Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Health-wise is this country utterly going/gone to the dogs?
  • richmtb

The problem is life for most of us is very physically undemanding.

As an example all of us having this debate are sat down.

Actually providing yourself with a bit of exercise requires a bit of thought and planning if its not part of your day to day life.

This is beyond quite a lot of people.

The government could help a little more with things like food labelling but really people have to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

problem is though if you do want to get off your ass it costs.

Running is free!!!

brooess
    Free Member

problem is though if you do want to get off your ass it costs.

Running is free!!!

You just move your legs faster…

Drac

we are firmly in the age of narcissism where children don’t want to be firemen, nurses or train drivers any more they just want to be famous.

Are we?

2 Daughters here one wants to be Dr the other a Vet.

Bunnyhop

A few years ago I was a walk leader for the local council.
    Mainly for introducing members of the public who had gone through surgery and/or suffered heart attacks to light easy exercise, mainly walking.
    We were also encouraged to get parents to walk (where possible) their children to school. Blimey the excuses were fantastic.
    The most used excuse was ‘they won’t or can’t’. Quite worrying for the future I fear.

footflaps

hard work and delayed gratification are an anathema to the fatuous, feckless, ignorant and idle members of society who full of their own self importance give nothing and take everything they can from society.

That’s no way to speak about your fellow STWers….

footflaps

Are we?

2 Daughters here one wants to be Dr the other a Vet.

Have you let them watch TOWIE? It’s not too late for them to change…

br
    Free Member

A few years ago I was a walk leader for the local council.

Seriously?

aracer
    Free Member

Surely the correct term is “gone to the horses”?

Drac

Have you let them watch TOWIE? It’s not too late for them to change…

I have to suffer them being subjected to celebrities come dancing on ice have got talent-factor that’s bad enough.

mrmoofo

Actually, I think Britain has a load to be proud about – having lived for the last 10 years in CH and Germany, I feel I have a good perspective on what is good and what isn’t

Unfortunately many still see Britain as the one of the 60s where we were still a leader , or one of the leaders of the world. Sadly , we are a long way from this , and really struggling with what our place should be.

Schooling seems to be a paradox – progressive , non competitive ideas are at the forefront – but the irony is that the world is nasty, competitive, hostile and aggressive. Feel free to wrap you kids in cotton wool – and then just see how badly they cope with modern life. The parents role in life is to train their youngsters to survive in the world outside- not coset them.

I think the UK is a great place – I have chosen to move (partially) back. I don’t believe it is going to the dogs, I don’t believe it is a shithole. It has a really great innovative streak , which is second to none in the world. We also have an ability to problem solve and grasp squirrely concepts much better than , say , the Germans.

But we do have a rising underclass – who won’t work/don’t want to work. Add to that a raft of people who will not take responsibility for their actions and offspring. This is the major challenge going forwards (and the fact we have been bankrupted by the financial institutions – who continue to cream in money , and still be have like the people I have just mentioned).

Britain to start taking it seriously – education is much, much better in Ireland. It now costs 18k to go to University. You need to go to University to become a nurse, or a paramedic !! Good education, good parenting skills, good prospects and a new sense of pride would all be a start.

It’s not just the UKs issue – Germany, Italy , Spain, France all have similar ( and in some cases) worse issue. But to steal Kennedy’s line, ” Don’t ask Britain what it can do for you, ask what you can do for Britain”. Please note that, all locals, and those choosing to move to Blighty

thx1138
    Free Member

We also have an ability to problem solve and grasp squirrely concepts much better than , say , the Germans.

What does this bollocks actually mean?

But we do have a rising underclass – who won’t work/don’t want to work. Add to that a raft of people who will not take responsibility for their actions and offspring.

Problem is that increasing numbers of people are disillusioned, and see now real ‘reward’ for their efforts. Jobs don’t have the same respect and value they once did, and workers are instantly replaceable and expendable. So morale and confidence are very low. Performance and standards drop, and the situation doesn’t seem to be about to improve any time soon.

We all need to collectively take responsibility for our society, not simply demanding that others do it for us.

Unfortunately many still see Britain as the one of the 60s where we were still a leader , or one of the leaders of the world. Sadly , we are a long way from this , and really struggling with what our place should be.

