Home Forums Bike Forum Have we done the £1129 dropper post yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Have we done the £1129 dropper post yet?
    woodster

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/fox-new-transfer-neo-wireless-dropper-post-claims-20x-faster-activation-than-a-reverb-axs-and-haptic-lever-feel-but-its-silly-money-440717

You can now buy a dropper post for the same money as an entire One Scandal with an upgrade to a dropper post (albeit with a disgusting cable)

Thanks Fox!

dirkpitt74

Yeah that’s just nuts!

Waiting until they bring the non-kashima version out……

finbar
    Free Member

Awesome. Another two years and there’ll be no cable routing for droppers in frames anymore so we’ll be forced into adopting these.

chestrockwell

It does seem a tad extreme, even for Fox!

monkeyboyjc

Now I love a wireless dropper, but I can’t see what advantages having fox written on the side will have over the competition at (in some cases) less than half the cost.

I can see the current crop of 12 or 14k “superbikes” quickly becoming 20k in the next couple of years…

racefaceec90

well i will buy 7 right off the bat please (i can use them instead of frozen sausages for my enemies lawns :-D

woodster

It’s also ugly, which surely doesn’t suit the boutique bicycles whose owners it’s surely aimed at. Looks like a seatpost wearing an ankle tag.

dirkpitt74

@finbar
    Awesome. Another two years and there’ll be no cable routing for droppers in frames anymore so we’ll be forced into adopting these.

The new Santa Cruz frames have no gear routing on the higher end ones so it’s probably not even that far away……

citizenlee
    Free Member

Silly money, but if I was building a bike and cash was no object then I’d find it hard to say no.

hooli

Its a no from me, that’s fugly and expensive. It will look even worse if you are tall and need to raise it in the frame.

lunge

I still think a post that goes up and down at the press of a button would be a good thing. Give it that feature and I’ll look at the price again.

5lab
    Free Member

if it dropped without sitting on it (why isn’t this common?) it could be worth more than other posts.

as it is I’ll stick to my oneup

tomhoward

Buy it in the states, where it’s only $859, so £650?

citizenlee
    Free Member

Its a no from me, that’s fugly and expensive. It will look even worse if you are tall and need to raise it in the frame.

With matching Kahhima forks on an otherwise fully blacked out (or single colour scheme) bike I reckon it would look decent.

I’m dreaming though. My TransX goes up and down efficiently enough for me :D

tomhoward

With matching Kashima forks

lol, they can barely get two legs of the same fork colour matching, never mind two products

woodster

I still think a post that goes up and down at the press of a button would be a good thing. Give it that feature and I’ll look at the price again.

With a Doubletap style half press for going halfway and full press for all the way down/up.

I still wouldn’t pay anything like 4  figures though.

desperatebicycle

Hardly “ugly”, with a tiny little battery box!

…but has the black anodizing scratched off from moving it up and down here? ^^  Wouldn’t be happy about that on such a pricy thing.

the other thing – imagine how much a replacement lever will be when the cable ones are such mental money for what they are! £300?

tomhoward

the other thing – imagine how much a replacement lever will be when the cable ones are such mental money for what they are! £300?

£229

Folk with 15 year old frames will be happy they are at the cutting edge again, not having dropper routing.

desperatebicycle

£229

Bargain!

thols2

Buy it in the states, where it’s only $859, so £650?

I bought my first GravityDropper 20 years ago imported from the U.S. for $300. According to the online inflation counter, that’s worth $500 in today’s money. It was up there with suspension forks and disk brakes as the best money I’d ever spent. I still have a couple of old GravityDroppers on bikes in the back of the shed, they utterly awful compared to any modern dropper.

citizenlee
    Free Member

lol, they can barely get two legs of the same fork colour matching, never mind two products

Haha, yeah that’s true.

Best not to add any Hope bronze into the mix either! :D

ampthill

Is response time an issue?

I can see that developing your own wireless protocol can’t have been cheap. Then your making stuff on a small scale.

I wonder how long a cable takes to redoing respond?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Must be a halo product surely. Assume all the cheaper battery groupsets and droppers will appear over the next couple of years.

tomhoward

I assume the performance elite version (same, but no kashima), I assume will follow in a few months. will be more in line with AXS reverb pricing.

or the factory model won’t sell, and be discounted in a similar timeframe

jamiemcf

I’ve had my magura dropper since 2014. There is a delay but not that critical… Maybe if I was challenging for podiums I’d feel differently…

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

It’s a shame Ryanair don’t do flights to America, it could be cheaper to bring one back in your suitcase and enjoy a little holiday.

belugabob
    Free Member

Yeah that’s just nuts!

Only if you get them in the way of the 20x quicker mechanism…

hooli

Hardly “ugly”, with a tiny little battery box!

I beg to differ, that looks even worse than I’d pictured!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s a shame Ryanair don’t do flights to America, it could be cheaper to bring one back in your suitcase and enjoy a little holiday.

I knew someone who “paid” for a holiday in Whistler by buying a Yeti whilst he was out there. This was back when the exchange rate was $2:£1 but bikes and components were pretty much parity $:£.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Looks like a seatpost wearing an ankle tag.

High end kit isn’t just for dentists, drug dealers love a bit of bling too

Rubber_Buccaneer

The new Santa Cruz frames have no gear routing on the higher end ones so it’s probably not even that far away……

and a recent Specialized too.  Makes me wonder whether Shimano have a wireless rear mech with a delayed launch?  Or are the mainstream brands simply not bothered about Shimano at the top end of their ranges?

Blackflag
    Free Member

No one moaned about people moaning yet? Told us all we don’t have to buy it? That other posts are available?

STW is slipping.

jameso

only $859, so £650?

£650 for a dropper post is still in the realm of LOFL. But we all like choice, so what a time to be alive.

jameso

Makes me wonder whether Shimano have a wireless rear mech with a delayed launch?  Or are the mainstream brands simply not bothered about Shimano at the top end of their ranges?

The future is wireless, with me using zip ties to hold cable outers on my frame, like I have now

martinhutch

I’d rather they sorted out the common sticky bushing issue which makes the return slow or non-existent.

tomhoward

£650 for a dropper post is still in the realm of LOFL

cheaper than when AXS reverbs launched though (£700 iirc)

also, I reckon the us vs uk price will be explained by VAT & import duty, plus disti and seller margin, are fox selling direct in the US? Keep in mind the us price won’t include sales tax

bikesandboots

Even if I could afford it, I would be embarrassed to be seen with it on my bike.

I’m saying that as someone who runs a full rear mudhugger and hand guards.

SirHC

For £1129 I’d expect it to lower itself automatically as well.

jameso

£50 saved, bargain…

Excuse the sarcastic tone, it’s not helpful is it : ) It just falls into the ‘just because you can.. ‘ camp for me. But someone will, they always do, why not.

Northwind

That battery box is just awful. And obviously taller than a minimal collar as on the best conventional posts, not a good sign to be sacrificing the one thing dropper posts are actually for. It might be more understandable if Fox made the best droppers in the world but they never have. Or if they were interested in improving the basic product and fixing its (admittedly pretty minor) known issues rather than selling a new product by making it shiny but again, this is Fox we’re talking about, weaknesses are a selling point not a problem.

tomhoward

Sure, but reverbs are mostly marketed and sold to big bike companies not to actual end users, the AXS reverb’s pricing is mostly about making gucci complete builds look more expensive. Some people bought them as a standalone purchase but not many, because in the end it’s still a Reverb.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.