• This topic has 472 replies, 99 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Watty.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 473 total)
  • Heating oil – how much!
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

But still need the cash one way or another -the same as you do for the DD for gas and elec for supplies used.

finephilly
    Free Member

My energy bills are about to double and I actually feel quite lucky!
    You guys might have to adapt them for used cooking oil!

trail_rat
    Free Member

You guys might have to adapt them for used cooking oil!

Virgin veg oil is about 1.20 a litre looking at google on supermarket shelves….. Wonder how much it is in 20l containers.

My 200tdi will lap that up.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

It’s much more painful as generally needs to be paid for all at once.
    No it doesn’t. Only if you choose to do it that way. It does how ever have to be paid for upfront.

Yes sorry – I meant paid for upfront, not as in having to get 1200l at once. An increase of hundreds of pounds on a purchase like this is a big hit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Unless Russia cuts the gas off then prices are only going one way.

Not really true.
    The price of oil can and very definitely does drop as well as rise and it has actually been falling for the last 24 hours.

OPEC are gradually increasing production and have been for some time. The actions of Russia have not changed that rate of increase although the United Arab Emirates have said that they would support a faster increase.

I fully expect prices to have dropped to something a bit more palatable by the summer.
    Whether that is in time for me is doubtful! We have about 7″ left in the bottom of our 2,500 L tank 😖
    But the days are getting longer and from next month I’m hoping to be able to switch off the boiler completely as our solar PV will take care of the hot water.
    Whether any of these things come to pass is another matter, but it’s nice to see the graph dropping down at the moment.

expatscot
    Free Member

The problem is also availability, at any cost.
    Local suppliers are refusing to quote or even provide guide delivery times.
    We paid 50ppl mid Feb.
    We get through 3,500 litres a year. It covers 4 bedroom house and an old oil Aga.
    Thankfully we are nearing the end of the frosty mornings, but the Aga will still require supply.

I rather think this will be an extended period of high prices, extreme volatility and uncertain supply times. I’m really not looking forward to next winter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Local suppliers are refusing to quote or even provide guide delivery times.

That’s odd, they fill their tank at £x amount then just pass that on + margin should be that difficult to quote for a delivery the next day

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Virgin veg oil is about 1.20 a litre looking at google on supermarket shelves…..

Google how much veg oil Ukraine produces for the world market

Buy now

fettlin

Yep, not many local suppliers prepared to quote at the moment (HR7). Even boilerjuice.com doesn’t come up with anything in our area. Best I could get was ‘order it now and we’ll quote on the day of delivery and that will be in two weeks time’!

I’ve a couple of hundred litres in the bottom of a 1200ltr tank, should be okay until next month.

The real question is hold off or buy in now hedging the price going up a lot more? 🤔

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s odd, they fill their tank at £x amount then just pass that on + margin should be that difficult to quote for a delivery the next day

Not that odd.

Probably don’t hold 3-4 weeks worth of fuel in their tank and don’t hedge forwards to know what the fuel in their tanks by the time they actually have an availible slot will cost.

Your unlikely to get a next day slot given the lack of willing oil truck drivers and driver hours….

lesgrandepotato

It’s bad enough ‘normal’ fuel prices are going up, but how are people struggling going to be able to pay 100% more on heating oil? It’s much more painful as generally needs to be paid for all at once.

It’s fairly predictable when it’s running out so it’s not normally a surprise. We know that we need to buy oil a couple of times a year. I guess you could even create a direct debit to yourself if needs be. It’s usually only a few hundred quid.

duncancallum

Market went down today. Fyi

I’m in that Market job wise. However it’s wildly up and down.

My aga is not exactly my friend currently.

It will settle but I’m looking at 450 pcm with the heating on. It’s set to 14deg currently

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m in that Market job wise. However it’s wildly up and down.

Oh yes.

Of our 2 suppliers, one won’t quote but will add you to their delivery schedule and then tell you 2 days before delivery what the price will be.

So I went back to the other one, they quoted £990 for 1,000l – so I took it.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

A friend of mine had her 1200l tank in her front garden. She then had three full tank loads nicked one after the other, within about a month. She thought the first one was a leak so had the lines tested, all was sound so she then had better security lights installed. After the second tank full was taken she then had a gert big lock installed and cctv, cue the third load being taken again within a week, with nothing showing up on the cameras apart from some shady movement on the periphery. She’s a single mum so this was really unnerving too.
    She’s since paid several more thousands to have the whole thing moved to her back garden for security.
    I’d imagine with prices rocketing oil theft will be on the increase. Apparently if they can’t get the top off they have a scaffold tube with one end cut at an angle like a massive syringe and just push it through the side of plastic tanks, suck all the contents out and then bugger off. Obviously you’ve then lost a tank full of oil plus the whole tank is bolloxed.

Jamze

I’ve always wondered what people who pinch heating oil put it into and how do they transport it?! Another tank in the back of a van and a pump?

mert
    Free Member

Another tank in the back of a van and a pump?

Yup, they caught some guys near my dads house a few years ago, maybe last time the prices spiked?
    One of the tanks in the van (think they had two or three 1000l IBCs in the back) had sprung a significant leak…

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Another tank in the back of a van and a pump?

