Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Have we done Oval chainrings yet?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve no idea whether they give you a real benefit, a position I maintain despite owning and liking one on my SS.

greenstix7 – Member
    It’s significant that the top athletes choose to use them

No, it’s not at all.

They go in for unproven stuff that feels good as much if not more than the rest of us

greenstix7
    Free Member

Mudshark – Because Shimano won’t allow it. It’s about money, why would Wiggins even bother with oval rings in the 1st place?

You’ll find a lot of pro team riders use oval rings on the mountain stages but just the inner, so not as visible.

colin9

It also depends on what you mean by ‘better’. Interesting discussion but when I’m riding my singlespeed I’m not generally worried about a 1-6% power gain, I’m just having an enjoyable ride!

Having said that I would be interested to test ride one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wiggo was but stopped using them and I don’t think went back to them did he? So not clear cut at all.

IIRC the squoval rings he was using he had to pay for himself as they’re made by a tiny company (pretty much 1 man and a mill!). And they didn’t even have shifting ramps. And I imagine shimano probably pay them a small fortune to use their kit so maybe words were had?

njee20
    Free Member

IIRC the squoval rings he was using he had to pay for himself as they’re made by a tiny company (pretty much 1 man and a mill!)

Didn’t he use Osymmetric, “squoval” is a Cervelo trade mark isn’t it? Seriously.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well some were using them and some weren’t so at some point Sky felt able to use them. Overall hard to draw conclusions either way as it a team is all using them then that could be just due to sponsorship too.

DanW
    Free Member

Didn’t he use Osymmetric

Yep, both Froome and Wiggins

osymetric is not oval is a twincam

So, technically, I think SKY have never used “oval” rings 🙂

The GB track team would be a better measure of marginal gains than the more commercial SKY perhaps…. but are oval allowed on the track in the first place and would the slight tensioning and untensioning actually reduce performance I wonder? EDIT: Doesn’t look like they are UCI legal for track

Pros generally don’t give a monkeys what they ride. So long as they are comfortable, nothing fails and their numbers are heading in the right directions most will ride anything. It is the other members of a team that care about this type of stuff by and large.

mudshark
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have though it possible to use without a tensioning device – which I imagine wouldn’t be used on a track bike?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I fancy trying ’em but they’re just to expensive to take the risk, I’d also worry about losing my chain when changing down. Didn’t Rotor used to let you try them “for free”? Can’t see it on their site now though.

DanW
    Free Member

Didn’t Rotor used to let you try them “for free”

Yes, it was basically “borrow a set of ring from the nearest LBS that stocks Rotor”. I could never find any MTB rings to try

I wouldn’t have though it possible to use without a tensioning device

People use them on their singlespeeds with hoizontal dropouts fine.There is a good video in Youtube somewhere showing that the chain tension barely changes through a crank revolution. Still, with the power they put down on the track I do agree that the slight change in tension may be undesirable.

rexated
    Free Member

Oval rings are rubbish. Stay away from them. Particularly if you race. And most particularly if you race in my category 😈

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did a long ride on a bike that happened to have rotor Q rings the other weekend. Can’t say I noticed any difference to normal chainrings.

I’d assume that the major benefit of having a lower gearing when not in the most powerful part of the pedal stroke is a reduction in fatigue rather than an increase in power. Find it can be harder to make the same power when there’s a lot of resistance and you have to push through the dead spots in the pedal stroke due to the different muscles involved. I’m tempted to do some experimenting on the TT bike.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I think I’d benefit, my pedalling is quite choppy, try pedalling down hill in a gear you’ve got no chance of “catching” and see how your legs react at the dead spots. I reckon I’m bloody terrible!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281442754074&alt=web

Some cheaper road ones there if anyone fancies….I’ll order some when I’m back from hols..

tehan
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    Marcin at Absoluteblack here.
    I found this topic as someone put my link here.

To explain few things.
    Oval rings do not generate more power. Or another words you do not produce more power with them. Technically speaking they do, but gain is small that most power meters have bigger reading error to find it out. Hence we say they don’t.

What they do however is:
    *They make you quicker over the course of a (let say) lap because they do not fatigue your muscles as much as round rings. That means you can keep same average power for longer. So you will be quicker on certain distance. Hence we sey they do not generate more power but you can go quicker. You simply keep same level of effort longer.
    * They hugely increase the grip when climbing. All my customers say very similar thing – power stroke is smoothened to the point where you feel more grip and your front wheel does not go up when climbing.
    * They fatigue your muscles less, so you can push bigger oval ratio than on the round. (I mean oval 32T has 34T biggest ratio and 30T smallest one). So you will ride a bit quicker as well due to bigger leverage. But you will not feel it like pedaling round 34T.

