Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • I love my Five because…But….
  • righog
    Free Member

Because, it is always there, just works, is really really easy to service and rides great.

But…I can see that things have moved on, my mates on the SJ Evo’s, Remedy’s and slash’s just fly away from me on the up’s but more importantly the downs.

I have a hankering for carbon, so what is about in the 140-150 mm trial bike sector ? ( no 29 ers )

If possible under £4000

bikeneil
    Free Member

A plastic bike ain’t going to make you ride any better.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have you given any consideration to the possibility that it could be……..

You?

Rik
    Free Member

But…I can see that things have moved on, my mates on the SJ Evo’s, Remedy’s and slash’s just fly away from me on the up’s but more importantly the downs.

No……I think that’s just you

sime46
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat exactly. Love my five but feel the world moved on. I’m going towards a carbon Bronson.

righog
    Free Member

bikeneil and esselgruntfuttock…..Both Five owners by any chance…do you fear change.

I know How shite I am on bike thanks,

FWIW I do love the Five and intend to keep it, I tried a carbon bike a while back it a it rode very differently from all the Alu bikes I have ridden, I it would be great to have a change.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Nope. I ride a solaris. Just saying don’t look at the bike as a cause of not being faster.

bearnecessities

I know How shite I am on bike thanks

Bet I’m worse 😀

Wouldn’t stop me spaffing thousands on a carbon SC & a Dogma if I could!

righog
    Free Member

Bet I’m worse

Bear out of all the people who post on here I would like to ride with you the most
    ( I know you have said that you do not ride a lot now) but if you are ever near Newcastle give me a shout.

Edited due to beer !

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you fear change

Embrace change I say
    FWIW £4000 makes you the same as your mates
    £6000 and you will be better

HTH

iffoverload
    Free Member

check out the devinci dixon

bearnecessities

I do have to cart my arse up to Newcastle on occasion, so I will probably throw the HT in the boot and take you up on that offer next time.

Anyhow, onto the op, it’s got to be the Bronson Danny Mc was riding in his latest video; it will make you instantly awesome!

(I only want a dogma from watching Martin Ashton’s RBP vid, after all 😀 )

righog
    Free Member

Junkyard….Yes that helps…it’s hard, but it helps.

ricky1
    Free Member

My mate says the same thing,he has a five but wants a more expensive bike,but where does it stop??

billysugger
    Free Member

Listen to the right music pre/mid ride,put some effort in,smoke the guys on plastic bikes,save your cash,feel good.

Or

Buy one,you’ll be a superstar on it.

righog
    Free Member

My mate says the same thing,he has a five but wants a more expensive bike,but where does it stop??

Interesting..The Five was well up there cost wise though

I have had it four years now and I have had my monies worth.

rickon
    Free Member

The bike isn’t the reason your mates are faster than you, it may feel like the quick way to more speed is to spend money. But you know deep down, its not.

Ride with some different people, ride some new trails, get a skills course.

I’ve ridden with some proper fast boys that ride Fives. I never once thought, “Man, if I was riding a Trek or a Specialized I’d have them”.

righog
    Free Member

rickon for goodness sake can you not see that I want to get a new bike

Is that so very wrong ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Both Five owners by any chance…do you fear change.

3 Things.
    My (26″) 5 is a better bike than I’ll ever be a rider.
    Don’t feel the need for change (cos of the above)
    It cost 3.8K as a one off & can’t afford that again.

If you feel you have to spend £X.XXXXX’s just to keep up with your mates then crack on kid.

righog
    Free Member

Kid, Kid, at 50 what kind of world is this ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you are enjoying riding your five then why does it matter if mates are slower or faster?

If you are bored of the five and want something shiny and new then go buy something. Don’t expect it to make you any quicker though (unless it’s a 29er 🙂 )

righog
    Free Member

SORRY I ASKED THE WRONG QUESTION,

Thank you MrBlobby you hit the nail on he head

If you are bored of the five and want something shiny and new then go buy something. Don’t expect it to make you any quicker though.

I want something shiny and new…Just what, that is the question !

( I am keeping the FIVE as I love it )

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat exactly. Love my five but feel the world moved on. I’m going towards a carbon Bronson.

The frame material and 1lb of weight isn’t going to make you much faster, what will is the geometry and the new 650b Five is miles ahead of the Bronson in that regard.

Apart from the new Nomad, Santa Cruz’s are disgustingly conservative in their geometry.

righog
    Free Member

Tom Agree that 1lb wont make a difference, but I am not convinced the frame material wont make a difference, After riding a few carbon bikes they seem more direct..

You all know I still love my five …right ?
    cause I do.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See, you led us up the garden path with…

You didn’t say you just fancied a fancy bike. You implied otherwise.

Spend on ‘Kid’.

righog
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock … Fancy a ride ? up north you old goat 🙂

I’ ll bring the Five

I’ll buy the beer at the end

Edit: so what bike do you think i should buy ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom Agree that 1lb wont make a difference, but I am not convinced the frame material wont make a difference, After riding a few carbon bikes they seem more direct..

Some lateral compliance is good.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock … Fancy a ride ? up north you old goat

I’ ll bring the Five

I’ll buy the beer at the end

Edit: so what bike do you think i should buy ?

Yes.
    Good,
    Even better!
    No Idea apart from a 27’5 Five. (no help in all reality)

Fancy a ride up here in the far North though, seriously?

taxi25
    Free Member

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3511

4 years without a new bike is plenty long enough, if you dont mind a wait see above.

righog
    Free Member

seriously?

Aye

where ? I am flexible..York to Alnwick

but my stomping grounds between hamsterley and Thrunton really

My E mail is in my profile

I am slow as most people have guessed

righog
    Free Member

Taxi… Thanks Love it

esselgruntfuttock…. I can do most days, I work weird shifts.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock…. I can do most days, I work weird shifts.

Weird? Have you seen my work diary??

Hexham Common could be a good meet up! Edmundbyers/Blanchland/Pennypie/Slayley/Embley…Never ridden there for yonks!

righog
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock.. If you dont have mail my address is in ST..I think I have sent you an E mail ?

benji
    Free Member

One word, IBIS, now get it bought.

granny_ring

I must admit there are a huge amount of bikes about now compared to years ago so it does make the decision even harder.

You’ll have to get some demos done to narrow it down. 🙂

Del

you’re not comparing apples to apples. slash is a lot of bike for instance. how about an alpine?

oldfart

If you had seen the way one of the guys on our Slovenia was ragging his Five you’d say it’s not the bike !

iainc

I had an 08 version 5 till last year. If I was replacing it I’d be going for a 5010…

dang100
    Free Member

In the grand tradition of STW, buy what ive got – a carbon zesty. It made me ossum

andybloomer
    Free Member

I don’t care if times have changed or not, I’ve just built this and it’s frikin awesome, you just need a bit of inspiration.

Big thanks to all the guys at BETD Goldtec for helping with the build. Get yourselves to one of the best bike shops around!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I love my Five because…But….’ is closed to new replies.