Britain enjoyed wealth generated from the various colonies it exploited. That resource stream has dried up. Britain has failed to adapt and change sufficiently to maintain it’s artificially created ‘position’. In real terms, we’re way way behind many nations, and our ‘natural’ position relative to what resources we actually have, is way lower than where we are now. So, that’s where we’re headed. To think otherwise is deluded and denying the inevitable reality.

piemonster

The underclass yesterday….

brooess
    Free Member

MrMoofo, I agree, UK has much going for it. One of the freeest countries in the world for a start.
    We need to recognise we’ve a lot of positives here, pull together and work towards the better future we want for ourselves – what our grandparents did, basically.

But you’re well OT – I’m the OP and my question was about health (obesity and drinking in particular), not the country in general…

As you were… 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Fat people, heavy drinkers and smokers should all be put down and save society turning to ruin trying to keep their pathetic bodies going

kudos100
    Free Member

Everyone blames the government …

Junk food is cheap and fruit and vegetables are expensive. Nutrition is not taught in schools and school dinners are poor. Kids hardly have to do games/p.e anymore.

And you wonder why people blame the government?

thx1138
    Free Member

Fat people, heavy drinkers and smokers should all be put down and save society turning to ruin trying to keep their pathetic bodies going

Are you an independent councillor in Cornwall?

johndoh
    Free Member

Edit: won’t even say it

mrmoofo

kudos, why do schools have to teach people about nutrition. What about their parents role in all of this?
    Junk food in not particularly cheap. Veg and fruit can be very cheap… They are just not convenient – and require preparation and time.

anyway – back to the topic …

vickypea
    Free Member

To the folks who criticise the “nanny state”, and who feel that people should be totally free to smoke, drink, eat, and sit on their arses as they choose- should the NHS then be free to tell those people to sling their hook when they come along expecting free treatment for their type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and obesity? If people can’t take responsibility for their own health them they need nannying and nagging.

johndoh
    Free Member

Vicky – not sure what you are saying/claiming/asking

slackalice
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences. So apologies if this has been previously suggested; what are your thoughts towards the basic cultural issue encouraging the trend is that healthcare is free at the point of delivery.

How much value is placed on the healthcare professionals and providers when, to the tabloid picture people, the doctor is free? True, prescription drugs are sometimes more expensive on a ‘script, however perceived value overall is that someone else pays for it.

Would you say, for example, that a self- responsible attitude towards one’s own health, is directly proportional to the amount we pay for it?

cinnamon_girl

The NHS manages to fail many people. I have to pay for my own healthcare, tests and pharmaceuticals.

Not all overweight people can blame over-eating. Don’t judge.

vickypea
    Free Member

Johndoh- my point is that whenever this debate comes up, there’s always a few people who take the opinion that the government should stop interfering and telling people that they shouldn’t eat and drink unhealthily, and should exercise more. What I’m saying is that given the state of the nation’s health and consequent drain on the already struggling NHS, you can’t blame the government for nagging us to be more healthy if we’re going to continue to expect free medical treatment as a result of self-inflicted neglect of health.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m not judging all overweight or unhealthy people, I’m saying that where your ill health is self inflicted you need to man up and take responsibility for your own health.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure for how much longer the country can afford the NHS anyway.

With a national debt closing in on 900% of GDP, and government spend outstripping tax receipts, some public services are going to be ‘tenderised’.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure for how much longer the country can afford the NHS anyway.

Private healthcare is much less cost effective. So if the UK can’t afford a national health service paid for through taxation, then it can afford even less the alternative.

It’s nothing to do with ‘affording’ and everything to do with priorities.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

while I’m not a fan of telling people exactly what to do i really do feel we need to challenge some of the cultural attitudes we have in the UK towards exercise – far too many people seem to view physical fitness as a ‘niche’ thing and find it actively weird if you do a sport/hobby that involves effort. Even walking to work is seen as a bit odd if its more than 5 minutes or raining. I had hoped the Olympics would have some effect here (and to be fair it does seem to have pushed some people from ‘interested’ to ‘participating’ in sport) but most of my co-workers and a depressing number of my friends seem to see athletes as a different type of celebrity to be liked/disliked on the basis of their tv appearances.

mrmoofo

Mr Synthpop,

I would have to agree – telling people to do something means they will react against it. Making people want to do something is a whole different thing. It’s a real shame that the energy and hype of the Olympics has died so soon , and the legacy … well, where is it?
    For a short moment in Sept it seemed that the whole of the country was motivated …
    I assume that where you live in the country also has an effect – in sunny Brighton ( well, unsunny Brighton for he alst 8 weeks) , the front is always occupied by people running or cycling, no matter what the weather – is this something to do with more out-door lifestyles.

