Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Have we done a wrenching/maintenance fails thread?
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

Saw this one on reddit and thought it was hilarious

from my LBS fb page, worn stancions

“The pedals starting making some funny noises”

warpcow
    Free Member

That top one is terrifying 😯

I recognise that bottom one too. Maybe we share an LBS.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Bottom one is also from reddit, maybe a user on there shares your lbs

toys19
    Free Member

where do you find these on reddit, have searched…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Been spannering push bikes for over 10 years now……

maximusmountain
    Free Member

/r/bicycling, /r/mtb, /r/cyclocross, /r/bikewrench etc.

coatesy
    Free Member

No pics, but I remember being handed two beautifully machined aluminium clamps with the threads torn out, with a comment along the lines of “they’re a bit crap. It says to torque them to 4nm, but I haven’t got a torque-wrench because I don’t need one.”. Not a patch on the fix for a too short steerer though, that involved taking a hacksaw to the head-tube, the cut starting straight and gradually veering off to about 15 degrees.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I left the crank pin hole cover off after rushing a timing belt change. Lots of oil over the cat (and the front drive) and clouds of black smoke everywhere I realised my mistake……

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Over 14 years ago now i was working at JJB sports i had minimal training and was putting a bike together and accidentally put the pedals in the wrong way round it was hard going and after i got about half way in i realised my mistake but being young and on minimum wage….. i carried on and cross threaded both pedals in, to my knowledge it never came back 😳

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, had a left crank and right pedal returned faulty from a mail order bike, we queried it, and the owner told us the other side was fine,that he was an engineer, and he knew what he was doing. New parts were duly sent out, right hand crank and left hand pedal were then returned faulty the next week.

Northwind

OK, this is a long one of mine, might be a bit tl;dr

Roval Control wheelset with bad hub bearings. Got myself the DT240 hub tool, first time I’ve had to do it, let’s go. Get NDS end cap off. Can’t get DS end cap off. Can’t get freehub off either. Lightweight wheel makes terrifying noises when I try to pull it off.

The mistake- I know, I’ll just tap it all out from the non-driveside, easy. DT owners will know, you can’t do this, the axle can only go out the NDS because of the ring ratchet.

So, give it a tap. Nope. Give it a harder tap, hmm. This is really seized! Bigger hammer. And at no point stopping to think for even a second why it wasn’t working. Ended up splitting the axle and bending the freehub body. Spat the dummy, went into the house.

Next day, realised what I’d done wrong, tapped out the DS endcap in about 2 seconds by sticking a bar through the axle, then had the rest of the hub in bits 10 seconds later. Amazing thing, the human brain, eh.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Over 14 years ago now i was working at JJB sports i had minimal training and was putting a bike together and accidentally put the pedals in the wrong way round it was hard going and after i got about half way in i realised my mistake but being young and on minimum wage….. i carried on and cross threaded both pedals in, to my knowledge it never came back

I had one in the shop like that last week. Brand new Viking fixie-style bike off the internet… BOTH pedals cross threaded.
    How do you even do that? I can see how you get one in wrong, but the other (left hand thread) won’t even bite will it?

wombat

Not really up to the standard of some but this…

was what I found when I was doing a little fettling following a ride last night that included a broken chain, I my defence I’d like to point put it was dark and cold and my fingers were numb (as was my brain if this is anything to go by).

It’s all fine now though

bencooper
    Free Member

That first one looks like it’s in Glasgow 😉

First bike I built when I was a kid, I put the bottom bracket in backwards. Though, being a Shimano UN52, it lasted longer than the frame.

martinhutch

I have just today hammered a bodged star nut with a knackered thread deep into the depths of my fork where it will never be found 😳 . And used the correct tool to insert one properly in about 10 seconds.

tmb467
    Free Member

Took me a few minutes to see what was up on that first picture…wonder if they’ve got a crown race on there?!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I reckon the crown race would tap on until its stuck, probably would preload, they just wanted a bit more stack height without buying spacers.

Wombat – My dad did the same thing and asked me “why is my chain making funny noises?” Exactly the same.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I had the car jacked up fettling the rear brakes today. Everything all back together but felt tight, figured I best give the pedal a press to align the calipers.

Fired it up and dropped it straight off the stand, it was in gear to stop it rolling forward.

DOH.

