Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Health-wise is this country utterly going/gone to the dogs?
  • mrmoofo

Fat people, heavy drinkers and smokers should all be put down and save society turning to ruin trying to keep their pathetic bodies going then we can look at how much we’ll have to raise everybodies income tax to compensate for the enormous loss of revenue

And then they can also load in people who expose themselves to more danger than the norm – so rock climbers,horse riders, sailors, motorcyclists – and, of course, mountain bikers.
    I’m afraid to say that even we fat people pay tax ( and quite a lot of it) , so I have just as much right to access medical care a skinny people, who may well be paying less, paying as much, or not at all.

Well, the fact that it’s cheaper to buy rubbish food says it all really! Sugar, carbs etc are addictive hence obesity.

Food manufacturers need to be told to stop making such rubbish food by being threatened with sanctions ie large fines. Of course this will never happen, just another example of self-serving politicians and their mates sitting on the Boards.

CG – just because it is cheaper to buy , doesn’t mean anyone is forcing you ( or anyone else) to eat it!
    Food manufacturers sell what people will buy – it’s about turning a profit. Ultimately they are not there to look after people’s nutritional welfare. That is up to the individual. The food companies will give you healthy – but expect to pay a premium price for it. Now, if you want to go back to first principles and cook it yourself, then you can cook good food cheaply.
    The whole fiasco of horsemeat has shown some of the “givens” in the food industry to be seriously flawed. And it should be prosecuted for fraud on a mass scale, for deceiving the customer.
    But the food companies cannot be prosecuted for high fat / high sugar – that is down to you. Nobody forces anyone to eat any food !

The British sepnd the lowest per captia , in Europe, on food. Food here is not expensive, it is purely an excuse. The French spend the most BTW. Up to late 30% of disposable income.

McDonalds don’t make you fat – it is eating too much of any food makes you fat. And who controls how much shit you shove in you mouth …

You do

bails

Is rubbish food really that cheap? If i go to the newsagents round the corner, drive there of course, a banana is cheaper than a Mars bar.

I can buy a whole chicken, a bag of carrots and broccoli and some potatoes for less than 4 MacDonald’s meals. ( as an example of a straight swap between crap and good stuff for a family)

A loaf of bread, a lettuce and a few tins of tuna/a pack of ham/block of cheese doesn’t cost much and makes a weeks worth of lunches. It’s definitely cheaper per portion than chips/burger/pizza.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Totally agree with mofo…the shops just sell it, no one is forced to buy rubbish food.

Even healthy food is made convenient. Is it really that difficult to peel and cut up some carrots? Luckily my family like cooking, which has been passed on. Even at uni I ate reasonably well because I didn’t want to live off pot noodles so learnt to cook. However, eating too much freshly cooked food is just as bad. The other half loves a bit of Super Size v’s Super Skinny and there was a fat lass on there who ate really well, but just mahoosive portions of freshly cooked food.

Anyway, back on topic, blaming the supermarkets comes back to the point that people in this country cannot or will not take responsibility for their actions, be it food, drinking or controlling their feral children.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Bails I agree with you on that.

The other half loves programmes about fatties and I can never understand how they can afford to have three of four take aways a week. I’m partial to a curry, but they’re a treat…we couldn’t afford one every other night and there’s only two of us.

brooess
    Free Member

I’d like to see a week’s worth of healthy home-cooked food for a family of four priced against the cost of ready-made/junk food. I’ll be very surprised if the healthy comes out more expensive.

A 500g bag of brown rice is £3.50 and lasts me months, eating rice 2-4 times a week
    A banana is 18p, apples and oranges c 50p. Choc bars are 60-70p
    Tinned pilchards are 50p/tin
    Cucumber, 75p
    Bag of spinach, 1.50 for a week’s worth
    6 free range eggs £1.50 (makes 3x 2-egg omlettes)

I think the ‘junk’ is cheap needs demonstrating as bunk. I think the real issue is people’s lack of confidence in making healthy food (although how you can lack the self-belief to cut up a cucumber, tomato and rinse some spinach leaves is beyond me…)

But what I really don’t get is the excuses and the resistance to being healthy. Why do people want to be ill?

bails

Mindmap3: make your own curries! I was given the “500 curries” book (by Mridula something) for Xmas and it’s genuinely brilliant, we have at least one a week now. Surprisingly quick and easy to make. Cheap too when you consider how long a bag of spices lasts.

And to the other posters suggesting free healthcare causes people to be lax with their diet, wouldn’t that make Americans slimmer and healthier than most of the rest of the first world?!

binners

The other half loves programmes about fatties and I can never understand how they can afford to have three of four take aways a week.

