Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • heading to Cornwall in an hour – holiday suggestions?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

so planning never happened… heading to cornwall in about an hour with the GF.

3 full days, want a beach day, a pleasant bike ride and a nice walk. also need campsite recommendations – as remote and awesome as possible. and some nice beaches to go to (pref not ALL the way down the peninsula!)

any other suggestions gratefully received as we’ve done no planning whatsoever… hopefully the campsites won’t be fully booked…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dont eat the yellow snow?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Treen Farm campsite (google treen beach). It’s not at the end. Not nearly. It’s a good hours walk away…

mattrgee
    Free Member

Harlyn Bay is nice, lots of surf for beginners, a nice walk in either direction which will take you to more beaches and Padstow if you want somewhere busier on an evening. Lots of places in that general area.

oomidamon

Blue Bar, Porthtowan at sunset for food and drinks – just a very cool place to be.

AJH68
    Free Member
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Blue bar!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Perranporth has everything and in this weather will be totally awesome.

sambob
    Free Member

Try surfing? Shouldn’t be TOO busy yet as most schools haven’t broken up for the summer yet.

jam-bo

you’ll be lucky to get any surf in this week.

still weathers lovely, bit cooler today and hotting up again for the weekend.

camel trail on bikes is a nice day out, can hire them in wadebridge and ride out to padstow.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

lol Camel Trail Day out. Unless your girlfriend is 6 its an hours ride tops. Used to take me 20 mins while smoking a spliff

munrobiker
    Free Member

Looe is very nice, Tom, and not all the way down- good beach, very pretty, very twee. Campsites up the top of the valley. Nice old men in boats providing a ferry service across the river at high tide to save you walking round to the bridge.

Walking is good along the coast- there’s some nice trails and I think you can ride them in one direction too. There’s nice road riding around there too.

lasty
    Free Member

BLUE BAR – PORTHTOWAN ….

By a bizarre quirk of fate just had 3 days in mi old vw camper ON Porthowan beach – magical place, the sunsets were stunning .
    Friends have just bought a beachside plot and let us kip there, left hand side, opposite the surf club. Needless to say the blue bar got some hammer …. 😆
    Looks to be some good sites locally though – quiet too ..

Lots of rides within the area and saw a couple of hire shops if youre stuck .

Google it – could do a lot worse !

oomidamon

Cardinham Woods near Bodmin has some trails. Not ridden them myself but heard that they are ok.

hoodoo
    Free Member

How about Porthemmet 😉

andymac
    Free Member

My wife is from Cornwall and she would also say the Blue Bar!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Cardinham trails are good. Short but very sweet, a couple of laps should see you get the best out of it. Don’t be put off by the blue grade it’s more than just a flat pootle through the woods loads of nice flowing swoopy bits although nothing too intimidating for the inexperienced or a beginner (kind of a blue and a half grade if you like)
    Lots of good natural stuff in the area too but a lot of it is not on the map or officially a bit cheeky – might be best to find a local to show you around if you can
    If you’re into jumps and stuff The Track near Portreath is apparently excellent (too old/rubbish/scared to ride there myself!)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks all! i reckon we’ll head towards looes (cheers luke) tonight and see where we go from there. will keep checking back to see what ppl say – the joys of a smart phone!

carlosg
    Free Member

Nice walk along the cliff from Looe to Polperro , we did it with our 5 year old (from Polperro) and got the bus back , we sat watching 3 grey seals for about an hour in Looe bay when we got to Hannafore on the edge of Looe.

adi66
    Free Member

Kynanace Cove if you don’t mind a busy beach, with stunning caves, rocks, and a wicked beach that is only accessable at low tide.

Forn a REALLY nice walk head out toward St Martin in Menage / Morgan in Menage and head for Tremayne Quay (In the National Trust Book) Its a bit of a walk through a bluebell (was kast month anyway) filled wood, to a stunning view of Helford River…. as a bonus you can camp there too (No facilitys, except for a rope swing, and a fire circle.

…. The view at sunrise is AMAZING, I Ran there every day whilst I was on Holiday.

Mind the lanes though, they are proper Cornish lanes, so not for the faint hearted !

PrinceJohn

Perranporth today – beware the nudist’s on the right…

Cardinham is great fun – running soooo fast at the moment.

Blue Bar is good, as is the Watering Hole at Perranporth, but both come with a beach front premium – in the afternoon I’d recommend Chapel Porth nr St Agnes on the North Coast, or as others have mentioned Kynance Cove, Sennen will also be lovely at the moment. Given the current weather provided you avoid Newquay you’ll be fine

LenHankie

Just got back from there a few weeks ago:

If you’re anywhere near the North Coast…

Watergate Bay, between Newquay and Padstow for a huge and quiet, yet stunning, sandy beach. There’s a Jamie Oliver ’15’ restaurant there too, if that’s your thing.

Also, Retallack Resort near Padstow has a ‘Flowrider’ static wave – so you can practice several days worth of surfing in the space of an hour, no waiting to catch that perfect wave. Great fun for kids too (over 5).
    Good accommodation in purpose built lodges in lovely scenery there too.

Flowrider at Retallack

robbieh
    Free Member

I,m here on a site near Redruth, Surf is flat now for a few days, I had the last bits of swell on Sat, Sun, and Mon. Local beaches are Porthtowan, Portreath and Chapel Porth. Blue bar is a trendy place to eat, drink and watch awesome sunsets. Have ridden Cardinham 3 times now and the coast to coast trail from Portreath to Devoran is a gentle flat ride with a quarry along the way which could be fun. there are some more rides around near Truro but have,nt tried them yet. Looks like being calm tomorrow so am going to try snorkelling around Godrevy where the seals are… Have fun, loads to do when the weather,s like it is now.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Would show you around but had an Incident at 20 mph yesterday at Cardinham.

Some amazing riding around St Agness etc.

weather is stunning..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘heading to Cornwall in an hour – holiday suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.