Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Heading to Scotland to watch the World Cup. Worth taking my bike?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Evening folks. I am off to Scotland in a few days with the family to watch the world cup (hopefully the snow will melt). We are staying in the middle of nowhere, the nearest towns/villages are Duror and Kentallen.

I’m kind of wondering if it’s worth taking my MTB with me? We’re going to be there for a week and there’ll most likely be a day when the missus is sick of sight seeing and will want to stay planted, so I might get out. I wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity to explore some great trails (if there are any in the general area). I’d be prepared to travel a fair bit if there’s something good.

Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

take skis

jimjam
    Free Member

thegreatape
    Free Member

Where are you staying? There are one or two trails in that area, although it depends on what you’re looking for.

jimjam
    Free Member

Keil (I think). The wife has organised everything. I enjoy most kinds of riding. Home riding is steep fast and technical, but I won’t be too fussy if it’s just a one off. Bike is 160mm travel so less than ideal for hardcore XC drudgery.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll drop you an email with some ideas if you like

jimjam
    Free Member

That’d be great. Email in my profile.
    Thanks

thegreatape
    Free Member

No bother. At work just now so I’ll do it in the morning.

br
    Free Member

I’m kind of wondering if it’s worth taking my MTB with me?

No point. No riding whatsoever in Scotland…

jimjam
    Free Member

b r
    No point. No riding whatsoever in Scotland…

Yes well thanks for that, but if you haven’t guessed I’m trying to weigh up whether it’ll be worth the hassle of breaking the bike down/packing gear and lugging it on a 420 mile round trip for maybe one day of riding.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Rambling email sent jim

jimjam
    Free Member

much appreciated.

Northwind

It’s not an area I know that well so I’ll be missing tons of options but if I wanted a day of riding near there, I’d go up to kinlochleven, it’s not a “big day out” as I’d be riding loops near the town rather than covering big distance but the riding is just phenomenal, my favourite in the UK. Like riding dried out riverbeds only wetter. And simple to navigate too. I’m unimaginative so I’d just ride the trails from the dudes enduro and maybe the ciaran path.

If you fancy walking in the footsteps, last time i was there they reopened the dh on the monday- it was a little later than usual but still worth the visit.

jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Thegreatape’s email has certainly convinced me it’ll be worth taking the bike.

If you fancy walking in the footsteps, last time i was there they reopened the dh on the monday- it was a little later than usual but still worth the visit.

Not sure I do. Certainly not the DH track, quite a few of my friends have raced there and describe it as an extremely physical track that takes a while to learn and is just frustrating until you do. I don’t think I’ll be packing a full face and dual plys anyway.

but the riding is just phenomenal, my favourite in the UK. Like riding dried out riverbeds only wetter. And simple to navigate too. I’m unimaginative so I’d just ride the trails from the dudes enduro and maybe the ciaran path.

That’s intriguing, could you elaborate a wee bit Northwind or maybe point me in the direction of some links/info on the Dudes enduro? / trails you’re refering to?

whitestone
    Free Member

I misread the thread title as: “heading to Scotland to watch the world cup, worth taking my wife?” 😳

cblair246
    Free Member

Northwind, thinking of trying to ride the DH red on the monday after the race. Can you remember what sort of time they opened the gondola on the Monday you did this?

Northwind

If you google for Dudes of Hazard Enduro you should find some vids etc of some of the riding. Here’s a map of one of the years’ stages:

https://www.strava.com/activities/217409822

The southern one wasn’t as good as the others imo, it’s got some brilliant, challenging riding in the main descent but it’s a wee bit short, also a bit of a slog across a swamp, and some wasted height.

@cblair- can’t remember I’m afraid, it’d be worth asking I think as that was a few years back.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Heading to Scotland to watch the World Cup. Worth taking my bike?’ is closed to new replies.