Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Head torch for running?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

My usual route consists of dimly-lit cratered lanes with very little traffic but I need to see where I’m going

Battery life not too important I’m only out for 30-40 minutes but it needs to be unobtrusive

ElShalimo

LED Lenser have lots of options for the runner. It seems the H7 is an STW favourite

Digby

I’ve been very happy with my Petzl Tikka RXP.

Not too heavy and stable when running over rough ground.
    Washable strap stops it getting whiffy.
    Reactive light and different settings which you can customise with the Petzl software (which also shows charging progress)

cp

I’m a big fan of the alpkit gamma for running – not the brightest but plenty bright enough, but the best thing is it’s nicely balanced on the head. I’ve had some brighter and even only a little heavier, but they bounce/move around on the head.

prawny

I was going to get one of these when I did some running in the dark, the lower light position should help with spotting the ground I’d have thought.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-id_8283426.html

Also you could go to a fancy dress party as Tony Stark.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Be careful, running like that, you may find yourself getting light-headed

carlos
    Free Member

Mrs Carlos and a couple others in her running group use the Decathlon KALENJI run light. Its on a chest harness and you look like Iron Man/Women with it on and also has a flashing rear light built in. She tried a head mounted torcj but didn’t get on with it

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-id_8283426.html

Carlos

edit – beaten to it by Prawny

irelanst
    Free Member

I use a Lenser SEO 5 LED, works OK for gentle offroad/towpath type stuff at a steady pace (around 7:30-8:00 min/mile pace), a bit lacking in output for full on threshold type runs.

rocketman
    Free Member

That chest harness light looks insane I’m going to get one for everyday use 🙂

Many thanks for the suggestions

Andy_K

We have a load of Led lenser H7Rs at the running club, about 80or 90 lumens I think, and I’d say they were only just suitable for off road running on really dark trails. I’d be making sure you had at least 120-150 lumens.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I run with my Dog at night and found one of these to be really good. Takes 3x aaa. Has a very powerful spot beem just like most similar things from china. It just slides on a cap, adds a bit of weight but the light is way more powerful than many branded things for 5x the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400lumens-CREE-Q5-LED-Hiking-Fishing-Cap-Hat-Head-Light-Headlamp-Headlight-/162170656139?hash=item25c21fd58b:g:hyYAAOSwIgNXsly3

nickc

The Alpkit Gamma is OK for unlit roads and smooth paths, but it gets quickly out of it’s depth on anything rougher.

The Tikka Reactiv or Nao (if you really need the light) are very good.

teacake
    Free Member

I haven’t read anything other than the title of this thread but recommend this: Black Diamond Sprinter

cp

The Alpkit Gamma is OK for unlit roads and smooth paths

eeek, I use mine on the Dark Peak paths and trails.

footflaps

Alpkit’s Viper is only £12.50 at the moment

Viper [2015]

I’ve got 5 of these now (two per rucksack and one in the shed) and a Gamma….

nickc

eeek, I use mine on the Dark Peak paths and trails.

you’ll die soon. obvs. 😆

S’ok for paths, I meant proper (off)road stuff where it’s just not enough light for when there’s no path, tussocky grass and so on. But tbf to it, that’s not what its for

jobro
    Free Member

Tikka RXP user here. Better than the Lenser I had previously (although it was an old version) Love the reactive brightness capability.Comfortable and stable.
    Used on some proper rough night time running on Exmoor and Dartmoor.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Silva trail runner 2 here. Excellent bit of kit. A bit more expensive, but currently reduced to £40 from Outdoor Gear.

MrPottatoHead

Petzl Tikka R+ here. Found the extra brightness made a big difference on completely unlit trails in the woods. If there was street lighting of any kind then it’s overkill. Rechargeable battery is nice but not really essential – unless you are running loads you could probably get through a winter with 1 or 2 sets of batteries in a cheaper set.

benp1

I’ve got 5 of these now (two per rucksack and one in the shed) and a Gamma….

Why two in each rucksack?

Stainypants

Costco do a double pack of 270 lumen head torches come with 6 duracell AAAs and 2 rear leds. Got them for about £8 last winter they are about £10 now.

Almost disposable, don’t bother carrying spare batteries just the spare torch

Used them last winter for night fell running no problem. It has two low power LEDs that light the foreground which is good enough on a trail then the high power is good for navigating.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

That Alpkit Viper is a generic Chinese design sold under multiple brand names. I’ve got an Avalanche or some such bullshit that’s exactly the same. It’s bright enough (better than cheapo supermarket junk but not CREE bright) with decent battery life.

You can buy a four pack of them from Amazon for £17.99 so about £4.50 each.

madweedavey
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Petzl Nao? I run on mountains, Glencoe etc, in the dark. More wondering about battery life and stability on the head.

spooked
    Free Member

LED Lenser H7r here.

Got it last year for Christmas. Amazing.

Use it for running, in the loft. Feeding the animals in the dark. Working on the car. All sorts.

