Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Helmets to Fit Long Oval head?
  • zerolight
    Free Member

I’m having a tough time finding a helmet that fits. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I’ve got a long oval head, so larger than average front to back. I feel like I’ve tried helmets from most brands over the past couple of years and haven’t really had much luck getting something to fit. Most helmets almost fit. The largest size in everything is a tight fit front to back, putting pressure on my forehead, but especially in a small area at the boney bit at the back of my head. I think that boney bit just sticks out a little more than most. It feels like a helmet that’s about 5mm longer would do the trick but everything comes up small, or maybe has too shallow a curve at the back.

My current MTB helmet, which fits well enough, front to back (but is a bit wide) is my almost 6 years old Bell Super 3 (non-mips). The follow on mips version is too tight. I’m fairly sure I tried the Specialized Ambush and a Giro in Evans that were too small. I bought a 7idp something or other a few years back that was too small too. Helmets I’ve tried over the past two years and returned for being slightly short and causing discomfort:

Poc Kortal Race Mips
    Poc Tectal
    Troy Lee A3
    Fox Speedframe Pro

I’ve included my helmet journey for road bikes, as it might help rule out other brands? My current road bike helmet is an S-Works Prevail II MIPS which mostly fits. It’s a bit wide, and borderline too short, but positioned slightly lower on the front than that norm puts the rear in a place that results in acceptable comfort. It’s OK and only a year old, so it’s a keeper for now. Helmets from my road journey that were too short:

Poc Octal
    Poc Ventral Air Spin
    Smith Optics Overtake
    Giro Syntax Road
    Giro Cinder Mips
    Bell Stratus
    Kask Mojito

binman

I have the same shaped head and fit a Specialized Ambush. Large in other helmets but med in the Ambush

mashr

Sweet Protection work for me, unfortunately they seem harder to come by these days (think Stif still have a good stock iirc, they are also the importer). Bushwhacker, Dissenter and Trailblazer all fitted my long heed really well

Edit: tried an old Spec Ambush and that seemed good too. Not tried the new one with the styling. . .

Sandwich

Troy Lee Designs helmets fit my extra large, long head. Kask do an XL Mojito but only in white.
    I’m a 62 or 63 in MTB helmets. A non-MIPS Lazer large hat may also fit.

milko9000
    Free Member

I’ve got a Giger-inspired skull too and a Troy Lee A1 in largest size was the most comfy fit I’ve ever found. Have been sad to hear that the A2 and A3 change this! I’ve been meaning to try an Ambush as I’ve heard good things about them, but that’s just undergone an overhaul as well so who knows if it’s still for longheads.

POC and Smith were two brands I tried and rejected previously for same reasons. Urge looked like they might be a goer in proportion but topped out much too small, I think they might have started making larger sizes now but I’ve not had chance to retry.

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks guys, sounds like I need to try the Ambush again, and Sweet Protection, if I can find. Is the A1 a larger more oval fit than the A3? Maybe I need to try the A1 too as the A3 was close. Anyone tried a Sixer or Super Air?

zerolight
    Free Member

Looks like Sweet Protection top out at 61cm. I’m a 62cm oval.

jsync

Bell and giro are less round.

mashr

Anyone tried a Sixer

Yes, and it was nearly ok. I’m always between medium and large though and the med was too small and large too big.

Rich_s

Giro Source mips for me. Bean shaped head!

nedrapier

Bontrager is currently working for me. and TLD D4.

richardkennerley

Giro Source mips for me. Bean shaped head!

I could’ve written the exact same thing. And it seems we’re both called Richard. Wtaf. 🤔 Makes you think. But probably doesn’t.

mert
    Free Member

Kask and Giro for me, my heads 64-65 cm and very long.
    Not all models fit, but a bit of experimentation has given me a handful of helmets that fit without pain.

Steelsreal

fox speedframe for me, replaced my bell super 2

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can’t help with the narrow bit but defo can on the long.

Up until recently I’d always have to gouge out polystyrene with a knife/ hammer/flame to get enough length.

