Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hello. Anyone want to find out what the best bearings for MTB applications are?
  • walla24
    Free Member

uplink…nice

bommer
    Free Member

what's on the end of the stick, Vic?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Ba Cut (1923–1956) was a military commander of the Hòa H?o religious sect, which operated from the Mekong Delta and controlled various parts of southern Vietnam during the 1940s and early 1950s. Ba C?t and his forces fought the Vietnamese National Army, the Vi?t Minh, and the Cao ?ài religious movement from 1943 until his capture in 1956. Known for his idiosyncrasies, he was regarded as an erratic and cruel leader who fought with little ideological purpose. His sobriquet came from the self-amputation of a finger as part of a vow during his teenage years to defeat the French colonial forces; he later swore not to cut his hair until the communist Vi?t Minh were defeated. Ba C?t frequently made alliances with various Vietnamese factions and the French. He invariably accepted the material support offered in return for his cooperation, and then broke the agreement—nevertheless, the French made deals with him on five occasions. In mid-1955, the tide turned against the various sects, as Prime Minister Ngô ?ình Di?m of the State of Vietnam and his VNA began to consolidate their grip on the south. Ba C?t and his allies were driven into the jungle, and their position was threatened by government offensives. After almost a year of fighting, Ba C?t was captured. He was sentenced to death and publicly beheaded in C?n Th?.

Pierre

Now that's not a bad attempt at one way of testing how bearing seals will resist the ingress of water. I think it's deeply flawed but credit to kaesae he's making an effort to do something scientific, i.e. objectively repeatable and verifiable.

I think the major flaw is that it doesn't adequately recreate the sort of conditions bearings tend to be subjected to in real life. In fact the only way (well, the cheapest way) I can think of to test bearings alongside each other in real life situations would be to fit two different sets to a bike.

A symmetrical suspension design would be a good start; I know Specialized supply their dealers with frame prep and bearing pulling/seating kits so something like an Epic would be good, the mechanic could ream and face each mount point in the frame to ensure all fittings are clean and the angles are good. Then, on the drive side of the frame fit Katec bearings and on the non-drive side fit another brand. Granted, this only allows you to compare two kinds at a time, and you would probably have to repeat the test with new bearings and mounted on the opposite sides of the frame in order to ensure that an asymmetrical load through the frame didn't skew the results, but with time and effort this would probably be the best way to actually compare the bearings. It would simply be a matter of seeing which side developed play first, how fast that play developed and what state the bearings were in after prolonged testing.

Just saying, like.

: P

markenduro
    Free Member

Or you could just fit decent ones properly to start with

warton
    Free Member

strange that even total lunatics sound nice and friendly with a Scottish accent.

liquid1000
    Free Member

The real question is how does anyone eat that much honey? Could this be a new environmentally friendly bearing lubricant?

fivespot
    Free Member

Kaesae nice try….but how are you going to accelerate the oxidisation process by starving the bearings of oxygen 😕

sv

Some people are still being sucked in – unbelieveable!!! The guy doesn't have a clue, listen to the engineers on here asking questions time after time and getting absolute rubbish replies from the bearing greaser.

Anyhow will the bearings 'absorb' that 'energy' stuck in honey jars?

fontmoss
    Free Member

i still think my reply holds true

Northwind

Kaesae is a genius… This thread is proof.

Soup
    Free Member

Kaesae, apparently the only true bearing test is to shove them up your arse and fu(k off while you're doing it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fivespot – plenty enough DO in water to allow oxidation to commence.

Kaesae – Comedy genius!

dasnut
    Free Member

who has allowed this forum to become a giant advertising site for online retailers?

what with this shyte and the thread about travellers, new lows have been reached, even by stws low standards

peace out, I'm off to Wharncliffe….

Soup
    Free Member

Please mods, do the right thing!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

who has allowed this forum to become a giant advertising site for online retailers?

It's a fair comment, but never in the field of MTB history has a reputation been damgaged so much, so many times, for one man.

He's long since emptied the AK47 into alternate feet, and it's getting silly.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its just the bloody stumps left now.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hello. Anyone want to find out what the best bearings for MTB applications are?’ is closed to new replies.