MrNice
    Free Member

we’re all laughing at that first one but someone on here only a few days ago was asking if he could use a tapered steerer fork in a non-tapered frame

wysiwyg
    Free Member

And i bet we all incorrectly said no. Cos obviously you can..

meehaja
    Free Member

Unless its tapered the other way.

JCL
    Free Member

Tried to changed the car oil in the dark. Drained all the auto transmission fluid…

Yep.

Tried all sorts of hamfisted methods of removing the lower rear shock bushing on my Enduro SL before I realised a proper tool/method actually existed and the shock ended up in the bin! 😳

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

In a previous life as a bike mechanic at the long-since-gone Neil Walton Cycles in Didsbury, I was wiring up a rear mech but was interrupted by a phone call, then a couple of customers. Went back in and continued to attach the cable to the rear v-brake…. Indexed braking! 😳

pictonroad

1st pic has a bit of chewed branch as an end plug too

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Worked in Halfords, had done for 4 years, Cycles Supervisor etc etc, great wrenching reputation, good sales.

Hired a guy, worked with him for only a week before I went away for 2 weeks. Was [incorrectly, it turned-out] concerned he wasn’t ready to be left alone there.

My last words to him before leaving were
    “I don’t care if you sell nothing, just double-check everything. Make sure no-one gets hurt”

Queue 2 weeks blissful holiday on a catamaran in Greece.

Come back and found I’d left some stem pinch bolts lose and some guy had ridden out of the carpark and tried to make a left onto a bike lane. The bike had veered a few degrees, the wheel had jackknifed and dumped him on his face in the middle of the A21 casing extensive cuts a bruses, but no death. Just.

When I think of it, my eyebrows still climb skyward about 8 years later.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

longtime lurker first time poster…..

Faffing around on Saturday trying to get my front wheel sealed up so i could ride it. I know, I’ll go to the servo and blow it up there…

Get the bead sealed nice, slop in some sealant and hit the “flat tyre” setting on the forecourt pump. Waiting to hear the pop pop pop of the bead seating itself and keeping an eye on the display, the tyre launches itself off the rim with a mighty bang, i get covered in sealant and as the rim makes a lunge at my face in the ensuing carnage i catch it on the brake disc.

Finger resembling ET’s later on

craigxxl
    Free Member

Similar to Skinnyboy. First time setting up tubeless it was cold in the garage so took it in the kitchen. Whilst getting the bead to pop the tyre exploded off the rim. The wife came running through to find the kitchen (cupboards, counters, floor and ceiling) and myself covered in sealant. Lots of cleaning and a lifetime ban from working on bikes in the house.

A mate came round all excited to fit his new carbon forks to his MTB. He’d seen me cutting the steerer down a few times and wanted to borrow my tools to do the job. I was a bit tired and not really paying attention so missed the fact that he measured and marked the steerer with just the headset and some spacers on. Only after he made a neat cut through the tube did I ask if he’d used the headset, spacers and stem as it looked short. It was way too short to mount the stem even with spacers.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I had one in the shop like that last week. Brand new Viking fixie-style bike off the internet… BOTH pedals cross threaded.
    How do you even do that? I can see how you get one in wrong, but the other (left hand thread) won’t even bite will it?

It takes a great amount of effort and cranks made of cheese lol

pictonroad

We bought some bikes for the team to use on a long construction site, delivered without pedals attached.

They handed the bikes to the nearest labourer for construction. Using a foot long adjustable for making formwork he quite easily ‘fitted’ all the pedals against the thread. The bikes were consigned to the back of the store and they went back to driving everywhere.

Rorschach
    Free Member

skinnyboy,what is that bike?
    Spidey sense says a Mountain Cycle….

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    skinnyboy,what is that bike?

Mountain Cycle Fury, built it up about a year ago, rides like a stealth bomber with the computer off haha great fun but a handful with the hi CoG.

And in the wild….

Rorschach
    Free Member

rides like a stealth bomber with the computer off

😆 tea/keyboard interface

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I have a spanner shaped dent in my nose from changing a belt on our Ford Focus.

Just as I thought, “If that spanner slips, I’m going to **** myself in the face”, it did. Cue busted nose and black eye. Not my finest moment.

dibboid
    Free Member

Love the tapered steerer in the straight headtube. … I might go order me some new pikes after seeing that for my 2012 trek. 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Have we done a wrenching/maintenance fails thread?’ is closed to new replies.