The only ever helmet I haven’t had to do that with is the Giro Fixture. So I bought 3 🙂

My Giro kayaking helmet is huge but still needed gouged.
    My Giro snowboarding helmet is sandpapered.
    My xxl 661 isn’t gouged or sanded or flamed, but even with the MIPS lining ripped out, is very very tight.
    So much so that I just bought a 7idp project23. It’s almost big enough, but not quite. Due to the positioning and attachment of the pads, I couldn’t trim the polystyrene so had to resort to using a hammer and reversed screwdriver to compress ( ie **** break!) the padding at the tough points [ forehead and that pointy bone you mentioned] to make it bigger.

So, I’m sure any of the ones mentioned above will be plenty long enough for you, without kicking the shit out of them first.

Kask and Giro for me, my heads 64-65 cm and very long.

I’ll admit it I’m sceptical. My head is only 63.75 or so and almost nothing fits. I’m surprised that you find anything at all if you are genuinely 65cm
    Have you ever found a FF that fits?

mert
    Free Member

I’ll admit it I’m sceptical. My head is only 63.75 or so and almost nothing fits. I’m surprised that you find anything at all if you are genuinely 65cm

It’s only certain models that sit on my head in a specific way, most don’t fit however i move them around, so whenever i need a new helmet it’s usually a matter of trying every one in several shops on. Two of the current ones are approaching 10 years old. (glad i don’t fall off too often).
    They also fit like skullcaps, no jiggle or wiggle at all. I reckon two of them i could ride without the straps done up at all.

Nope, only tried once or twice. Last time the biggest one in the shop would have peeled my scalp off if i’d managed to push it on.

I’ve also done the scraping the insides of the helmet out before now. (MET, Briko, Bell and a Giro) and ridden a few helmets with the internal harness removed.

Jordan

I’m surprised to see so many say Giro. Doesn’t work for my long/narrow head. IXS trail RS evo for me.

luket

I’m an oval 63. Relatively long and narrow. Same problem, I end up trying loads of helmets before I find something that fits. Current fave is a previous generation Specialized Ambush but they’re quite hard to find in the biggest XL size. I might go looking for another again actually. I’ve also got a Giro Chronicle MIPS which fits but is a bit tighter and massively sweatier – don’t like it much except in the winter. And a now old TLD A1, which also fits but I prefer the Ambush anyway for its better venting. Also have a TLD Stage full face in XXL which is an OK fit.

I can think of almost no other helmets I’ve tried recently that will go on my head at all.

bikesandboots

I returned a Smith helmet that was too narrow for the length I needed, so their shape might suit you.

thelooseone

I have the same shaped bonce as the OP, my current non-MIPS Spesh Ambush size L (57 – 63 cm) fits like a glove but is getting old. Tried the latest Ambush MIPS but the biggest size (L) is only 58 – 62 cm so it didn’t fit very well. I could wear it but it was a tad too small and put pressure on the front and back of my head. I then tried the Ambush Comp MIPS which comes in XL (59 – 63 cm) and it fits like a glove, better than my old non non-MIPS Ambush. The Comp is a bit chunkier than the Ambush but it fits me really well.

luket

I was just going to say similar re the Ambush. It seems you have to get the “comp” to get XL. So I’ve ordered one of those. They’re only £55 on cyclestore:

Linky

Can’t comment on its fit myself, as the one I have is previous iteration.

zerolight
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

I think I’ll try to find a Giro Source / Montaro, Bell Super Air, and Ambush Comp to try. Might give the Speedframe Pro another try (I recall it being not quite right, but maybe it will be workable. The Kortal and the A3 were so close – if I could have removed the sweat guard from the A3 without risking the return, that might have been enough, but not sure. I really like the look of the Smith Forefront 2, but I’ve seen a lot of reviews suggesting it was too small for their oval head – but then some contradict others, like its very oval, no its very round.

luket

On the Cyclestore £55 Ambush, it’s the previous generation one, same as my other one. Sounds like this is a good thing for the big of bonce.