Indeed. Its not just fatties, and people from caaaaaaaarncel estates either, who we can all point at and laugh mockingly.

When channel 4 news were covering the horsemeat thing t’other week. There was a nice middle class family of 4 who were all eating Lasagna ready meals for tea. Which they did every night. Leaving aside the ‘what the **** did you think you were eating’ aspect, how much are 4 Findus ready meals? Surely it’d be cheaper, not to mention considerably nicer/healthier to just buy some fresh ingredients and cook a bloody lasagna. Its hardly difficult!

zilog6128

Well, the fact that it’s cheaper to buy rubbish food says it all really!

This old nonsense gets trotted out a lot. It’s bollocks though. Basic fruit & veg, rice, pasta, tinned tomatoes/beans/etc, all dirt cheap. People are just too lazy to cook.

nickc

At what point in history are we comparing the current population with health wise?

Given that death from preventable disease is falling,(heart disease, cancer, stroke, pulmonary etc) and life expectancy in 1900 was about 50 , and now it’s about 76 I’d say ‘most’ people are getting healthier.

Feel free to carry on demonising the poor and overweight though…

thx1138
    Free Member

There was a nice middle class family of 4 who were all eating Lasagna ready meals for tea.

They’re not proper middle class. They’re upper working class at best. A proper middle class family would be having organic tofu and hummus delivered by Occado.

Speaking of which…

cinnamon_girl

Bullshit. A sweeping and insulting statement.

People fail themselves.

You need to join the real world.

molgrips
    Free Member

no one is forced to buy rubbish food.

Interesting point that. You might as well say smokers aren’t forced to buy fags, or junkies aren’t forced to buy heroin.

Ok so it might not be that dramatic, but then again it might be depending on which neuroscientist you talk to. I’ve read articles saying that sugary fatty food is as addictive as fags, and yet everyone knows how hard it is to give those up.

The junk food industry is where the tobacco industry was 50 or so years ago – trying to get people hooked. They are paying scientists to concoct the MOST addictive more-ish stuff they can come up with, so that people buy more.

Basic fruit & veg, rice, pasta, tinned tomatoes/beans/etc, all dirt cheap

Hmm.. perhaps, but the really cheapo crap doesn’t actually contain that stuff, so is cheaper still.

binners

Fair point thx1138. They had a mahoosive fridge/freezer, not the far more compact, but infinitely superior design offered by Smeg.

But I suppose a diet of frightful ready meals necessitates such sacrifices. Can you imagine….

thx1138
    Free Member

In the ‘real world’, millions of people are successfully treated by the NHS each year. Countless lives are saved. Peoples’ quality of life is improved. A tiny number of people are ‘failed’. It’s not a perfect world.

thx1138
    Free Member

They had a mahoosive fridge/freezer, not the far more compact, but infinitely superior design offered by Smeg.

Smeg’s are so passé, dahling.

It’s all about walk-in pantries these days you know. One doesn’t have one’s appliances on show. How frightful.

mrmoofo

The junk food industry is where the tobacco industry was 50 or so years ago – trying to get people hooked. They are paying scientists to concoct the MOST addictive more-ish stuff they can come up with, so that people buy more.

Can youpost me the link that supports this? Or is this just anecdotal? The food industry is not concoting anything addictive, at all. They are making products that consumers like and buy – just as BMW makes cars that consumers buy.
    Sugar and salt are not addictive – but they are very stong drivers of liking … sugar content is process food has gone up markedly in the last 20 years or so. But that is because the consumer buys more food that contains higher sugar.
    If you don’t like the mass produced products , then don’t buy them. Absolutely no-one is forcing you to.
    As mentioned above , it is really easy to cook from ingredients – but then that takes time ….

alex222
    Free Member

Bullshit. A sweeping and insulting statement.
    People fail themselves.

The real world where the NHS did not let my mother or three of my grand parents down during their final stage of life? The real world where the NHS have effectively treated my and friends for falling off bikes / cliffs etc whilst taking part in outdoor pursuits / sports. The real world where ignorance and stupidity is rewarded? The real world where people apportion the blame for their problems at other peoples feet because they are not willing to face up to their own poor choices?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I think the problem is the wrong association with food. Its just fuel people.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

OH MY DAYUM 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bad health is classless, I encounter a lot of people with very good incomes through work and so many of them are in dreadful shape. Mainly due to lifestyle – long working days, quick easy food, snacks, little time or inclination to exercise and plenty of booze.