Brilliant bit of kit. Charges quick. I’ve not noticed a drop off in battery life. And nice and bright.

scotroutes

Night running is a bir like night riding. Some of us like the experience of being out at night, others want to turn it into daytime. I’ve used a Lenser H7 and been happy with it.

footflaps

Why two in each rucksack?

Got the idea from a UIAGM Guide at PyB IIRC…

They’re so light and cheap that the extra weight of a head torch over spare batteries on their own is negligible. Also as a backup in case one does fail (also carry two compasses just in case I break one). But then we do often plan walks which will end in the dark, so know we’ll need working head torches (get to watch sunset from the fell tops, then walk down).

stever
    Free Member

Night running is a bir like night riding. Some of us like the experience of being out at night, others want to turn it into daytime.

You’re right of course and like biking it depends who you’re running with. I used to be perfectly happy with the Alpkit Gamma (90 lumen?) on regular (not too techy) trails. I find my eyes straining a bit these days and hate the idea of turning an ankle *again*, wrecking my season. Currently on a generic Chinese 12 quid Cree that’s super bright but a bit heavy after an hour or so. Less bright and lighter next…

mogrim

They’re so light and cheap that the extra weight of a head torch over spare batteries on their own is negligible. Also as a backup in case one does fail (also carry two compasses just in case I break one).

Not to mention trying to change batteries on a head torch in the pitch black is a nightmare, but if you have a cheap backup it’s not an issue (you can either change the batteries or run with it, your choice).

BadlyWiredDog

The top of the range Silva lights are brilliant if you’re running on rough ground, they mix a spot and a wider beam so you get a big pool of light, but not at the expense of reach. I’ve found spottier beams a bit disconcerting for running, they seem to leave you feeling slightly off balance.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Petzl Nao? I run on mountains, Glencoe etc, in the dark. More wondering about battery life and stability on the head.

I have had one since last winter. Brilliant torch, especially as I got it for £75!

Although physical weight terms it is heavy compared to some, it feels very light and balanced in use. I use it for running on the local moors etc and it never bounces, even on fast downhills. It comes with an additional over the top of the head strap, which I have never used.

The clever variable output really does work, plus you can play around with all the settings for brightness etc on your PC. You very rarely ever use the full 500 whatever lumens, it dims to what you need. I’ve never used mine until its died, but I reckon you could get at least 3hrs on full (as above that is with the sensor deciding how much light you need) it really only ever goes to full power when you are searching in to the distance to see where a trail goes.

Very good bit of kit.

rocketman
    Free Member

I got one of the Decathlon lights at the weekend https://www.decathlon.co.uk/run-light-id_8283426.html mainly because I’m not fond of headgear

It’s actually pretty good.

The harness is adjustable and stretches in all directions and although 200g sounds a lot it’s completely unobtrusive. The light is great for running on unlit lanes. It’s not like a bike light it’s basically a broad spread with some penetration and picks out obstacles such as the council’s precision road repairs with ease. I used it on the lowest setting and it was fine.

The battery unit is at the back and has three red LEDs for visibility and charge status. Charges via USB. Not bad at all

zippykona

I’ve got loads of lights already. Has anyone attached a joystick to a baseball cap or backpack shoulder strap?

Spin
    Free Member

Alpkit Viper. Cheap, reliable and plenty bright. Used mine for long night runs on rough terrain and never wanted for more.

isitafox
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the Alpkit Gamma is ideal, my wife uses one and loves hers. Battery life is also pretty good and it’s cheap.

Spin
    Free Member

I tried a Gamma and didn’t find it quite bright enough for running.

andrewh
    Free Member

Using an Exposure Verso, many running friends have been impressed and asked what it was, seems Exposure not as well known on the running scene.
    Not cheap but excellent in every other respect.

CountZero

I’ve got loads of lights already. Has anyone attached a joystick to a baseball cap or backpack shoulder strap?

You can get neoprene headbands with a bit sewn on the side to slide a flashlight into, Niteize did them for using with a Minimaglite, but such things would work perfectly with the little TrustFire R5-A3 torches I usually recommend, with 230 lumens max they’re perfectly good enough for using on my bike handlebars and on my crash hat, using Twofish Lockblocks.
    This little flashlight:
    http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062#.WAVSZ-t4WK0
    £9.70 with free postage, I use 14500 Li-ion rechargeables, 3.7v give brighter light.
    Headband:
    http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/574927/Trailite-headband-for-Mag-Lite-Torch-accessories-Black

CountZero

Fenix do a headband, but it’s more expensive:
    http://myfenix.co.uk/ortec-industrial-head-band-torch-mount
    This headtorch ought to be bright enough at 350 lumens:
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/12636-Fenix-HP05.html
    If that isn’t enough, 900 ought to do it:
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/12634-Fenix-HP30.html

breadcrumb

I’ve got the Alpkit Muon, good light output and very light, 134 lumens & 64g.

Takes a single AA battery.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Head torch for running?’ is closed to new replies.