However they do it they have a very quiet pump. It must be quick as you wouldn’t want to be waiting for ages to nick it all, but quicker pumps are usually noisier. No idea, I’ll ask at the local scrotes site up the road next time I’m in there (which is never!).

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m eying up the oil pipeline that’s running through one of my paddocks – I’m sure the boiler would love a good feed of Jet A1!!

Freester

When I first moved to my oil heated house 6 years ago I had no clue. Called a few of the local providers they gave me information like how to work out big my tank was and minimum order (usually) of 500l. I got 500l delivered. At the time I think it was 37p a litre (exc VAT) and when the guy delivered he advised me to get another 500l as it was cheap.

I watched the price of heating oil fluctuate around 40-50p a litre putting 500L when I had to or if I felt it was cheap and had room tried to fill up.

Then it fell to 14p a litre around the time of the first lockdown. I managed to squeeze 500L in then!

I needed to put 500L this January. Grudgingly did at 59p a litre, glad I did now.

Currently using the https://www.oil-club.co.uk/ they seem to be a tad cheaper than Boiler Juice and if nothing else the weekly email about the price they are delivering at is useful.

merckx12

Agree – it’s an astronomical price rise! I had oil stolen last weekend from the tank overnight, so I’d recommend adding some security. I’ve now got a Spinsecure lock & a locking vent cap, plus security camera. It won’t stop theft but at least it might be a deterrent. Oil theft on the increase near me.

Flaperon

How can you stop theft from a plastic oil tank other than with a guard dog or something? I guess if you wanted the oil it’d take about 2 seconds to drill a 4 inch hole in the top.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t have it on an external/vehicle accessable boundary.

Lock the cap keep the honest man out.

Fit an Apollo sonic sensor- watches your tank level so you know how much left. If it starts draining quickly an alarm goes off in the house (assuming your in)

Although the next question becomes….. When the alarm goes off …. What next . After all they know where you live.

duncancallum

You’d be surprised at the through put.

Yes stocks always revalued. But no more than goods on a shelf in tesco

tillydog
    Free Member

a scaffold tube with one end cut at an angle like a massive syringe and just push it through the side of plastic tanks, suck all the contents out

Thanks for ratcheting my paranoia up another notch :-/

I suspect oil theft (and theft in general) will see huge growth in the near future 🙁

duncancallum

Wait for red diesel to be dropped for industrial use at month end

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Fair point about security- might actually put a lock on our gate.

However it’s very difficult to secure oil tanks in reality given the nature of where they are (rural) and where they have to be located (away from a building)

I certainly wouldn’t do anything to the tank as once the plastic is damaged it’s a new tank job !

duncancallum

Yeah don’t be modifying your tank.

Also check oftec legislation before doing anything to hide it.

BenjiM

I ordered Kero for the dairy boiler last week, a faulty banking app means the payment didn’t go through by 5.30 (to keep the price). Rang back next day price went up 20p a litre. Boss said don’t order any as it’ll come back down (pffft). We’ve enough left to fuel the boiler for cheese making for one week. If we don’t get it after that we’ll have to stop producing. Supermarket customers aren’t accepting price rises (Morrisons and Waitrose) so our only option is really to say stuff it, and stop making cheese after 95 years.

IHN

Ours is hidden behind a shed. It probably shouldn’t be hidden behind said shed, but both shed and tank were there when we moved in, and we ain’t moving them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If oftec had their way you’d be putting your tank in a compound 4 miles from your house.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Prices appear to have peaked at £1.60 ltr and are currently around £1.05ltr

Does heating oil get the 5p tax reduction, because it doesn’t look like it on the price charts

duncancallum

@benjim
    Who’s your supplier and where are you?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does heating oil get the 5p tax reduction, because it doesn’t look like it on the price charts

No it doesn’t.
    I checked yesterday before paying 103.88/L for 500L
    😖

On the plus side, if there is one, our PV is making all our hot water and heating the kitchen floor on a day like yesterday.
    Solar gain heated the house so oil use is minimal

Daffy

118.9ppl here in the south Cotswolds today. Down from 187ppl just a week ago and up from 63ppl 4 weeks ago.

Ben_mw

Just short of £0.90/l in West Yorkshire for 1000 litres last week. (Plus the Vat).

IHN

We’re at half a tank (500l-ish), so I’m pretty sure we’ve got enough to last out spring, then it’ll be switched off until Autumn as we can run the hot water on solar.

I assume that summer is (usually…) the best time to buy, when’s normally best, August?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Look at the price charts on Boiler Juice

No seasonal variation, heating oil is such a small part of oil usage the costs do not alter much.

How does the hot water work on solar, might be worth exploring ourselves

IHN

How does the hot water work on solar, might be worth exploring ourselves

With a solar-powered immersion heater, which coincidentally there is currently a thread on…

Solar immersion heater controllers recommendations?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Oil price is artificial

OPEC will respond and pump more eventually, for now I guess they are enjoying the record profits.

IHN

Oil price is artificial

Tell that to my credit card provider.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.