• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heating oil consumption question
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

If you have oil fired central heating can you please tell me:
    what temp your boiler is set at
    how many radiators you have
    how long on per day
    how many liters used per month

cheers – a very **** off rob who is currently using nigh on 200L per month some how!

project
    Free Member

You may well have a leak, somwhere underground,trace the route of the supply pipe from the boiler tothe tank, look for dark patches of ground and or a smell.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Leak or its been pinched. Are you checking the tank regularly for sudden drops?

grannygrinder
    Free Member

9 rads
    Boiler temp – 68
    4-5 hours at weekends, 1-3 hours weekdays.
    Approx 600 litres a year

Ps. The log burner helps

A mate used to use around 2000 litres a year, but that was in a huge 5 bedroom bungalow and there heating was at 25 degrees 24/7 365 days a year. He has moved now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have a varible temp timer

I have it set to maintain 14 all the time in winter – rarely comes on and 19 for 2 hour in the morning through winter for before we get up.

Right now heatings off

8 rads – 3bed house

Combi

We used 500 litres a year in all the oil fired houses we have had

We used the stoves and eco fan +open coal fire in office to heat the house when we are in though.

Could have paid a fortune to get gas installed last year but just stayed oil as its not stupid expensive amd lets me monitor costs as oppose to getting stung + easy to repair my self 🙂

project
    Free Member

If it is being nicked check for obvious tampering with valves or connections also look around tank for a small nut or bolt sticking out, someone drills a hole and inserts nut and bolt, and then late at night or when quiet removes bolt slightly and oil runs out in a container, then nut done up again stopping flow. or just by syphoning fuel from top lid or vent pipe.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Looks like the boiler uses 2-2.5L per hour, its on on average for 4hrs per day
    Rayburn uses 2.5L per day so total usage of 12.5L per day!!

12.5 x £0.65 = £7.80 per **** day!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oooooft rayburns – look nice but holy jebus they cost.

br
    Free Member

Ok, firstly you say boiler and then tell us you’ve a boiler and range…

Are you sure that the Rayburn only uses 2.5l per day, as in winter our Redfyre consumes about 10-12l per day – dropping to 3-4l in summer.

In balance we’ve only the Redfyre and a wood burner covering a large open plan ex-mill.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Heating oil consumption question’ is closed to new replies.