Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset size confusion and options
  • brakes
    Free Member

I have a Stumpjumper FSR carbon frame which needs a headset – the one on the standard spec bike which has a tapered steerer is described as follows:
    “1-1/8 and 1.5″ Threadless, Campy style upper with 1.5″ lower, cartridge bearings”
    If I wanted to put a 1 1/8″ steerer fork in there I guess I would need a headset with a campy (Campagnolo) style upper cup with a step down 1.5″ lower cup. Is this right? If so can I buy/ where can I buy a headset like this?

brakes
    Free Member

seems Hope do a pick and mix option for headsets, so anyone know which ones I need?

brakes
    Free Member

no-one?
    I’ll see what Hope say.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

on-one do one for that very job:

null

Irish_AL
    Free Member

well that link didnt work lol

just goto on-one and search smoothie headset

brakes
    Free Member

cheers, will check it out

longwayhome
    Free Member

Have you read the pdf on headset sizes in technical support on the Hope website? It’s very helpful.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Getting access to a micromoter to measure dimensions of the headtube will make your life a lot easier.

Not sure what they mean by “Campy style” but as far as the bottom is concerned one solution to futureproof yourself is fitting any headset for a tapered steerer and then getting the reducer shown in the bottom of the picture you posted. This is a top-hat shaped piece of aluminium where the inside fits over a 1 1/8th steerer and the outside is the same size as a 1 1/2 steerer so the crown race for a 1 1/2 fits over it as normal. They’re about £8 and (I believe) work with any headset.

I’ve not seen one but I believe the Superstar solution is to supply two crown races, one to fit a 1 1/8th steerer and one to fit 1 1/2.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Headset size confusion and options’ is closed to new replies.