Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Heat & Smoke Alarms
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

The smoke alarm in our kitchen is knackered (battery cover broken) and we have no other alarms in the house.

Given I’ve now two young children, I’m thinking I should replace and add an additional alarm upstairs.

What brands are people using?

Fireangel seem to get some shocking reviews on Amazon. I’m not bothered about sealed units with 10yr batteries as I’m happy to check and change a 9v when necessary.

firestarter
    Free Member

One in hallway downstairs and one upstairs and one on any floor people sleep on if you have more floors

Ring your local fire station they will fit alarms free of charge and give advice. We fit fire angel ones and have for years we get the occasional duff one but that’s after fitting thousands

footflaps

We have four NEST Smoke alarm which all link wirelessly and talk to my phone etc giving me alerts when the wife burns the toast..

Rather pricey but I like the fact they continually tell you they are working OK, so you are never in any doubt.

theotherjonv

what firestarter said.

They might even bring the fire engine and let the kids sit in it while the men do the work, drink your tea, and set the Mrs’s heart a-flutter.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

IKEA

sam_underhill

I had got mains wired wired linked ones from Kidde. Battery backups failed after 2 or 3 years and it’s non user replaceable. They are supposed to have a 10 year lifespan. First lot replaced under warranty, second lot failed again after the some sort of time period. I’d avoid these if I were you.

Just replaced with Nest alarms. So far so good. Nice bit of tech. The rechargeable battery backup is just a bank of AAs so I will be able to replace theses if they give up.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I have a nest. It’s also a CO detector.

If you have a nest camera connected to your network, when the smoke/co alarm is triggered it switches the camera on and you can watch your house burn down remotely. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

you can watch your house burn down remotely.

Shut up and take my money!!

Also reminds me of this classic

#349567 +(16264)- [X]
    Rabidplaybunny87: Okay, so my neighbors officially hate me
    GarbageStan23: why?
    Rabidplaybunny87: Well, me, david and andrew were having a bonfire in the backyard, and we were making s'mores and all... and suddenly we here sirens, and see a firetruck turn into the street in front of us.
    Rabidplaybunny87: So we all went running to see what was up, and our neigbor's house was on fire!
    GarbageStan23: oh shit!
    Rabidplaybunny87: Yeah, and when we got there, the wife was crying into her husbands arms, and we were just kinda standing there, and then she saw us, and then like for 10 seconds, gave us the dirtiest look ever
    Rabidplaybunny87: Turns out, we were still holding our sticks with marshmallows on it, watching the fire....
    Rabidplaybunny87: talk about bad timing...

leffeboy

NEST are very pricey but great. I love the fact that they tell you where the smoke is and when they aren’t working properly. We had one go funny and I just called them up and had a replacement in my hands the next day.

But it’s at a price and any other linked alarm is probably better value for money. For fit and forget though they are a winner

bruneep

What firestarter says.

Why pay when we dish em out FOC we fit do both heat and smoke detectors, some fire services only fit smoke.

Heck if you are a high risk we’ll even give you fire retardant duvet covers, metal bins, ashtrays, extension strip plugs, fire guards on the door to stop burning materials being shoved through letter box. All free.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve got Nest and they are great. If nothing else the Mrs can silence it from her phone instead of ripping it off the ceiling trying to jump up and silence it like the last ones.

theotherjonv

Heck if you are a high risk we’ll even give you fire retardant duvet covers, metal bins, ashtrays, extension strip plugs, fire guards on the door to stop burning materials being shoved through letter box. All free.

Anything to avoid you having to go out and do any real work, eh!

[it’s a joke!!!! My wife’s best friend’s husband is in the service and I have nothing but praise for the work you do. If there’s a fire in my house, I’m getting out; anyone whose job it is to be going in the other direction has my utmost respect]

chestrockwell

Yep, as above, ring the fire service as we’ll stick ’em in the right place for free. If you are lucky I might turn up!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Heat & Smoke Alarms’ is closed to new replies.