Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Heated gloves for cold hands
  • geoffj

Mrs J suffers from very cold hands, and I’m keen to try some heated gloves for her.
    THAT FLASH SALE SITE has 30seven Heated gloves with rechargeable batteries for around £80
    I know nothing about them – what should I be looking for?
    TIA

project
    Free Member

maplin also sell them, lady freind has some they work well she says, my hands to big to try hers for fit and feel.

scaredypants

is this for biking or just general wear ?

my wife has some blazewear ones that she used for skiing and seem OK but they also sell cheaper ones that would be good for general use – not so sure about using on a bike though

maccruiskeen

Big warm mittens work better than gloves, helps your fingers keep each other warm. Once you’re extremities start getting cold the blood supply gets restricted so gloves can mean cold fingers stay cold. My gf suffers from ranauds and decent quality ski mittens work really well. She’s even got the knack of gear changes on the road bike in them.

CountZero

Mittens, with fold-back ends to allow precise use of fingertips if necessary. Military style, for shooting, I believe.
    Yeah, trigger mitts or shooters mitts:
    These look good for the money:
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/thinsulate-shooters-mitts—og-or-black-1529-p.asp

epicyclo

Handlebar muffs also known as pogies solves all cold hand problems on a bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hotpog.co.uk

Or bar mitts for drop bars.

Rarely wear thick gloves anymore.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Look at Keis.

joshvegas
    Free Member

As above pogies are the answer.

Bare hands in -10

spot
    Free Member

not a long term solution
    but aspirin thins the blood
    thinner blood = better circulation = warmer hands.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-one has spotted the obvious opportunity for dynamo powered gloves yet.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

spot – as does alcohol. Just saying like.

ps44
    Free Member

I wonder if the Ianovated wetsuit tubes could be adapted to help with this ?
    Put all that puffing and panting to good use !
    Ian would probably supply some to try if asked.

gasser
    Free Member

I would like the same but for MTB boots / shoes, always suffered with freezing toes, already use Lake Boots with thermal socks and toes already getting cold.

spot
    Free Member

Twicewithchips. Yes, but also widens peripheral blood vessels which will make your skin warm but your core cold.

I’m drinking jagermeister because it tastes best on a ski slope, not because I think it will make me warm and cozy. 🙂

diz

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame uses Ziener down-filled Gortex ski mitts when it’s very cold, along with a proper down jacket and lined solopettes to keep core temperature up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

must loook funny with salopettes and down jacket on her hands

Gary_M
    Free Member

trail_rat have you tried bar mitts on a road bike? Every winter I think about getting some of these but never quite get round to it. If it’s raining does water not run down your hands and pool at the bottom of the mitt or do they have a drain hole.

Are they easy enough to get your hands in and out of when on the move – I’m thinking the extreme version in particular with the cuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes i have them and they are ace – used them for 3 years on the road rat.

the water doesnt pool the water runs out, dead easy to fit as well due to clever zips and velcro.

its far better at the job than a glove in the wet although i do tend to wear a liner glove when its wet just to remove the clammy hand feeling you get with wet skin.

i dont have the ones with the cuff but the ones i have are dead easy to get in and out , they hold shape very well and you just slot your hands in.

some times when its seriously cold up here i throw a pair of wind proof gloves under but has to be the wrong side of -10 for that – generally ill be wearing a buffalo active shirt at that point.

the only downside is you lose your drops your hoods or crosstops only but thats where i commute anyhoo.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the only downside is you lose your drops your hoods or crosstops only but thats where i commute anyhoo.

Sounds ideal. I’d be using them on a commuter too and in winter, in the dark, I very seldom use the drops anyway.

turboferret

I got frozen fingers both yesterday (min of -5.5) and today (min of -7). This was regardless of the fact that I was using about the most expensive gloves known to man – Rapha Deep Winter with Rapha Merino liners yesterday, and Deep Winter with Hot Hands neoprene liners today. The neoprene may have been slightly warmer, but still far from toasty. I have very cold hands at the best of times, so need much warmer gloves than most.

I thought that a £14 punt on eBay for these from Hong Kong couldn’t be too much of a risk and should hopefully give me some more warmer options.

I’ll report back when they arrive, which is predicted as being anywhere between 15th Dec and 30th Jan 😀

Cheers, Rich

trail_rat
    Free Member

those do look like a cheap option for those of us with expensive under tape mounted shift cables.

unfortunantly neither my alfine versa shifter nor my claris stis have this.

thats what the extra cost of the bar mitts is for i guess the extra velcro and zips that let you fit it to all road STIs.

turboferret

I’m not expecting them to be amazing quality, but they’re a lot simpler than the more expensive ones. My Di2 Alfine will work fine as everything is internal.

I might fashion some polar fleece liners for them if necessary, as I think they are just bare unlined bits of neoprene.

Will report back on if they’re any good 🙂

Cheers, Rich

scaredypants

I thought that a £14 punt on eBay for these from Hong Kong couldn’t be too much of a risk and should hopefully give me some more warmer options

you sure that was a 14 quid punt? – showing a hundred and 14 now

hammyuk
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one to spot the price difference!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had a look at those rock bros ones the other day and they were £13.99. I reckon the new price is a mistake.

martymac

Wouldn’t arm warmers do the same job? Ie help circulate blood to the extremities.

turboferret

Didn’t stop the later comment about the £100 price hike! I certainly only paid £13.99, and that’s the price they’re up for currently too.

They arrived pretty promptly and quality seemed fine, better than I had expected for the money

Looked a bit bigger than I had anticipated, but don’t look too ridiculous on the bike IMHO

I like to think that when you’re riding they blend somewhat with your arm and don’t appear quite so voluminous. Irrespective of looks, I bought them to keep my hands warm, and they seem to do a reasonable job. Rode to work yesterday morning in about 1.5°C with only a very thin pair of liner gloves on and hands were perfectly comfortable. No issues with big bulky gloves restricting mobility like getting keys out of pockets etc, just slip your hand out of the muff and it’s free.

Obviously you are limited to just the hoods for warmth and the drops are out, so it’s a question of whether you’re comfortable in just the one position for the whole ride. I would normally switch between the tops and the hoods frequently, so have had to adapt.

I think that they could certainly benefit from some improvement to increase warmth considerably. The orifice to insert ones hand is very generous, leaving a large gap around the wrist while in use. A bit of fabric to make a bit of a cuff to keep some heat in would I’m sure make quite a difference. A liner made out of fleece would be another thought, although it might need to have an additional layer to keep it slippery. I see some experimentation on the horizon 🙂

All in all, £14 well spent I reckon.

Cheers, Rich

Gary_M
    Free Member

just slip your hand out of the muff and it’s free

Well that’s one way to keep your hands warm

The orifice to insert ones hand is very generous, leaving a large gap around the wrist while in use

Your review has more innuendo than a carry on film 🙂

turboferret

Your review has more innuendo than a carry on film

I do my best, but like to keep them fairly subtle 🙂

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Heated gloves for cold hands’ is closed to new replies.