Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Head supershape skis?
  • sam_underhill

I’ve got some of the early supershape magnum skis. Absolutely fab piste skis, but they are getting towards the end of their life and a bit of extra width wouldn’t hurt for off piste ventures.
    I fancy some of the new supershape magnums, but as they have a rocker should go a touch longer? Currently skiing the older ones in a 163 (I’m 170 tall) which works well. Thinking I might take the 170 magnums for a bit of extra speed stability and the rocker will stop them feeling too long in the bumps and short turns.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nordica NRGy 100

Thank me later.

footflaps

Nordica NRGy 100

Thank me later.

I bought the NRGy 90 based on CF’s recommendation.

Brilliant skis and good value, £320 with bindings.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

defo time for a snowboard

legend
    Free Member

Nordic Soulrider

Thank me later.

(To be semi-useful, yes having a rocker shortens the running length of the ski in certain conditions. iirc my Soulriders are 175(ish) and I’m about 175cm)

sam_underhill

Nordicas look interesting, but I really like the power in the supershapes and it’s a known quantity for me.
    Legend – that was my thinking re: rocker.

wallop

I’ve got some Head skis – Pure Joy. Made with graphene, super light and super awesome!

Steve77
    Free Member

If the new ones are wider, and you go a size larger, make sure their radius isn’t increasing too much, as that will make them feel quite different.

big_scot_nanny

Would anyone mind if I throw in another question?

Been skiing on Volkl RTM84s for the past 5 seasons – generally really like them – great for bashing through any kind of crud and generally good on and off piste. 2 issues:
    1) on piste, when its hardpack steep and fast, they do tend to judder quite badly when fully pressure-loaded e.g. at end of turn/transition to next turn
    2) in powder, then tails are not that easy to get around, not too keen on releasing.

is it possible to get one ski that will address those issues? I fear by their very nature the issues may demand 2 sets of skis (which i really can’t be arsed with!)

ta!

sam_underhill

Radius…. Good point. Fundamentally buying a wider ski I’m expecting them to be a bit different. The theory is that in the same range they should have similar characteristics.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I bought the nrg100 hoping they would be the one ski quiver. They are great, but not at everything obviously. I have since bought a pair of movement piste skis second hand and I think that is the answer. I slide the bindings off to put them in the ski bag. Travel with three pairs in one bag and never got cought out with check in. Driving out for Easter so no prob taking a few pairs. Saying that, I was just chatting with my nephew, we have 11 pairs of skis to service before we go!

Edukator
    Free Member

Are you carving, big-scot-nanny, or throwing the skis sideways? Trying to go sideways rather than allowing the ski to flow round would explain both issues.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Last month I spent the first day on piste on some lovely light new Head carvers but then it dumped and they gave me some White Doctor All mountain skis. I was a bit apprehensive as to how I would find them, but I found them very easy on piste and obviously better in the powder. I’m very inexperienced off piste, so can’t comment on powder skis, but all I’d say was I was very surprised as to how straightforward it was to move from piste skis to all mountain.

oliverracing

I’m just under 6ft and have some 2016 Magnums in 177. Crazy fast and stable at speeds I didn’t think possible of skis. They probably are a tad long for me but they are seriously awesome and far far better than anything else I’ve tried (Doberman Spitfire Ti, ?Blizzard Quattro and few other fast piste skis)

I’d say I’m a moderately fast piste skier (and do love a proper fast blast when it’s quiet) but I’ve also used them in moderate powder and while they are not quite up with proper powder skis they surprised me just how well the coped!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Head supershape skis?’ is closed to new replies.