* Ovals do not overwork clutch mech. at all. On my website near the bottom you can see the short video:
    http://absoluteblack.cc/oval-104bcd-chainring.html
    * SS configuration do not require tensioner. Changes in tension are very minor. For those who understand arithmetic I will say that no matter how you cut our oval shape on half, the arc length stays the same. So it picks up same amount of chain in minor axis as in major axis. It behaves same as round shape in this regards.

There is a very interesting topic I started on MTBR. So for those who are interested have a look. There is many people already using my rings and they post their experience over there.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/oval-rings-unfair-advantage-singlespeed-932469-8.html

And lastly. I charge only 47gbp for the ring.. This is something which does not exist on the market, but will have best fit to it, as oval 32T ring has 30T smallest diameter and 34T biggest one. That is what most people are looking to use. It will fit best for someone who use now 28, 30 or 32T round ring.
    Our ring has also threaded 104BCD holes with 2mm offset, so it can clear 30T smallest diameter and give you better chainline. In addition it is very light.

We are quite similar to Rotor rings. OneKey ring has different clocking so it will be difficult to compare them as clocking is the most cruical thing to ovals. If you get it wrong they will work differently. OneKey is about 30deg different in clocking to Rotor or mine so it will feel different when pedaling.

Have a look on this mtbr topic so you will understand a lot more.

M

slowoldman

Well they were pretty much standard on Shimano equipped road bikes years ago (even cheap Exage groupsets – my Harry Hall 531C had them). Then they seemed to go out of fashion. I’ve no idea if they contribute anything, but if the rider things they do, well…

brant
    Free Member

I did a bit of experimenting with some Egg Rings (UK made oval rings) about 15yrs ago on a Cannondale Raven, when I was at mbr magazine.
    Worked really well in terms of controlling suspension bobbing. Didn’t work well in terms of shifting.
    Narrow/Wide and big-range rear cassettes have opened this up again, and it’s going to be cool to see if people adopt it. I’ll have to give one a try.

mrblobby
    Free Member

standard on Shimano equipped road bikes years ago

Biopace was very different, I think the orientation was all wrong.

Marcin at Absoluteblack here.

Thanks for that. Could we have a 34t too please 🙂

slowoldman

Biopace was very different, I think the orientation was all wrong.

That could explain a lot. Thanks.

nemesis
    Free Member

Biopace was at 90(ish) degrees to oval rings out there now. Shimano supposedly designed them considering momentum of the system (including leg weight) which apparently said that was the right way. Unfortunately their model was clearly all wrong and they were crap…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

As soon as AbsoluteBlack have a 34t 104 bcd ring available I’m in. Very interested to try these 8)

Marko

…bit of experimenting with some Egg Rings (UK made oval rings) about 15yrs ago…

Potted history of Oval rings from Chris Bell here:

EGG Rings

Marko

mrblobby
    Free Member

My wonky 32t AbsoluteBlack ring has arrived! Was a bit worried when the chainring bolts turned up without a chainring the other day, but turns out I’d missed a mail from Marcin telling me it was going to be delayed a few days. Looks a very nicely CNC’d bit of kit. Shall pop it on, give it a bit of a thrashing, and report back soon.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

still waiting for the 34t to become available, even checked their site today.

awaiting a full detailed report mrblobby.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I like it I will be badgering him for a 34t. Notice the label on the pack does have a 32t and a 34t checkbox so the intention is obviously there to make some 34t.

Looks nice… 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Interested in hearing about these too.

We really need a turbo/PM/HR comparison 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just spotted these pedals that slide on their spindles too. Quite interesting in a similar way to oval rings in trying to make more efficient use of the power you have. Probably of interest to the STW dodgy knee brigade too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Now we just need

and tin foil headwear

gatsby
    Free Member

I have Rotor Q Rings on my TT bike, can’t say I can feel much difference, but if they cause less fatigue when riding for long periods at steady cadence, then the benefits will be impossible to quantify.

When you turn up at time trials, a large proportion (probably most) of the riders have Q Rings, O Rings or a variation. I know TTers are a bit sheep-like in their mentality (if Bottril wore a thong on the outside of his skinsuit, you can guarantee there would be dozens of them appearing at club 10s!) but they’re also very diligent number crunchers and most use power meters.