I guess the drive is a little different if you live in Wythenshawe

slackalice
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with ‘affording’ and everything to do with priorities.

I guess so ernie. I’m glad I wont be the one to make the final decision as to which priority is greater than the other priorities.

Bottom line is if there is no money and earnings wont cover even a negative interest rate…. isn’t that when repossession occurs?!

gonefishin
    Free Member

With a national debt closing in on 900% of GDP,

Not sure where you get that from. A quick google sugggests that UK national debt is just over 70% of GDP. If my debt was that low I’d be a very happy bunny indeed.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/334/uk-economy/uk-national-debt/

piemonster

Not even sure 900% is right when including Bank liabilities and property based debt.

Curiosity has been roused!?

piemonster

Total UK debt is 500% of GDP in mid 2012

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/4060/economics/total-uk-debt/

Still in curiosity mode, does the total UK debt include liabilities held by banks?

Probably haven’t defined that very well, I think ‘liabilities’ is the right word

cinnamon_girl

Food manufacturers need to be taken to task. I’m not one for Government intervention but this subject can not be ignored any longer.

binners

Fat people, heavy drinkers and smokers should all be put down and save society turning to ruin trying to keep their pathetic bodies going then we can look at how much we’ll have to raise everybodies income tax to compensate for the enormous loss of revenue

FTFY. Well put though. Some people can resort to being self-righteous, sanctimonious, and generally a right pompous arse when commenting on subjects like this! Thank goodness you didn’t fall into that trap

cinnamon_girl

Well, the fact that it’s cheaper to buy rubbish food says it all really! Sugar, carbs etc are addictive hence obesity.

Food manufacturers need to be told to stop making such rubbish food by being threatened with sanctions ie large fines. Of course this will never happen, just another example of self-serving politicians and their mates sitting on the Boards.

Edit: blimey, I’m getting as cynical as Binners. 😆

binners

Food manufacturers need to be taken to task. I’m not one for Government intervention but this subject can not be ignored any longer.

CG… Don’t hold your breath. Remember that when Dave and Chums were elected, they basically got the biggest names in the food industry to come in and right their policy for them. This represents the wonderful ‘self-regulation’ that they have been shouting about across all industries. Surely only the most cynical amongst us would refer to this as ‘non-regulation’. I mean… with the supply of meat to supermarkets, for example, its been going really well

you really couldn’t make it up

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi piemonster, I may not have got all the numbers correct, however this does have projections too

uk public spending

Cheers

alex222
    Free Member

The NHS manages to fail many people.

Bullshit. A sweeping and insulting statement.

People fail themselves.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It is a massive issue, much of which is self I inflicted and I do agree with the points that some people think it strange that you go out running, walking, cycling etc despite the weather. But also agree that if the government try and twist people’s arms they will kick back against it.

Education plays it’s part…there isn’t enough emphasis in sport at school (even more so now that competition appears to be a dirty word) but it needs to come from the home too. Parents need to be active and encout theirs kids to be as well. Even if it is walking to school etc. I amazes me how many people close to my office drive to work, despite the ridiculous parking levy in Nottingham. Some people are ten minutes walk and would rather pay thirty quid a month for a parking space than get off their bums and walk.

On the flip side, walking from Euston to Paddington this morning I was genuinely amazed by the number if people running and cycling to work although this doesn’t seem that common elsewhere.

If more people exercised, they may actually enjoy it. I do and I was never that sporty at school (all I wanted to do was ride my bike, so I had no interest in rugby or tennis) but I genuinely love running, cycling, doing weights sessions etc and feel guilty when I miss it. Over the last year I’ve lost a fair bit of weight, realised that I’d been a lazy fat bar steward who’d let mysef go. I feel loads better about myself and am looking forward to my first half marathon on Sunday.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Health-wise is this country utterly going/gone to the dogs?’ is closed to new replies.