So now I have two and can go without helmet light mount when I ride in the day, while at the same time management won’t notice I’ve bought a new helmet because they’re even the same colour. Win all round.

zerolight
    Free Member

I decided to try the Bell Super Air to see if it fits like my non mips Super 3. It does, more or less. Slightly snugger on the sides but about the same front to back. I think it might be a keeper. Little less mushroom than the S3 too.

zerolight
    Free Member

I take it back. The Super Air is too heavy. It’s over 500g which seems a lot for a trail helmet. On the bike it wobbles about unless it’s cranked up really right at which point it puts a lot of pressure on the forehead. It’s going back.

zerolight
    Free Member

OK. Taking forum advice I’ve ordered a L Ambush. Not the comp as I’d like to see whether the lighter one fits first and the L Ambush appears to be the same sizing as the XL Comp. Hoping this works out – I have three L Specialized road helmets that fit so fingers crossed. Only £77 at Sigma Sports.

shermer75
    Free Member

Can we favourite threads? I can’t see the button..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The larger of the 661/Bell/Giro helmet models fit my oversized head.

It does vary between models though, half fit, half are comically small even at the same nominal circumference.

I squeezed into a 661, somehow it wasn’t even the biggest size. Like the open face ones though it varied, the other model I tried on I couldn’t even get my head through the opening!

zerolight
    Free Member

Yeah my Bell Super 3 non MIPS is a perfect fit. No slip left to right, doesn’t need much tightening to the adjuster. But the newer Super Air needs much more tension to keep it stable, and it just feels very heavy. Haven’t found a Giro and forgot about 661. Probably doesn’t help that I’m used to my road helmet which weight exactly half the Super Air.

luket

Troy Lee Stage for me. In a perfect world it’d have another mm or 2 front to back but I’m happy with it. I tried a few options – everything I could find in stock that quoted up to 63 and this was the longest. Fox, 100%, maybe 661. That was 2020.

zerolight
    Free Member

I give up. The Ambush was the worst fit I tried. I’m just going to stick with the 6 year old Super 3 for now.

zerolight
    Free Member

Digging this back up. Went into Evans today and tried on some Giro helmets. Too small. Then I tried on the Speedframe Pro, having not tried one on for about a year. It actually fit better than I remembered, better than anything new I’ve tried, so I’ve ordered one from CRC since they are half price there. Hopefully they all fit the same.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Went into Evans today and tried on some Giro helmets

I’ve ordered one from CRC since they are half price there

Ouch, contravention of rule 1 there…

Although Mike Ashley, so fine.

dyna-ti

Like this shape ?

Takes all sort here on STW 😯

zerolight
    Free Member

Yeah. That’s pretty much my head. The Fox didn’t fit. I don’t know if they have changed the shape and I got an older one or what. I’d prefer to buy from a local bike shop, but aside from Evans there’s nowhere near me, certainly not with stock of helmets, and I’d prefer to to pay £140 for a helmet if it can be had for half that.

Rich_s

Just ordered a full face helmet for myself. £36 off crc
    It’s OK. Size xxl, it’s firm front to back and I’m right up against the brow, but there’s a smidge of room across-wise which I’d happily fill with a pad if I could be bothered.
    I’ve got a bean shaped head, so it’s how I expected it to fit.
    For the price it was worth a punt. I’m not sure when I’m going to need it, just got it on-spec.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/leatt-mtb-1-0-helmet-dh/rp-prod199499?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OrderConfirmation&utm_content=GB

mert
    Free Member

Like this shape ?

Takes all sort here on STW 😯

LOL, just seen that, yes. My head is almost that shape, but the big bulge is lower down, so i have to tilt the helmet a little forwards, or get something with LOADS of room low down at the back.

A couple of my road helmets in the past i’ve had to carefully choose which glasses i wear (or which lense i fit) so i don’t get an annoying rattle between the top of the frame and the brown of the helmet, or the glasses pushed down onto the bridge of my nose.

zerolight
    Free Member

@Mert did you ever find something that worked for you. I’m still running my old Super 3. My mate just bought at Super DH which seems to be the replacement of the Super 3, and even with all the latest mips tech in it, it fit me pretty well, feeling much like the Super 3. I had been keen on something better vented, but when I looked a year ago nothing fit due to I guess my longer than usual oval head with a bump at the back. Reading your comments I think we have similar heads.

I’m probably going to order a Super DH. I guess having that optional chin bar could come in handy for those once a year trips to a bike park.

richardkennerley

Giro Source MIPS is the best fitting helmet I ever had for my bean head

zerolight
    Free Member

Leatt Enduro 3.0 didn’t fit. About 5mm short front to back, like most helmets. Looks like it’s gonna be a Bell Super DH then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.