So this would suggest to me that there’s a benefit, although whether that would translate to mountain biking where cadence is so inconsistent, I would be quite doubtful.

G

mrblobby
    Free Member

but they’re also very diligent number crunchers and most use power meters.

They also have a good feel for what it’s like to ride at a certain power for a long period of time on specific courses, so can usually do a pretty good job of evaluating any changes and have loads of data for comparison.

although whether that would translate to mountain biking where cadence is so inconsistent, I would be quite doubtful.

I reckon it may actually be quite beneficial. For me cadence is typically lower when needing to generate lots of power on a mtb, so more resistance and longer in the “dead spot”. Think the lower gearing through the dead spot would really help, especially when out of the saddle when the differential between the dead spot and power part of the stroke is much bigger.

Northwind

So…. I’ve got a 32T on the hardtail which with the 11-36 cassette is, realistically, barely high and low enough, but more or less OK and I’m not adding a 42T on this bike. So, if I was to go with an oval ring, what would be the closest in overall effect to the 32T I have? Another 32T? Or is it still the case that you go up a size?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

32T oval ring will suit best someone who uses 28, 30 or 32T chainring currently. While pedaling, you will feel quite similar effort to the one riding round 30T ring (as the smallest diameter of the oval is that size), but you will gain the speed similar to riding 32/34T chainring.

above is from absoluteblacks website

i seee spiderless sram have slipped to 5th november

Northwind

Seems a bit contradictory that (tells me I should get a 32T but that it’ll feel like a 30T) , which is why I was wondering about other opinions. 32T seems like the best option- since it’ll give the same range but feel easier pedalling- but not sure.

jameso

whether that would translate to mountain biking where cadence is so inconsistent, I would be quite doubtful.

ime that’s exactly where I find them most beneficial, on a SS MTB. I’ve used them on a geared MTB and as soon as I can change gear to adjust cadence etc I feel there’s less benefit. It may be there, I just don’t notice the change so much as the SS when I’m between ~20 RPM at max output and spinning pretty quick at almost no torque. That’s where the variation in effective ring size really seems to have an advantage.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Im a huge fan of them, and I have some data I can sustain a higher 5min power with them than without- which is useful for Cross.. which I do, now this is just anecdotal I admit and the shifting on double set up is less crisp than Praxis/shimano. I do run 1×11 QCXC1 on my CX bikes and I find smooth application of power on muddy climbs is good, I’ll be riding them next MTB season in a 1×11 application too.
    Bruce

gatsby
    Free Member

I reckon it may actually be quite beneficial. For me cadence is typically lower when needing to generate lots of power on a mtb, so more resistance and longer in the “dead spot”. Think the lower gearing through the dead spot would really help, especially when out of the saddle when the differential between the dead spot and power part of the stroke is much bigger.

It’s worth a try, but I think you’ll find it impossible to quantify. You can’t even trust timed reps of climbs on an MTB as you’re never riding exactly the same line/surface twice.

I recently did a testing session with a coach and a Wattbike. Turns out I have almost perfect pedal technique and equal l/r balance. So I’m thinking the benefits would be less for me than for a “masher”.

G

mrblobby
    Free Member

I recently did a testing session with a coach and a Wattbike. Turns out I have almost perfect pedal technique and equal l/r balance. So I’m thinking the benefits would be less for me than for a “masher”.

I’ll probably get on ok then 🙂

Though even with perfect technique you won’t have a constant power through a revolution.

gatsby
    Free Member

Very true, my biggest concern is that using Qs might compromise my pedaling technique on round chain rings. And I’m not about to upgrade all my bikes to ovals!

G

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m not sure it would. Going back to Bottril, in his blog he said the biggest advantage he felt was in keeping the Q rings for racing but training on normal rings. So i don’t think it’s a problem switching between them. I can’t actually feel any difference in the pedalling stroke between them.

lovewookie

I acquired some SR ovaltech rings for my winter hack. Not ridden any distance, but in normal configuration it felt very odd indeed. Massive increase in leg speed further in the power stroke.

Think I’m going to rotate them, think it was either one or two bolts anticlockwise (its 5 bolt pattern) to see if I can get them more small diameter at the dead spot, maybe that’ll be better.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Have we done Oval chainrings yet?’ is closed to new replies.