• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jl..
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • heckler or superlight ?????
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

im torn between the two. i demo'd a heckler and loved it. found my body posiion a bit strange going uphill but got used to it as im coming from a 100mm bike, i enjoyed using all the travel of the heckler but theres still a little bit of me that likes an xc race now and again and i think the heckler would be out of place there?

i mainly ride trail centre stuff, red routes etc and endurance racing, mayhem, sleepless, 10 under the ben series etc

is the heckler too much…..

is the superlight not enough….

cynic-al
    Free Member

have ridden the older versions of both. found the Slight too flexy, would race my Heckler but an not someone who believes that would cost me lots of places.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Superlight would be plenty for the riding you are talking about. It would also build up a fair bit lighter with a medium level spec. Get a test ride on one and compare back to back with the Heckler if possible.

Having said that I have done 10 UTB on my Heckler with a fairly light build and it was no problem at all.

batman11
    Free Member

Hi mate having come from a superlight to a heckler id have to say superlight im kinda the same type of riding as you (southdowns,wales etc) but i found the superlight great for everything wales, gerneral trail and singletrack was brilliant set up with a 120mm fork at the front. Now the heckler to be fair is great but a differnt beast def slower up hills and for me no faster or slower downhill just that you can hit ruffer lines and get away with bigger drops roots etc. to round off im thinking of trying to get a new superlight and 120mm fork and just build one up then see which one i wanna keep heckler or superlight! might add that since getting a new cotic bfe ive only riden the heckler once and that has been 3 months loving that frame/bike and there pretty much the same head angles etc (68deg).

Bats.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

running something like a TALAS/ETA or U Turn Fork would help with the Heckler geometry going uphill, run mine with 150mm but do like it locked down to 120 for climbing

convert

Was in the same position with a Turner flux vs 5spot decision. Went for the 5 spot and now wish I'd gone for the flux. I now find myself using my alfined hardtail on stuff where I would have chosen a flux if I'd had it instead. The upside is I am more comfortable with alpine style riding on the 5 spot than I would have been on the flux but this represents a tiny proportion of my riding.

Mate with superlight rides most of what you describe very happily.

Mole
    Free Member

+ 1 for the superlight with 120mm forks. Best climbing bike i've ever ridden.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had a 98 heckler – basically a heavier duty (tubed) superlight with 100mm travel

loved it for the type of riding you suggest !

a modern heckler would be too much imho for the riding you describe – youd resent the bikes weight i think – would be a hoot for the downs though

Coasting
    Free Member

Go for the Superlite.Ive got both and the SL gets pulled out for most rides.The new frames handle just about anything short of large drop offs or mega steep stuffIm my opinion its a very underated bike

jonny-m
    Free Member

might have an issue demoing a superlight at the mment, question is do i really need to…

hora
    Free Member

i enjoyed using all the travel of the heckler

Curious, what if you ran a longer adjustable fork on the Superlight? So basically a lighterweight Heckler, whippy, climbs exactly like a Superlight should be descends way way better?

Sure its a 100/120 frame however seen the top and downtube weld-braces?

Hmmmmmmm

stooo
    Free Member

I'm also considering a superlight just now… coming from a trek fuel EX.

see my thread here for more SL opinions.

Have to admit, for the kind of riding you're suggesting, I reckon the Heckler is a bit OTT. It's got 150mm rear travel and pretty tough old boot. Brilliant fun bike, but not gonna blast up hills.

Keen to hear other folks thoughts on the SL and how it'll handle more playful (but not quite hooligan) riding though.

stooo
    Free Member

Guessing you've found it, but there's links to loads of reviews on the SL on the uk Santacruz website here… assume they've got links to Heckler reviews too.

jonny-m
    Free Member

just been out on the demo heckler and loved it… again, yes it felt a little heavy on the climbs but somehow the downs more tham made up for it.

the fact that you dont have to choose a line, you can just point and go makes the whole ride seem faster in the balance of ups and downs

i know the superlight would climb quicker but who ever has fun climbing?

and i think youd have to pick your line wisely with olny 100 mm out back?

steering back towards a light specced heckler again….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Why are you not looking at the Blur LT or the Nickel? Both fit in between the Superlight and the Heckler for intended use. The Blur is VPP so more expensive and climbs well – pretty burly but not as much as the Heckler. The Nickel is sort of single pivot and designed for a 120mm fork but will take a 140mm

jonny-m
    Free Member

to be honest … price. there is a too god a deal on the frames at the minute

cynic-al
    Free Member

as I said above, unless racing is a priority or you are a fatty that worries about seconds up a trail centre climb them the Heckler is more fun imo.

hora
    Free Member

I'd LOVE a Blur LT2 – just can't afford one though 🙁

Hardtails are for trail centres 🙂

jl.
    Free Member

Check out the current issue of ST where they review a few 120/100mm bikes. Also, Sim's long term test bike is a 120/100mm Commencal Super Carbon thingy-ma-jig. Worth a read.

I've been riding a Commencal Super 4 which originally had 100m at both ends. I changed the front to a 120mm maxle fork and love it. It's perfect for a smooth rider who likes to pick his lines like myself. I ride it everywhere and for everything. Sometimes I ride with XC racers and sometimes with radcore, energy drink drinking hucksters and have a good laugh wherever I am. I think for enduro, 10 under and red/black trails it's great. I'm sure most people that do your sort of riding would be happy with a bike between 100 and 150mm but only extended saddle time can tell you what's better for you.

Good luck.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘heckler or superlight ?????’ is closed to new replies.