Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help and advice with video editing.
  • mansell
    Free Member

Hi. I have just started to do some video editing of the riding around us. I’m using a GoPro HD and a mac so all fairly high res stuff and the image quality is really good, but I’m just looking for advice on how to improve movies that I’m doing. Each one is getting better, but i’m slightly concerned with the GoPro that it will all end up looking rather similar. Also looking to get some slick titles done.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Video below and others at Vimeo

[video]http://vimeo.com/28756769[/video]

Euro
    Free Member

Looks like a great trail.

Still learning the ropes myself, but here’s a few tips that may help.

Mixing up the views can help keep them interesting. Get yourself the bike mount kit and experiment with positioning. A lot of folk prefer the chest mount over the helmet one, as it gives a greater sensation of speed but getting a good field of view is fairly critical. Yours shows too much bike and not enough trail imo. If in doubt, point it higher that you think.

I ride trails that 99.5% of the STW mob wont recognise and therefore can’t relate to. It can be a bit boring to show a complete run down a trail that the viewer hasn’t ridden, so edit down the good bits to help hold attention.

The Gopro is a pretty good hand-held camera too so it doesn’t have to be all onboard stuff. The wide angle means you can get pretty close to the action.

It’s nice to have a rider in front too. Helps give a bit of scale and speed.

Music choice is generally personal, but I find it helps with editing.

Here’s a couple of my attempts using stationary/hand held and helmet mount (i only have the basic mounts).

Inners this time last year
    [video]http://vimeo.com/14415385[/video]

Cavehill, Belfast last month
    [video]http://vimeo.com/28099156[/video]

fisha
    Free Member

Yup – I’d agree with the above. You need to either have

multiple cameras
    or move the camera to different angles

so that you get a good variety of shots. I reckon that I was chopping down about 1hr of footage into 10 minutes of usable shot on the youtube videos I made a while back.

On of things that limits me at the moment is that I need a wide angle lens setup for the camera. At the moment, its just too narrow a field.

Even daft little side shots i think help … look at about 1m25s on this video of mine ( link ) where the chain line jumps in time to the music … I like it as its a tenny bit interesting. tthe rear facing view was taken by one of those cheapo MiniDV cameras duct taped to the frame. The forward facing shot with an HD Sony Camcorder.

If you look at some of the other vids of mine, I think the Irvine one is the best all round I’ve done so far as its a mix of moving shots and standing still shots watching others go by.

One thing about the videos if mine is you really notice the lack of wide angle I think.

MrSmith
    Free Member

yes to most of the above.
    cut more, a bit of obvious speed ramping at the slow bits wouldn’t hurt, be more ruthless and don’t hold onto footage just because you like a certain bit, don’t be afraid to move around time wise so don’t think of time as linear and limit yourself to chronological order. you really need other off bike footage as it’s just headcam, if you can’t do that try mounting it backwards or somewhere else on the bike.

mansell
    Free Member

Thank you very much to everyone who has just posted. Very useful indeed. I will be out filming in the next few days and will try and get some more interesting angles and try to get some standing/stationary stuff as well to throw in there.

Fisha: Like the idea of just random shots of bike. Think that works really well.

Cheers for everyone’s help.

mansell
    Free Member

Hi all.

After your advice and a bit of playing around on some tracks I have managed to cobble together another video. Hopefully this one is a bit more varied. There are no static shots in it, but when ever I have some time next then I will try and get some more clips.

[video]http://vimeo.com/29083165[/video]

qcamel
    Free Member

what a great thread and some great advice. What editing program are you guys using on the Mac? Just been given a GoPro and shot on 1 ride, but not sure how to progress with the footage from its downloaded form in iPhoto to something with music and edits?

mansell
    Free Member

I’ve been using iMovie so far. From what I’ve been told, stick with that until you need something more as it will get all the basics up and running before getting confused on something like final cut.

cbike
    Free Member

Final cut is easier than the more recent imovie!

Notes on the video – Establishing shots in the car – too many.
    I’d make my clips shorter and cut quicker. eg clip 1,2,3,4,2,2,3,4 cut 3,2,3,4,2,3,4 cut and so on.

Other advice

Cutting to the musical phrases and beats help to keep up the pace.
    Synching up a landing with a drum hit for example or a climb/jump with a synth key change.
    Close ups, cutaways and other things of note all add interest.
    Tell a story.
    Break the rules as you see fit.

qcamel
    Free Member

THankyou… I will give iMovie a go as Final Cut seems to be nearly £200 🙁

jedi

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMSPkm6DSw[/video]

we never speed up bits. just sharp cuts to beats if possible

mansell
    Free Member

Hi

Just had another crack at doing a video with advice from here about using more stills and mixing it up a bit more. Can you please let me know what you think. Want to try and improve.

A mornings ride in Les Arcs

_tom_
    Free Member

i’m slightly concerned with the GoPro that it will all end up looking rather similar.

Unfortunately it will unless you have lots of off-bike shots. Even loads of different angles with the gopro mounted in different places on the bike is a bit rubbish imo. If you watch any “pro” video on pinkbike etc they’re almost entirely shot on cameras that aren’t on the bike, with a bit of headcam to change it up a bit. This means if you’re shooting it all yourself you’ll spend lots of time setting up the camera then riding back to it after you’ve done a section. It can be fun 🙂

For me, helmet/chest mounted gopros are great for capturing memories of a holiday or something, but not interesting enough for a full riding video.

fisha
    Free Member

Mansell

Much better video. One observation, the cuts at the into bit of makign the coffee didn’t seem in time to the beats ( … dont know if you were trying to or not though )

_tom_
    Free Member

I agree with fisha, vast improvement but some of the cuts aren’t in time which makes the transitions a bit jarring.

btw is that an SC Blur LT? How well does it hold up to regular alps abuse?

mansell
    Free Member

btw is that an SC Blur LT? How well does it hold up to regular alps abuse?

Yeah it is a Blur LT. Its amazing for everything outside of the lifts as you can pedal it all day and still have a real rip on the way back down again. Set up pretty all round with double ring, dropper post and lyrics. could go lighter but its super solid like that. Nomad is on its way for next summer. Coil shock, Totems and single ring for lift time,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help and advice with video editing.’ is closed to new replies.