I cook mostly in our household but as I do work away on occasions I make things that we can freeze – lasagne being a prime example – the ingredients are all there, the oven is going on so why just cook one, stack 4 in, freeze 3 and screw Findus’ profit margins.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Rogerthecat, totally agree. My aunts family are fairly well off and her dad is in really poor shape and will no doubt suffer a heat attack. His wife is a great cook and always uses fresh ingredients etc but he eats too much, drinks too much and does little or no exercise.

You’d never see a ready meal in their house, bit they eat too much and are allergic to exercise so to speak.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

there was an interesting documentary recently called ” the men who made us fat ” which looked at the tricks the food industry played in peddling high sugar/ high salt products by labelling stuff as ” reduced fat” which was the buzzword at the time. At the end of the day we can’t not know by now that we are being targetted by an industry that wishes to maximise its profits and has massive lobbying power- to the extent that a lot of research is funded by the food industry ,and therefore to an extent controlled by them.
    On the other had people have to take responsibility for their own health .I was listening to two [ well educated and qualified ] fatties at work agreeing that ” you can have a healthy bowl of porridge for breakfast and then you walk past Mcdonalds and you can’t resist going in for an egg mc-muffin “.Funnily enough I have walked past the same store and managed not to buy an egg mc muffin on a daily basis for the last eight years !

binners

You’re more a sausage mc-muffin kind of guy I take it then Mr P 😉

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

ITS A FAIR COP BINNERS !!! [ in truth I would only ever use mcdonalds for their primary fuction- a mcpiss or mcshite for which they are generally well suited.

alex222
    Free Member

Breakfast is the best thing about Maccy D’s

brooess
    Free Member

Mr PotatoHead, you have a point that manufactured food is fundamentally unhealthy – I think this is well-known isn’t it?
    But the healthy stuff is still available and in the same shops – you just have to pick up different things when you’re in there- it’s not like we have no choice…
    And what I struggle with is the thought process of people like your colleagues, they know maccy D’s is fundamentally bad for them, but they still choose to eat it.
    It’s like some mad suicide cult mindset – let’s ruin ourselves!

piemonster

On the junk food front.

I think there is more to it than people solely being daft. There is a reason why people crave fatty foods, and it’s only really in the last few decades where lifestyle changes have enabled people access to high calorie intake and low calorie expenditure.

The desire to eat as much as possible probably served us well 5000 years ago, it’s unlikely those drivers are going to leave us any time soon.

cinnamon_girl

** Solo to the Forum please **

binners

Does anyone want anything from Greggs?

mrmoofo

there was an interesting documentary recently called ” the men who made us fat ” which looked at the tricks the food industry played in peddling high sugar/ high salt products by labelling stuff as ” reduced fat” which was the buzzword at the time. At the end of the day we can’t not know by now that we are being targetted by an industry that wishes to maximise its profits and has massive lobbying power- to the extent that a lot of research is funded by the food industry ,and therefore to an extent controlled by them.
    On the other had people have to take responsibility for their own health .I was listening to two [ well educated and qualified ] fatties at work agreeing that ” you can have a healthy bowl of porridge for breakfast and then you walk past Mcdonalds and you can’t resist going in for an egg mc-muffin “.Funnily enough I have walked past the same store and managed not to buy an egg mc muffin on a daily basis for the last eight years !

I watched that, in ernest, to see what information it brought up. It was a highly bias, Daily Mail sensationist POV. And they didn’t have a balance and a right to reply. Quite a lot of the points raise were factually incorrect, or mis reported.
    If you base your view of nurition on this “factoid” type journalism, then the world does have issues.

Has I have said, the food industry needs to stand up and be counted re labelling of products. Horse-gate has shown that – and the consumer has a right to say “if they lie about that, what about salt, sugar and fat content”.

Sugar, salt and fat are all drivers of liking, they are tastes that we want, and demand from manufacturers. But just stop buying it FFS!! You do not have to eat at Maccy Dees, frozen pizza or eat Coco Pops, or Pop Tarts. Posters on here are behaving just like every other community , and absolving themselves of any responsibility – because everything is the fault of “the man, babylon, the system, big business or space aliens”. It’s not – it’s yours

BTW – manufactured food is not fundamentally bad. It has allowed use to consume and preserve food that we would have never had access to, or use at different times of the year.

But poor quality nutrition is a whole different issue – and ultra processed foods can deliver this. But it’s still your choice …
    If you don’t want to eat shit food, don’t buy it. Simple.

kudos100
    Free Member

kudos, why do schools have to teach people about nutrition. What about their parents role in all of this?
    Junk food in not particularly cheap. Veg and fruit can be very cheap… They are just not convenient – and require preparation and time.

