: Or as the post above, but then you won’t have a spare.

thehustler
    Free Member

……………..or wait a month and get the S5

theflatboy
    Free Member

My contract ran out and I’ve just held on to my S3, now on Giffgaff paying £10 a month for more than I ever use. When the S3 dies I’ll get a replacement Nexus or similar and still be better off than going on to an extortionate 18 month / 2 year lease purchase. Never again!

nickjb
    Free Member

GiffGaff £10 a month PAYG deal (or similar with 3/virgin) and keep the S3 or buy a moto G if you fancy something new. Spend the change on bike bits

Stoner
    Free Member

+1

Just bought an “as new” nexus 4 for Mrs Stoner off ebay for £150 last week. (I already have one, my brother bought an as new s/h one a few months back too) superb phones.

We pay £11.60 per month each from O2 for more than we need in the bundle. (300 mins national/mobile, 300 mins O2, 250Mb, free txts) on a 12 month sim only deal. Normally we only do 30 day SIM only contracts, but the price per month works out such that we only have to make it to 6m of a 12m contract and cancelling before we would break even.

theflatboy
    Free Member

And as has been shown by the S4 and the info on the soon to come out S5, there isn’t really much in the phone market that means a new phone is actually an upgrade – the S3 does everything worth doing that its successors do, the tech in phones has basically plateaued.

crankboy
    Free Member

“My contract ran out and I’ve just held on to my S3, now on Giffgaff paying £10 a month for more than I ever use. When the S3 dies I’ll get a replacement Nexus or similar and still be better off than going on to an extortionate 18 month / 2 year lease purchase. Never again!”

This but I am on £5 per month, with the free calls/texts to giffgaff numbers and free minutes added to my plan when called from other networks it is all I need . The data allowance is short lived on that “goodybag” but I only need to use data when I have access to a wifi at home or work so no big issue for me.

giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/crankboy1965 is a link to sign up from which I benefit but you don’t lose.

miketually
    Free Member

When my contract runs out in October, I’m switching to Giffgaff and keeping my current handset until it dies. I’ll probably then replace it with either a Moto G (or equivalent) or a second hand Nexus 4 or 5 (or 6 or whatever) bought outright.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Lumia 925s have a very nice camera up there with a decent compact – runs Windows Phone which is a nice interface, I think it’s easier to use than Android. Best to go into a shop for a look at it though, some people really don’t like it.

Sonys have nice cameras too – been hearing good things about the Z Mini.
    Nexus are nice and the Moto G is a very good phone for the money, but camera isn’t very special

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of people are going the ‘buy decent used phones and buy a sim only contact’ then! Sounds ideal, though I’ve just checked my contract and it’s actually not up until December 🙁 Darn snarf.

Just bought a Nokia 105 as the replacement work phone, but I do like having mobile internet on my personal phone so will stick to something decent for that.

cheers_drive

The new HTC one is due out soon, I’ve seen a preproduction sample and it’s very nice.

kayak23

I have the current HTC One Mini. It’s Bob-on like.

moonsaballoon

I went from a s2 to a htc 1 about 6 months ago and really like it . On 4g now also and that has made a big difference when it comes to using spotify and tune in radio when out with the dog . But if i am honest i have pretty much all the same apps i had on the s2 on it so it does not really do anything the old phone would not .

Hohum
    Free Member

I am going to keep my s2 until it dies and then buy a nexus outright and carry on with my sim only deal.

My days of paying silly money a month are over.

grim168
    Free Member

I bought an s3 from asda a few months ago and when my contract with orange ended last month i rang to cancel planning on going to giffgaff. Orange then offered 1.25 gig 1000 mins and unlimited texts for £11 per month on a 12 month deal.

nickjb
    Free Member

Did you particularly want to stay with Orange? GiffGaff would have been cheaper and much more flexible.

kevin1911

I presume there’s no minimum term with GiffGaff is there?

And is it easy to get a PAc when the right contract deal comes up?

My contract ends in about 4 weeks, so am thinking of going to Giff gaff while I wait for the right combination of phone/tarrif/cashback/freebies to come along.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Correct. Yes. Do it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yet another recommendation to go Sim only and keep your phone. Also I have a 3 mobile Wifi device and it’s so much faster than t-mobile/EE, when my T-mobile contract expires in July I’m keeping the phone (iPhone 4S) and going with 3 on a rolling monthly contract, as when the new iPhone comes out I’l buy my own unlocked phone from Apple.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m on GiffGaff with the new Sony Z1 Compact. I was an iPhone fan boi until I got this!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing new smartphone (not IPhone) after having Galaxy S3’ is closed to new replies.