Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Health and safety madness V2
  • matt_outandabout

This week a colleague who is a landscape architect designing all sorts of fabulous school playgrounds as part of a Scottish gov project…
    …had a quarry refuse to sell stones to him as it was ‘inappropriate’ for a playgrounds and ‘had he not thought of the children’s health and safety’?
    😐

yossarian
    Free Member

Me again 😀

Why was it inappropriate? Sounds like a cop out by the supplier unless its the kind of stone that kills baby robins in their sleep.

marty
    Free Member

want to see the scar I got from falling on red stone chips as a nipper?

matt_outandabout

Nope, just a supplier that thought stone was wrong in a playground, went as far as contacting the boss and telling him so…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…had a quarry refuse to sell stones to him as it was ‘inappropriate’ for a playgrounds and ‘had he not thought of the children’s health and safety’?

Why do these reasons always smell strongly of bullshit?

matt_outandabout

I know, but he was serious.
    The landscape guy had been up a week earlier, got prices and spied out some rocks. They agreed to drag them all out, and he come and make final choice with contractor on Wednesday.
    The quarry boss turned up and objected – they had even marked up which boulders they wanted with spray paint, and were organising the two HGVs to pick them up and deliver today.

yossarian
    Free Member

Why do these reasons always smell strongly of bullshit?

Usually it’s cos they are bullshit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It just sounds bizarre…

Landscape dude want buy big rock
    Landscape dude find **** big rock
    Landscape dude poo on rock find for playground mark for him
    Landscape dude bring lorry carry poo’d on rock to playground
    Quarry master say no for rock for kiddies playground for danger fally downy
    Quarry master say he not want for money kiddies safety important not jobs and economy

Dunno…sounds well dodge.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is Health & Safety new way of crippling Btitish industry …? 😯

I bet health & safety have taken out so much of life learning that in future you simply die when you get hay fever … 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is Health & Safety new way of crippling Btitish industry …?

I bet health & safety have taken out so much of life learning that in future you simply die when you get hay fever …

This also smells of bullshit.

crikey
    Free Member

This also smells of bullshit.

Er, you’ll not be smelling anything until I see the COSHH assessment…

yossarian
    Free Member

People/companies use health and safety for a wide variety of reasons. Sometimes it’s genuine, sometimes it’s to sell you something else or to comply with badly thought out company rules that have no basis in law.

OP – advise your mate to ask specifically why it’s not suitable. The stench of bullshit with either disappear with a well reasoned response from the supplier or get stronger, on which case change the supplier.

My missus works in quarrying. Her response was ‘ha, ha, bullshit’.

MoreCashThanDash

Mate of mine works in H&S – this kind of story is always good to raise his blood pressure.

I reckon they’d already sold those rocks to someone else…..

chewkw
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Is Health & Safety new way of crippling Btitish industry …?

I bet health & safety have taken out so much of life learning that in future you simply die when you get hay fever …

This also smells of bullshit

I suggest you submit method statement and risk assessment to STW before using the world “bullshit” because this may cause severe concern to my mental health. Especially when I have not eaten my dinner yet and the ” … smells of bullshit” … really disturbs me taste.

Therefore, I will take everyone of you to court for creating an atmosphere of bullshit that renders my taste bud completely full of shite.

😈

bruneep

I reckon they’d already sold those rocks to someone else…..

Would there not be a hole in ground with lots more big stones if they had sold them?

tthew

Er, you’ll not be smelling anything until I see the COSHH assessment…

Brilliant Crikey. Beer just came out of my nose.
    *does Google search for Black Sheep MSDS just in case*

wallop

The person who specifies the stone has a duty to ensure the safety of users, not the supplier.

brakes
    Free Member

I was booking a meeting room the other day and asked if we could put a couple of extra chairs in the room as some unexpected people had turned up.
    we were told no. why? for health and safety reasons.
    they couldn’t explain the reasons, only that they were health and safety related.
    ******* numpties.

chewkw
    Free Member

wallop – Member

The person who specifies the stone has a duty to ensure the safety of users, not the supplier.

You mean radioactive stones?

brakes – Member

they couldn’t explain the reasons, only that they were health and safety related.
    ******* numpties.

The floor would collapse? No? The building has a weak structure? No? You guys are going to turn the room in acid house party? No?

wallop

😆

@brakes – I guess they just wanted to charge you for a bigger room. Numpties indeed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mate of mine works in H&S – this kind of story is always good to raise his blood pressure.

Following the risk assessment has he prepared a method statement for the safe perusal of such stories, eg, only to be read when in a quiet horizontal position ?

yossarian
    Free Member

I was booking a meeting room the other day and asked if we could put a couple of extra chairs in the room as some unexpected people had turned up.
    ******* numpties.

1. They didn’t have any more chairs to give you
    2. Their fire RA (externally delivered) has maximum occupancies and they aren’t bright enough to challenge numbers
    3. They couldn’t be bothered
    4. Some little manager has told them not to and to try and sell bigger rooms

My guess is all 4

matt_outandabout

Meh, we have more quarries round here. New rocks ordered for Tuesday.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Health and safety madness V2’ is closed to new replies.