Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Having it out with your boss.. I have to leave this joint!
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

OK, the guy has commandments from above to sort whatever to fit whatever targetzzzzz. From a hugely profit making company who’s highest held cough cough virtues are “respect” “trust” “fairness” and the other one “the american way” maybe? I can do with it no more. Thanks for listening! anyone got a job for a fairly smart, fairly talented, nice hardworking first degree/MA previously arty dude just holler.. North Wales.

ps.. This is all theoretical on me stomping into an office tomorrow afternoon. I might have calmed down by then..

yossarian
    Free Member

I need someone to rest my feet on, possible progression to tea making and a bit of filing. Any good?

Kevevs
    Free Member

no, there are people in my workplace that choose to progress to that echelon of corporate suck ass. i’m the fly pissed off at watching it all whilst still stuck in the room.. but having a go at your boss about the structure of the room is like trying to bang your dumbass boss’s head into another room just to see the possibilities. Impossible.

cynic-al
    Free Member

After 7 years working for assholes, I have a new job working for decent folk…66% salary drop but a lot happier.

surfer
    Free Member

I cant really understand what you are saying. For that reason I am out.

Kevevs
    Free Member

well I’m talking shite but cynic-al gets it. Good on you mate! I want that happy balance. but it IS about the money

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s as much about you as it is about them. That’s a good thing. I make a point of never employing people who tell me at interview that they’ve had people they couldn’t work with in the past. If you can’t adapt then leave and find somewhere you can

Kevevs
    Free Member

My team buddies will give you all the references you need dude!.. I am absolutely certain it is all about me. I’m just too **** good for corporate bullshit 😀 and anyway yossarian I was a hoho happy clappy type at interview, that’s why I got the job… but the job changed, and that’s why I don’t even pretend to clap no more.. I’m just having a little cathartic rant into nowhere! 😀

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I know exactly what you’re going through mate!
    had a a few jobs in the past and fairly happy at all of them.
    I now work for a very successful global company that preaches one thing but goes about things a totally different way! Management are so tied up with pleasing the layers above them that they’ve lost touch with reality.
    You’re not alone 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

wow! that’s so uplifting! thanks for that Zeesaffa! 😀 got any like.. tips on just changing my reality to another one?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I hope your communication skills are better at work.

I have no idea what you are on about.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m just wibbling, so don’t worry winston. anyway, I should go to sleep now, to get some zzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s before work! this thread can carry on wibbling….

mrmoofo

American companies do seem to have issues . The corporate management is normally well looked after and KPI obsessed. Lower down the rungs, you become just “canon fodder” – even in quite well paid / senior jobs.

Things need to be done – and “now”. Often , there is very little listening to the customer, or the people delivering the results – just ego/ career lead business ethics.

After 25 years with such a comapny, I am very glad to be out. Fighting , just to defend yourself everyday, is not a way toward life work balance.

Funnily enough, the organsiation also thought it was great employer.

freddyg
    Free Member

Interesting Mrmofo… Does that employer also have a link to a primary color (sic) ?

If so, then I’m there now – 3 years in. 3 of the most stressful years of my (25 year) working life so far.

hammerite
    Free Member

I had pretty much enough of it all last month. Went home spoke to the OH about how much I couldn’t stand it any more (to the point of feeling like I may need to visit a Dr) and the same evening wrote my resignation letter.

Went in the following day, requested some time with the boss and did the deed. Felt great ever since! Technically I should be finishing next week, but I was given the “how valuable you are” speech and they’ve asked me to work for as long as I want until I get a new job elsewhere. They’ll let me go at short notice if I need – it’s all a bit weird really. Everyone has been thoroughly nice to me since though, not sure how long it’ll last, but at least I feel like I’m in charge of the situation.

I have a plan of action involving having the summer off, so sitting it out for a month or two, getting paid but with less pressure suits me well.

Northwind

I went back to a comparatively low paid position this year, in order to escape from ****s. My bank balance has suffered but otherwise I’m not within a million miles of regretting it. Life’s too short.

samuri
    Free Member

Not my boss but there’s a team here who have had a new boss given to them. This guy was an external applicant and has what I’d call in interesting management technique.

For a start he has daily telling off sessions out side the offices so he takes the entire team outside, and then pretty much has a go at them all.

The next unusual thing he’s done is mandate weekly team meetings, after work, at the pub.

He’s got an extremely aggressive and in your face style of confrontation which I gather isn’t going down too well with the guys he’s managing (they’ve had years of taking it very easy) and from what I’ve seen, he gets very animated, very quickly and gegins shouting and waving his arms around the place. He’s also completely invisible on the internet from a business perspective but highly visible from his extra-curricular activities.

Since I’m not currently directly affected by his output, I’m really enjoying the show 😉

jekkyl

Having it out with your boss.. I have to leave this joint!

yeah but don’t put too much weed in it.

hammerite
    Free Member

I used to go through the thoughts of “it’s me, I’m useless” etc….. but then I remembered that there were 4 of us doing the same job (in a new team), I’ve outlasted all of them and they haven’t been replaced.

Trekster

I’m only 3yrs off retirement but could just stay at home now I am so ppppd off!

haskear
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure but isn’t the “American way” simply to sweep things under the carpet, like in the Mary Poppins inspired Simpsons episode?

unklehomered
    Free Member

‘Virtues’? Good Lord … 🙄

I used to have the ‘values’ “Imagine, Solve, Lead, Build” – I got marked down for Values in my end year appraisal for pointing out these were verbs and it made no sense and if all they mean is do your job properly they should say that and spend less money having struggling drama students come round to explain the ‘values’ to me through the medium of mime (sadly NOT a joke, it really happened).

hels
    Free Member

I worked with a woman who punched her boss (at her last job) in the canteen, was a council job in the west of Scotland I think. Not sure how she got a reference for her next job !

I got so annoyed at work once I walked out and sat in the pub all afternoon getting quietly drunk. Went in the next morning to deal with all the consequences, turns out nobody really noticed, they just assumed I was at a long meeting off site. Big lesson for hels there.

JoeG
    Free Member

I got so annoyed at work once I walked out and sat in the pub all afternoon getting quietly drunk. Went in the next morning to deal with all the consequences, turns out nobody really noticed, they just assumed I was at a long meeting off site. Big lesson for hels there.

😆 YJCMTSU!!!

longmover
    Free Member

My boss told me recently that I was a crap engineer which shows how much he knows about the skills of his team as I am not an engineer at all. I really need to leave that place.

deserter
    Free Member

I quit today, it was great, I have to say its the worst job I’ve had in my 20 years of work, really looking forward to my next job, I’ve always negotiated with my feet tbh and don’t hang around too long if I don’t like a job

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Having it out with your boss.. I have to leave this joint!’ is closed to new replies.