Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Headset removal tool for 1.5" headsets?
  • Mintyjim

I have the splayed pipe design for 1 1/8 ” headsets but it’s not terribly effective on the bigger size and tends to gouge the cups. Both my bikes now run 1.5″.

Any recommendations out there? After a childhood and early adulthood of using a hammer and wooden batten I don’t mind buying a tool!

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bigger headset = Bigger hammer, no?

z1ppy

Got mine out with a hammer & piece of wood, but was checking out the superstar components 1.5 headset removal tool (they didn’t have them in stock when last needed to do it)

nonk
    Free Member

wont it splay a bit more?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

on a similar subject (thread hijack!) what advice for fitting a 1.5″ crown race to a tapered steerer? I’ve never fitted my own forks before and have cobbled together a cheapo headset press, but not sure the of the best tactic for the crown race. Don’t want to spend big bucks on a fancy tool ‘cos probably won’t do this very many times in my life.

granny_ring

I’m with nonk, can you not wedge something in to open it up a tad, so to speak 😀

Mintyjim

I’ve tried splaying it a bit more and I’ve split one of the four ‘tongues’ at it’s base.

Cheers Z1ppy, That one at Superstar will do the trick!
    Just need to improve the mods on my headset press now for 1.5″…increased complexity due to one of my headsets being an angle reducer one so the cups have a slope on them, whoppee do!

Should also point out that, in general, the 1.5″ headset cups sit flush to the headtube so using the wood and hammer around the edge isn’t effective!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Mintyjim, since when can you not do it with a flat-blade screwdriver and a hammer? I did it on the Prophet a couple of times. Granted, the cups weren’t too happy but they were bin-bound anyway.

Mintyjim

I agree you can use a screwdriver blade and hammer but from inside the headtube.
    I used to use the wooden batten and hammer around the edge of the 1 1/8″ headset cups, which you can’t do on my 1.5″ cups.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Bastard of a job. I used a piece of 1 1/4″ pipe and a lump hammer. Scary job. Can’t believe how much bashing it took.

z1ppy

Why not?
    Admittedly I’ve only remove a C’dale headset from mine, but it still had an inside lip I could hit with a wooden batton, can’t see the 1.5 headset I fitted being any different.

jamiep
    Free Member

Am I missing something here?? Im an utter noob at this mbking lark but have recently, for the very first time ever, fitted/removed two 1.5 headsets with a length of wood and a rubber mallet. What more is there to it?

Mintyjim

On my Prophet the headtube to cup side is flush, no lip, in fact the top cup was flush, more or less, with the top of headtube. So no external access point (prominent external lip) for wood, screwdriver or whatever.

I agree: wood and mallet works
    I agree: screwdriver and hammer works

With my headset there’s no outside, usable, lip for a piece of wood to get a purchase on, so I would have to hit the cup from the inside of the headtube.

My original question was if there’s a 1.5″ specific tool for removing cups – sometimes I just like to have a shiny new tool, so to speak.

I got my answer – Superstar do one.

TheSwede
    Free Member

My intense head tube is tapered from the middle out, up and down so very difficult to get any thing on the lip of the cups. As for using wood. Pah, the steel tube a was using was deforming on the ends. Maybe some frames and headsets are simpler to work on but mine. Bastard!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Am I missing something here?? Im an utter noob at this mbking lark but have recently, for the very first time ever, fitted/removed two 1.5 headsets with a length of wood and a rubber mallet. What more is there to it?

Some are easier to fit than others and some people like to have the right tool for the job. Judging by how much elbow grease was needed to fit my cups using a (home made) headset press, I doubt if mallet and length of wood would have worked very effectively, but I guess other cups go in more easily

antigee

previously i’d used a wooden dowel and a hammer but for recent swop had to buy a tool just couldn’t shift them – says on box does 1,1/8 and 1.1/2 so if buying one might be worth looking for can’t remember where got it from – useless

but not sure the of the best tactic for the crown race

plastic pipe and a rubber mallet has always worked for me

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Headset removal tool for 1.5" headsets?’ is closed to new replies.