Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 473 total)
  • Heating oil – how much!
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

5lab – my tank sits in the back garden in a very minimally insulated box being battered by the north wind.

n’t believe you haven’t done this already. I added a Hive thermostat to my mum’s Vortex combi and the utility room is no longer like a sauna most of the day now the water channel is off from 10am – 4pm, and 11pm through the night. There’s a big boost button on the thermostat if you want a bath or shower outside these times and the mini-tank stays hot enough for hand washing etc anyway.

cost vs benifits – i only had a 1 channel thermostat and changing it historically cost more than the oil required – a blackfriday deal and the requirement for a 2 chanel meant i bought one , actually wanted an evohome but its being discontinued so i didnt want to end up unsupported.

Likewise with my insulation – i insulated as best i could and left the mega expensive hard to access pain in the arse stuff out …. how ever with the cost of oil now – its in progress.

5lab

^^ I was talking about hot water tank, I’m assuming the one at the bottom of your garden has oil in it :D

trail_rat
    Free Member

No . There’s a bit further down the garden.

My oil boiler sits on the outside of the back wall of the utility room.

Due to at the time of install we didn’t have a utility room or a dining room or indeed a garage with a suitable location for a 250l tank.

Inside the boiler there’s a 2ft x1 ft insulated box of water kept warm for instant use.

My experience of it when the boilers off is it’s usually cold water it spits out. By the time the fresh incoming cold water has displaced the hot into the pipe work – the heats been sucked out the hot water. But during the day and night it sure as **** doesn’t need to keep it warm for use if no one’s there.

Need to play about when the thermostat kit arrives

In all honesty the grants a clunky agricultural thing a bit like my self and it keeps on going on – and the electronics are incredibly easy to bypass when your pcb dies in peak covid….compared to my previous Worcester’s – id buy a grant again but I’m
    Not sure I’d buy a combi – but I guess my hands were tied at the time

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CExDQ_bnQ08/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Gray box round the corner from the doors and windows…that’s the boiler

blokeuptheroad

Just paid 82.95 p/l (+VAT) for 1100 litres in South Shropshire.  Neary a grand to fill the tank, ouch!! 😢

Daffy

WHAT?!!

I’ve just been quoted 79.95p + VAT in N Wales!!

@sharkbait
    – yup, it was £351 inc VAT and 5 days delivery.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Brilliant… well done on that, wish I could get close!

blitz

500L by 20th Dec @ 81p/L in Fife. That pretty much should fill the tank. Talk of another spike in prices with this oil cap on Russian oil made me think now might be a good time to top up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I bottled it. 3 bars inclusive of the bit below the outlet ….. i was looking at january or possibly february.

I too think prices will spike (oil generally always does in Jan…. Coupled with the russian oil cap.)

Maybe they wont – but after seeing february prices of 1.60 locally last year – I filled week 1 january last year at 72p ….. im not getting caught with my pants down for 5-10 pence/l

0.80/l

roughly 1100l used for the year. Hopefully this will be the last year of that – Heavily insulated the house over summer/autumn and we have a 250l tank and solar thermal on order for the hotwater. With the bairns bath every night it seems we have used about 6 bars of oil over summer purely heating hot water ! thats about 700 quid at todays prices so the solar thermal will have a payback of about 6 years

tillydog
    Free Member

I thought that this was an interesting comparison – Oil was actually the cheapest form of heating last month!

(From here)

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think that oil will drop the short* term compared to gas/electricity

* 6-12 months

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just had a price from BJ for 78.55 for delivery before xmas (which is fine as I’ve still got about 500L).
    I’ll phone around to see if I can do a bit better but that’s not too bad TBH.

boblo
    Free Member

Just filled @0.74 p/l + VAT in Cambs. They dropped 0.5 p/l after a gentle nudge.

That’s us sorted until summer next year assuming no disasters.

bombjack
    Free Member

Watchman dropped from 3 to 2 on Sunday, bit the bullet yesterday as the range anxiety kicked in and ordered 500L via boilerjuice for just over £404 bucks.
    House is a tiny 3 bed mid terrace so hopefully that’ll be us done until April time.
    Still waiting to see how the £200 rebate will be paid, I’d imagine it’ll be swallowed up by the increase in electricity come the spring, but at least we’re not looking at the £1000 per 500L that was being sold last March.

Daffy

So much for my cheap 500l. The chap delivering found a small scratch (crack?) at the top right corner of the tank and refused to deliver.

He says we need a new bunded tank @£2000 which will also mean changing the base it’s sat on – sigh.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve had that – did he suggest that they supplied and fitted the new tank also?

So what you ‘could’ do is buy a standard tank, run your oil down, unscrew the outlet from the tank, swap tanks and reconnect.
    They won’t refuse to deliver to an unbunded tank.

(I was told that by the oil tanker delivery guy)

trail_rat
    Free Member

They won’t refuse to deliver to an unbunded tank.

that seems a bit wild – would think it would be the opposite way around.

last time i checked my tank was delivered by a truck driver with dangerous goods paperwork. not an Oftec qualified installer.

Worth getting a second opinion from a qualified person ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

that seems a bit wild – would think it would be the opposite way around.

There’s a lot of unbunded tanks out there and it’s not illegal to own/use/sell them.

This driver also said that as long as I didn’t fill above the level of the ‘crack’* then it should be OK and he was happy to do that.

* I’m still not convinced that it is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

There’s a lot of unbunded tanks out there and it’s not illegal to own/use/sell them

im not disputing that part . i had an unbunded up till 2 years ago.

