Home Forums Bike Forum Have we done the £1129 dropper post yet?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Have we done the £1129 dropper post yet?
  • bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

I’d rather they sorted out the common sticky bushing issue which makes the return slow or non-existent.

Definitely!

Fugly. Saw this a while ago and felt sure that being a prototype the finished product would be much easier on the eye. Nope.

Crazy price. Dropper posts are a component where paying more often doesn’t result in a better product. Not sure why they’re making a big deal out of it being faster than AXS? Old Maguras had a delay, AXS doesn’t.

jkomo

Well you can **** that sky high.

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

No one has mentioned Silverfish yet. Prices usually go through the roof when they get involved

bikesandboots

Makes me wonder whether Shimano have a wireless rear mech with a delayed launch?

End of this year according to rumours

Don’t remember which page but a few months ago here https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/2020-MTB-Tech-rumors-and-innovation,10797

kelvin

It’s not a real price though, is it. Black ones will be sold to the bike brands for a fraction of the price, and another set up step will be removed from their assembly lines.

somafunk

As someone who had a great dislike for cables on my bike (hence riding singlespeed till I needed gears/motor) I could have easily convinced myself that I needed this after 4 or 5 beers on a Friday night, but waking up with a £1000 hangover would have really hurt

sirromj

That’s pretty much £1k more than I’m willing to spend on a dropper post.

I don’t currently have a working dropper post.

Not sure if the old mechanical E13 dropper I have actually functions, and the lever is in pieces scattered amongst random tins and pots in my shed.

brads
    Free Member

Prices will always drop.  Have to say I love my wireless dropper (axs) and if folk are happy to pay the cash when the tech is introduced it only benefits others when the prices fall as take up increases.

monkeyboyjc

I think Fox needs to explain the £&€ difference to the $ price pretty quickly – you can get a flight to the US and buy one there for the difference in cost…

tomhoward

You can import one yourself for significantly less than the cost of UK RRP

I reckon you’d get change from £850 which, given how much Cane Creek charge for a few short welded Ti tubes (and sell plenty), doesn’t seem all that bad

woodster

Of course it will get cheaper, but pegging an RRP at over 1100 quid means that before you know it the reviews will be praising the bargain £699 Marzocchi version for being a great affordable option.

ampthill

Is only for sale because of the UCI rules on race bikes needing to use components that anyone can buy?

ayjaydoubleyou

Is only for sale because of the UCI rules on race bikes needing to use components that anyone can buy?

Which rule is that – does it apply to mtb? a lot of the tech rules do not. (thank god, or we’d all still be racing diamond framed hard tails). Took at least 3 years for Pitcock’s Toyko Olympic suspension to become for sale, there’s a downhill version of Rockshox flight attendant thats been in use for months, Richie Rude has been riding a full carbon “finished looking” downhill bike for nearly a year that is unavailable to buy.

And if it does apply, who has actually raced it so far? It’s fairly un-subtle with that chunky collar, there’s no way anyone at the sharp end of XC or Enduro is riding that unnoticed.

argee

Having 1200 quid worth of kit that someone can take off your bike with just an allen key sounds quite scary for me!

ayjaydoubleyou

Having 1200 quid worth of kit that someone can take off your bike with just an allen key sounds quite scary for me!

just wait until you find out about quick release axles (and how much carbon wheels can cost)

b33k34

8000 activations before servicing.  Anyone have *any* idea how many times you adjust your seat post on a typical ride?  There were c40 segments on my last ride.  a lot of those had a couple of up/downs within them.  plus any time I stop/dismount.  I’d be amazed if it wasn’t 200+ per ride – so it’s at least an annual service.  ‘not user servicable’ remains the biggest issue with Fox posts for me – when you can often buy a new Brand X post for the price of getting a Fox post serviced.

tomhoward

if that were the case, why go to all the trouble of a product launch. Hope don’t advertise their track bike, but you can still buy it if you have £70k burning a hole in your pocket

just wait until you find out about quick release axles (and how much carbon wheels can cost)

what can’t be taken off a bike with an Allen key? BB? Brake rotors?

bikesandboots

Anyone have *any* idea how many times you adjust your seat post on a typical ride?

Maybe the app will give you a count? The AXS derailleur will show you at least how much you’re using each gear.

not user servicable’ remains the biggest issue with Fox posts for me

One reason I’m replacing the Fox post immediately. The 2025 one is user serviceable.

argee

I can put the lock through the wheel when i lock the bike up, they might get the front wheel, but that’s not got a QR axle, can’t remember the last time i had QR axles instead of the 8mm bolt thru’s?

martinhutch

The fact it can now nag you about the usual ridiculously short Fox service intervals is hilarious. More likely the app will be ponying up your data to Fox so the buggers can deny you a warranty because you didn’t want to send it off for service more than once a year.

monkeyboyjc

I’d be interested in the battery post interface too – biggest issue with all types of AXS are the push pin battery contacts which are a pita to replace on the dropper. The AXS dropper Is just about home serviceable, but you need to know what your doing and have specific tools.

The amount of Axs droppers that have appeared on eBay over the last 18months that have the stanchion scratch led up to hell because the 600hr service interval was ignored has dramatically increased.

robertajobb

And a seperate bespoke charger ? FFS it’s 2024, make that either a USB-C or wireless (induction) like a phone.

Dickhaeds.

5lab
    Free Member

I can put the lock through the wheel when i lock the bike up, they might get the front wheel, but that’s not got a QR axle, can’t remember the last time i had QR axles instead of the 8mm bolt thru’s?

you can loop a lock through your saddle rails too you know. And who’s using 8mm bolt through?

bigrich

The clamp always comes loose on transfers.

kelvin

you can loop a lock through your saddle rails too you know.

Well, that’s the saddle secured… what about the seatpost?

vlad_the_invader

Re the seat post theft scenario, I wonder whether you could report such a theft to Fox and they, somehow, make it impossible to pair it a new lever???

(Assuming an opportunistic rather than knowledgeable thief just stole the post and didn’t think to also steal the lever…)

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Why they put the battery on the back and not the front of the post out of harms way is beyond me, guarantee there’s an older frame that’ll have rear tyre connecting with it when bottomed out, not that you’d put it on old bike but you never know there’s always one.

funkmasterp

I’ll stick to a nice cheap cable operated one thanks.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Is that £1129 RRP inclusive of the lever, and also a battery?

If not that’s an extra £329 or so on top of the seatpost price??!

tomhoward

Is that £1129 RRP inclusive of the lever, and also a battery

Yes, and a charger

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.