• This topic has 107 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Have we done that: sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics?
  • juan
    Free Member

Football, basketball, road racing, tennis, sailing and maybe handball.
    All these sports are far from being amateurial (spelling) and furthermore, already have events that represent their pinnacle.
    So which sport would you like to see out of the Olympics

nixie

All of them, none of them are really amateur any more!

wwaswas

Pretty much all the track and field athletes earn their livings through their sport.

We’d be left with Archery and Speed Walking if we had an ‘amateurs only’ rule.

BruceWee

Any sport where an Olympic gold is not considered the greatest achievement possible.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Anything that involves Horses.

druidh
    Free Member

Higher, farther, faster. Anything that requires “style” points is not a sport and so should not be at the Olympics.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Synchronised swimming.

I reckon Tug o War should replace it.

Peyote
    Free Member

Athletics, all of them!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Clearly any sport where the decision on who ‘wins’ relies on the arbitrary awarding of points by a panel of judges, rather than an actual measurable comparison between competitors (furthest/fastest/highest)

jota180
    Free Member

We’d be left with Archery and Speed Walking if we had an ‘amateurs only’ rule.

They’d walk a damn sight faster if the archers were allowed to target them
    You could set the walkers off mincing and give them 20 or 30 seconds head start

matttromans
    Free Member

In my book anything that involves a panel of judges awarding points for how well something is executed shouldn’t be an Olympic sport, far too subjective for me. So that’s show jumping, synchronised swimming and diving (imagine if diving was just, who could get from the diving board into the water the quickest!).

Spin
    Free Member

road racing

If you take the road race out you’ll need to lose the mountain biking too.

wwaswas

and the track cycling.

irc

Anything that requires “style” points is not a sport and so should not be at the Olympics.

+1

Then anything where equipment technology is a factor and expensive gear rules out level competition from many countries. Cycling, yachting, all the winter games, anything with horses. Get back to track and field, boxing, etc.

theotherjonv

show jumping doesn’t get style points, it’s who knocks down the least fences in the fastest time.

Horsey dancing is a different matter.

nbt

Higher, farther, faster. Anything that requires “style” points is not a sport and so should not be at the Olympics.

This. And things like “speed walking” seem to be a bit weird. if you want to go somewhere fast, run.

tracknicko
    Free Member

BruceWee – Member

Any sport where an Olympic gold is not considered the greatest achievement possible.

fair point that.

juan
    Free Member

If you take the road race out you’ll need to lose the mountain biking too

Don’t agree, as the biggest achievement in road cycling is winning the tour de France.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ll be first to say synchronised swimming, as despite the effort and training which undoudtedly has to be put in, it is no different to say ballroom dancing IMO.

I think tennis, football, basketball too as they have been ‘pro’ too long and have their own more important events for the Olympics to be of any real value. IMO they are not really ‘in the spirit’ of The Games……if that still has any relevance in the highly commercial jamoboree it has been for a very long time!

EDIT – what Zulu said re style points is spot on but removing any assessment by judges would cause a problem with diving and gymnastics!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Replace all with Whinging, Moaning, Crying Foul play (cause the other guy was actually better), Forum Trolling and Strava racing (save a lot of time and money on stadiums and air fairs.

Also Selling sole to the highest bidder (sort of fishy game)

DezB
    Free Member

Is boxing the only sport in the Olympics that pros aren’t allowed to compete in? I wonder why they’re not. It’s weird.

sunnrider
    Free Member

They’d walk a damn sight faster if the archers were allowed to target them
    You could set the walkers off mincing and give them 20 or 30 seconds head start

Please clean the tea of my keyboard 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Then anything where equipment technology is a factor and expensive gear rules out level competition from many countries. Cycling, yachting, all the winter games, anything with horses.

You could still have those, just make the competitors use supplied kit

juan
    Free Member

I wonder why they’re not. It’s weird.

Well I am not sure pro boxing is about boxing anymore…

juan
    Free Member

ou could still have those, just make the competitors use supplied kit

Well for sure you won’t have pro any more 😉

Markie
    Free Member

Clearly any sport where the decision on who ‘wins’ relies on the arbitrary awarding of points by a panel of judges, rather than an actual measurable comparison between competitors (furthest/fastest/highest)

Agreed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Don’t agree, as the biggest achievement in road cycling is winning the tour de France. “

would never have guessed you were french.

jota180
    Free Member

Is boxing the only sport in the Olympics that pros aren’t allowed to compete in? I wonder why they’re not. It’s weird.

Probably because all the people that control the sport are pretty much gangsters [probably 🙂 ]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

BMX and mountain biking.

matttromans
    Free Member

theotherjonv – yes, that’s what I meant, horsey dancing!

juan
    Free Member

would never have guessed you were french

LOL but it is true :D, biggest cyclist event (after the BBB) look at the number of thread said compare to the giro or la vuelta

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Golf and football.

BruceWee

Going to go against everyone else and say that I do think that sports where points are awarded should be in the games.

Amateur boxing is a good Olympic sport yet the points allocation is just as subjective as Gymnastics, diving, etc.

wrecker
    Free Member

Clearly any sport where the decision on who ‘wins’ relies on the arbitrary awarding of points by a panel of judges

Absolutely. Removing this would certainly make the fight sports more interesting and more jean claude van damme like.

Shred
    Free Member

Baseball, Tennis, football from current Olympics.

Rugby 7s, Golf from the 2016 in Rio.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

sailing

joao3v16
    Free Member

Anything that involves Horses

This.

And football. Tennis. Road cycling. Mountain biking.

Agreed.

And anything that’s decided by a panel of judges – synchronised swimming, diving, figure skating … a proper Olympic sport should be measurable by something definitive like time, distance, height, weight etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Well I am not sure pro boxing is about boxing anymore…

Most of it still is (to the actual boxers anyway).. but what’s to stop a pro-boxer fighting in the Olympics to amateur rules? I’m pretty sure they’re not allowed.

juan
    Free Member

Nare dezb, they are just too crap. One boxing match every now and again, vs a whole day of constant fighting…

DezB
    Free Member

Sweeping generalisation there Juan! You’re thinking of the Kitschkos 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Have we done that: sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.