Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Heli Tape Instructions & Tips?
  • Milkie
    Free Member

Getting a new bike delivered today!!

I have some heli tape from Biketart. Does anyone have any really good tips/instructions/tutorials?

I was thinking of using the wet method, does it work well!?

Liftman

Hair dryer, heat the frame and the tape before applying

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always put mine on dry. Clean surface with IPA then heat frame and tape with the wife’s hair dryer. Use curved corners when you cut it, not square ones.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What onzadog said.

I did my top tube neatly, kinda bodged the downtube, then got annoyed and just did the chain/seastays with 1″ strips wrapped like abr tape.

unklehomered
    Free Member

As onzadog, but I do apply wet, I find I get less bubbles – more time to adjust position, could be I’m just ham-fisted though… 😐

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of IPA, a microfibre cloth, hairdryer and some A3 paper to make some templates. The one thing I don’t have is patience!

Heat the frame? Even a carbon one!? 😯

bigjim

IPA, put on wet, don’t stretch it too much or stretch it over concave curves. Use hot water to soften the tape, I certainly wouldn’t hairdryer my own frame.

scruff
    Free Member

Wet method ?

Que?

Frankers
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Wet method ?

Que?
    Posted 15 minutes ago # Report-Post

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYCDWUtftA[/video]

scruff
    Free Member

Utubes blocked.

Frankers
    Free Member

Peel the backing off, then you dunk the tape in water (with a little fairy liquid) before applyin.

Apply tape and after squeegee the water out with a credit card. Makes applying easier as its slips around on the bike.

Of course you have to leave it to dry for a while.

continuity
    Free Member

Wet application (I have done it) is absolutely **** for anything apart from top tube, downtube and maybe fork stanchions. Everything else apply it dry and just be f’ing careful.

Milkie
    Free Member

Well I tried the dry method, made up some templates, got the hair dryer out, heated the tape.. Stuck it on…

I’m now giving up and not using any heli tape! I struggled with just a fork leg! The power bulges created loads of creases and bubbles. I might give the wet method a go this evening, but I can’t see it being any better.

Also the frame has a matt finish, so I can’t imagine it looking very good with the shiny heli tape over some bits.. Here’s the bike I’m trying to tape.

Does anyone know of any LBS’s that offer a heli taping service!? 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Heli Tape Instructions & Tips?’ is closed to new replies.