• This topic has 42 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by alric.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Have we done “Gate sawn through in the Lake District”?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

I see.

olly2097
    Free Member

Strava times increased.

kayak23

I saw someone doing that. Would have said something but I was worried they might take offence.

slowoldman

Boom boom.

colp

Whoever did that must be completely unhinged.

bigfoot
    Free Member

mountain bikers getting plenty of blame on here

Since mid-November, we've had repeated damage to the paths on the popular White Moss area. Gates have been ripped off…

Posted by Lake District National Park on Wednesday, December 19, 2018

we do plenty of riding around there and sometimes go through those gates, don’t think any of them affect any strava segments and if they do they would be shit anyway. only one of them could actually be part of a descent/climb.

whitestone
    Free Member

Who’d stoop to such a thing?

funkmasterp

Who wood do such a thing?

martinhutch

Certainly a stile-ish way to make your point.

thepurist

Sawing gates? Not my style.

Curses to you martinhutch!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That looks like Cut Gate to me

Andy-R

Leaving aside all the bad puns, anyone who’d do that is, in my eyes at least, a complete malaka.
    Like any off us doing anything “off road” need any more bad publicity…

martinhutch

I’m sure someone will have rung the police with information – they will catch them soon.

Probably a local runner. Some gait analysis is what they need.

singlespeedstu

Would have been easier to take the screws out of the hinges.

bedmaker

Sounds like some guards need to be posted, to watch out for suspicious looking Laplanders.

feed

It’s like Watergate all over again

epicyclo

Looks like Freedom of Access activists.

We used to do similar in Scotland back in the 50s & 60s to any gate that did not allow personnel access – but that was justified because we had the right of access and some landowners were trying to apply English law.

However we would never do damage like that shown, we’d cut a lock and replace it with a shackle, or if we went through a fence, lace it back up again with some coloured wire.

If they want that sort of thing to stop, introduce sensible access laws.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t think gates are an access issue really Brian, we have gates up here too….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s not a locked gate, it’s a well used tourist path but don’t let that stop you from trotting out your tropes.

Looks like **** teenagers with a power saw found a thing to power saw. Or some tapper with a grudge against ldnpa or the estate

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Vandalism of this sort is a gateway crime and the perpetrator must be caught

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Maybe the police will latch on their MO. Either way I need closure.

mick_r

It is White Moss Common, so an outside possibility that some nutter objects to common land being gated.

funkmasterp

That looks like Cut Gate to me

This just deserved posting again. Well done fellow funk 👍🏼

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge
    I don’t think gates are an access issue really Brian, we have gates up here too….

thestabiliser has just pointed out it was not a locked gate.

In that case there’s no mitigating circumstances… 🙂

chevychase

My only thought is if the wall is so shit as in that pic, why bother with a gate?

Gates are for sheep. If there is no wall, then the gate is unnecessary.

dissonance

don’t think any of them affect any strava segments and if they do they would be shit anyway

Wouldnt the strava nutters want to keep the gates and just have a mate hanging around to hold them open (ok since a obsessive perhaps a paid person rather than imaginary friend) anyway? That way they would benefit but no one else would.

colp

It’s like the middle of it just varnished

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Laughing at your comment @dissonance we have a local guy who will strava stalk you if you knock him off his perch, next day he’ll go back and reclaim his prize.
    After a social ride and beer the other week we discussed a few options to finish him..

Our favourite being a gps batton, stick all our gps devices in a bag, get the fastest uphill on a whippet gravel bike with a handover to the guy on the full sus to hammer it downhill.. Win win
    All we need is 10 watches/mobiles/Garmins and he’ll be out of the top10

smokey_jo

So **** the fells spend thousands on making the surface accessible to all then whack in a load of gates! Not very joined up thinking.

anagallis_arvensis

After a social ride and beer the other week we discussed a few options to finish him..

Our favourite being a gps batton, stick all our gps devices in a bag, get the fastest uphill on a whippet gravel bike with a handover to the guy on the full sus to hammer it downhill.. Win win

Sounds like you lots are worse than him, by some orders of magnitude!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely, what a bunch of bangers! 🤣

munrobiker
    Free Member

I hope they 5 bar whoever did this from the countryside.

I’ve often thought, even as someone with a farming family,that there are more gates than necessary in the countryside. I’m not saying I condone chopping them in half but they aren’t always required. For example, in the Peak District going up the Roman road to Hope Cross, the last 150 metre stretch of the track has a gate to get into it. It’s then fenced in both sides so livestock can’t get to it but there’s another gate at the top. Why? Is this bit of track liable to walk off on its own if it isn’t kept securely gated? And as the trail is the same surface as that preceding livestock aren’t likely to come to harm on it.

Then, once you’ve descended the Beast from there and climbed up to Snake Pass there’s another little gate. Despite this area being forest, not farmland, with no sheep in it. The gate isn’t narrow enough to stop motorbikes and the track isn’t wide enough for 4x4s so what purpose does that gate serve?

A few less gates and easier access would probably be a benefit to everyone.

whitestone
    Free Member

So **** the fells spend thousands on making the surface accessible to all then whack in a load of gates! Not very joined up thinking.

The gates might be on the boundary between farmers/landowners which will nearly always be closed and latched to prevent livestock from straying. A gate in the somewhat tired looking wall is odd unless there’s work planned to reinstate it or put a fence there.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Whitestone- this is in the Lake District where fell farmers tend to mix their sheep in with one another’s.

smokey_jo

Anyone who oversees a scheme to make a route accessible should be willing to try it out as a disabled user would experience it, i.e. vision limiting glasses or a powered wheelchair for instance, they will then see just how accessible their new path is

Pook

Munrobiker:

Roman Road to Hope Cross is as a result of riders, walkers and horse riders avoiding the rocky bit and going off up the sides. The farmer had enough.

On the bottom of the beast, knowing the land manager, I would assume it’s to slow riders down.

whitestone
    Free Member

@munrobike – I’m from the Lake District, I grew up on a fell farm.😜

The first photo shows a vandalised gate on a bridge. Becks and rivers are often boundaries and many bridges have gates at either end. The second might be the wall between in-bye and fell land in which case the wall and gate will be for stock management.

Anyway, all bye-the-bye, such vandalism is all to easily laid at the wrong door by those with an agenda.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Pook- I know in your eyes, or at least the official eyes of Peak MTB, there are no wrongs done by landowners in the Peak, but the fence either side of the bottom gate at Hope Cross, and the fence up either side if the track, completely stops the situation you’re talking about. And if the landowner is so bothered about that, why hasn’t he done the same further down the hill and filled in the massive puddles made by his machinery that everyone avoids?

We’re not talking about the same gate on the Beast- I’m on about the one right at the top of the climb from the bridge at the bottom, literally on the main road. It’s totally pointless.

chevychase

I met that farmer at 10:30 on a Thursday night in October. He came to the top of Win Hill to tell me that the deep double farm track I was riding on, by myself at 10:30pm, wasn’t bridleway.

He was *very* unpleasant.

Now, I’m not saying that’s got anything to do with the hope cross gate situation…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Have we done “Gate sawn through in the Lake District”?’ is closed to new replies.