That you have to ask this question means you don’t have a clue.

mrmoofo

Kudos – answer the question, not a bitchy remark.
    What stops parents teaching their kids about life?
    What stop kids getting meal prepared in the house?

My parents did it,
    I have done it

Or are they holding guns to your head when you walk around Asda, and threatening you if you don’t buy high fat ready meals ?

kudos100
    Free Member

Yes my parents did it and as a result I eat a good diet and am pretty healthy.

What about the majority who know nothing about nutrition? Do they rely on their parents who also know nothing about nutrition or school where they eat crap meals and get taught how to bake cakes in home economics?

IMO schools have a responsiblity to teach kids about diet and exercise.

mrmoofo

Kudos – it is great that you have a good nutritional background.

But schools are the formal part of a kids education. Over the years they have been expected to do more and more – sex education, religious instruction etc.
    But fundamentally we need then to teach kids to read , write and do maths, understand science and maybe appreciate art, so they can develop into useful memebers of society. Not feral beings

Schools should not be there to teach kids morals, a coda for life, self responsibility, wash their smelly bits, clean their teath, stop them getting pregnant, develop a work ethic or preparation for the big wide world. It is their parents that should and/or their community. Parenst should teach you how to cook, clean, iron, shave, deal with death and new members of the familiy, help you devlop emotional maturity. And how to cook an egg, cook a pork chop, make a chicken soup …

If parents don’t care about their kids, why should anyone else take responsibility? Fortunately, for many parents now, others do. And then get blamed by the same lazy, idle, stupid and fat parents …

If, what you are saying, is that schools have to do this because parenst are too irresponsible, then we are on the same page. But lets address the parenting standards – rather than blaming “the system”

binners

Parents should teach kids about diet and exercise. Its got nothing to do with schools. They’ve got enough stuff to sort out as it is. And whats more, you shouldn’t be regarding it as ‘teaching’, it should just be part of daily life

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m afraid to say that even we fat people pay tax ( and quite a lot of it) , so I have just as much right to access medical care a skinny people, who may well be paying less, paying as much, or not at all.

Absolutely not. Taxation is not a subscription for a service. Otherwise rich people would get all the best services for free, and poor people would get nothing.

i really do feel we need to challenge some of the cultural attitudes we have in the UK towards exercise

Couldn’t agree more. In some ways elite sport damages everyday participation, because people think that exercise means being really into some sport. It should be part of everyday life, like walking or cycling for transport.

Posters on here are behaving just like every other community , and absolving themselves of any responsibility

We’re really not.

However we are a bit like pawns. Some may have the willpower and sense to resist this, some may not. But the question is about the morality of the game itself.

Yes, we do have a choice; and yes it is clearly our responsibility. But the food companies are trying their best to make it as hard a choice as possible. This has to be acknowledged (not as an excuse) because through acknowledgement we can start to push back.

binners

Yes, we do have a choice; and yes it is clearly our responsibility. But the food companies are trying their best to make it as hard a choice as possible

Just one of their wheezes

brooess
    Free Member

Supermarkets don’t help either. I mean it’s never hard to find the chocolate and crisps is it?

alex222
    Free Member

Supermarkets don’t help either. I mean it’s never hard to find the chocolate and crispsready meals is it?

Bunnyhop

b r – Member

A few years ago I was a walk leader for the local council.

Seriously? Yes.
    The council were asked along with local hospitals to ask volunteers to take out members of the public.
    Many people would love to take exercise but don’t know where to start. So by having a designated meeting place at a certain time each day of the week, people could come along and be guided along local footpaths, in the fresh air, thus getting some form of exercise, meeting new people and in many cases coming alone, where they would normally be stuck indoors. These were advertised in the local library, newpaper and doctor’s waiting room.
    At one time it became so popular that it wasn’t uncommon to have over 30 people on any one walk.
    It soon became clear that people taking part in these council lead walks were then getting together little groups of their own (at the weekends) and walking longer distances and more often then they ever thought possible.
    Success me thinks.

Edit; Forgot to mention in these times of council cutbacks, I no longer am able to lead the walks as they can’t fork out the expense of insuring us. Yes one lady did try to sue, when she walked across a slippery path and fell 🙄

rossi46
    Free Member

Maybe just maybe it could be the fact that we are all sick to death of being told what to do all the time, so the general response is ‘B******s to it i’ll do what i want and have a great time doing it’ 😉
    Want to go to your grave with a well presented body or slide in sideways with a bevvy in hand and say what a great ride?

Edit: we are all cyclists right? So i guess we all have a healthy level of fitness, so i guess this conversation on a cycling forum is probably a bit one sided…..

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Health-wise is this country utterly going/gone to the dogs?’ is closed to new replies.