But im disputing that they wont refuse to fill a cracked unbunded tank – thats insanity if they wont fill a bundeded one

richmars

Mate at work had a leak in his tank, was about a year before he could move back into his house. Luckily his insurance covered the cost of digging out the ground floor to remove all the contaminated soil.

My rank isn’t bunded, so am planning to replace it next summer.

Agree that there’s a lot of misinformation about tanks, me included!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

<h2 id=”catching-oil-leaks-and-spills”>Catching oil leaks and spills</h2>
    The person installing your tank will do a risk assessment, and they’ll let you know if your tank has to have secondary containment (a ‘bund’). The bund must:

• hold 110% of the tank’s capacity
    • be impermeable to oil and water

You’ll need a bund if your tank’s in any of the following places:

• where oil spills could run into an open drain or a loose manhole cover
    • where the tank vent pipes cannot be seen when the tank’s being filled, for example because the delivery tanker is parked too far away
    • within 10 metres of coastal waters or inland fresh waters like lakes or streams
    • within 50 metres of a drinking water source, for example wells, boreholes or springs
    • where oil spills could run over hard ground and reach coastal waters, inland fresh waters or a drinking water source
    • in the inner zone of groundwater source protection zone 1
    • You’ll also need a bund if your tank can hold more than 2,500 litres of oil.

Not sue I would want to be using an oil tank with a whole in it. The environmental impact + the massive hefty fine you get, i am sure its about £150k + clean up costs + you might not actually be properly insured.

We had to get it noted on our house insurance policy + provide evidence it met building regs

More recent building regs on where you can locate a tank are pretty difficult to adhere to unless you have a lot of land

trail_rat
    Free Member

while thems the rules – why you wouldnt want a bunded tank is beyond me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

But im disputing that they wont refuse to fill a cracked unbunded tank

I never said that….. I said that they wouldn’t refuse to deliver to a tank that wasn’t bunded – cracked tanks are a different matter.

intheborders
    Free Member

Mate at work had a leak in his tank, was about a year before he could move back into his house. Luckily his insurance covered the cost of digging out the ground floor to remove all the contaminated soil.

A neighbour had a leak in the oil feed pipe as it came through the wall into the house, stone not brick. Huge reconstruction job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks like I need to get my Watchman calibrated somehow.

Was down to 3 bars of a 1400l tank.

Only got 884l in to brim.

Perhaps my watch man isn’t taking into account the dead space below the outlet…..

richmars

I think they only measure the linear distance to the surface of the oil, so not great in plastic tanks that have odd shapes which give different surface areas (hence volume) at different heights. If you have a sight glass measure the oil level before and after a delivery, this will give you a rough idea of the lites/mm over that range, and you can calibrate the Watchman as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep 100% that is what they do . my tanks a tall rectangle harelequin one rather than the half a barrel shaped one so expected it to be fairly linear correlation. Seems i was wrong.

Always had a sight glass with the old half barrel one.

tillydog
    Free Member

my tanks a tall rectangle harelequin one rather than the half a barrel shaped one so expected it to be fairly linear correlation.

The inner tank probably has ‘windows’ (i.e. holes that join both sides) moulded into it for strength like this:

Means that the level drops quite quickly once it reaches the middle part of the tank, but more slowly above or below.

IHN

Was down to 3 bars of a 1400l tank.

Only got 884l in to brim.

It’s still not miles off though to be fair:

1400l tank ~= 140l per bar on the Watchman
    3bars ~= 420l

1440 – 420 = 980l, so 100l out, which is within 1 bar of the Watchman.

boblo
    Free Member

Looks like I need to get my Watchman calibrated somehow.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

richmars

I’ve spent the last few years recording the sight glass levels before and after a delivery, over as large a range as possible. It comes out at an average of about 1mm per litre. I don’t know if it was designed like this or just lucky. It’s a plastic 1000l tank

bainbrge

Oh Boblo. Sublime.

richmars

Yes, very good. (But being uneducated I needed Google translate)

bruk

Having been caught out with the watchman once and running out whilst it said there was still 2 bars I now tend to dip my tank and measure it that way. Barrel shaped tank but can get a chart online for litres left at different depths.

Just had a 1000l at 78.2 in Cheshire. Delivery within 2 weeks but done in 3 days. With the thermostats turned down use has been lower so hopefully see us through winter now.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can’t believe it but I’ve just placed an order with boiler juice for 500L at 82p for delivery by jan 3rd as one local company is quoting 99p and the other are now saying call back after new year!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I got quoted 72p the day after I got delivered.

How ever……. 6 inch deep snow and the oil truck being stuck on the road in yesterday so I’m ok with the 80 quid premium.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yeah, not ideal but anything could happen in the next month or so – so I’m reasonably OK with it.
    Boilerjuice though – jesus, never thought they’d be the best option!!!!!

Daffy

Boilerjuice are often cheapest for me

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Sharkbait, My single-skinned tank cracked in multiple places in the mega-hot spell in the summer…..tank was almost full at the time. Thankfully lost very little.

A bar of Soap squashed into the cracks held fast for a week or two and stopped the leak until I got a new tank….@ £2.5k 😩

Maybe the soap trick will help for now, but if it’s cracked in one place, it’s about to crack elsewhere….😒

sharkbait
    Free Member

Maybe the soap trick will help for now, but if it’s cracked in one place, it’s about to crack elsewhere….

The thing is I don’t believe it’s actually split at all* and this is just one oil co. trying to sell me a tank installation.

* I’ve looked and can’t find anything, nor is there any smell or sign of oil.
    The oil co siad they had pictures but when I asked for them the other day they said they’d lost them.
    Yeah right.

I will replace it as its getting on, but I’ll do it myself as it’s a simple job.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.