Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Has Online Gaming Made Game Designers Lazy?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

A good single-player game requires plot and development. I can’t help thinking that some companies look at Half Life 1/2 and GTA4 and think ‘Christ, that much creativity and imaginatino looks like a whole lot of hard work. Can’t we just code a bunch of levels and let people shoot each other intsead?’

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or they think ‘christ that GTA is full of flaws, let’s make something that is easier to work’.

(I bought it (I think it was 3 or 4) and found myself on two separate occasions in the first few levels having crashed a car, being unable to get out or move it, leaving me with no option to restart the level (as in I couldn’t even kill myself, I had to force quit to restart).

I then sold it.

GW
    Free Member

to be fair, that’s quite realistic – it’s perfectly possible not to be able to get out a car in a real life car crash and have nothing at hand to kill ones self. – maybe you should have waited for the fire brigade to come and cut you out?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The point being is that it was a glitch in the programming – there was no reason for it to happen other than where I had crashed and no other gameplay ensued – if I did nothing for a week, I would still be there. Perhaps if I could eat my arm and drink my piss to stave off starvation and dehydration it would be more ‘realistic’…

fisha
    Free Member

check out steam for the big guy helping the little guy though

Yup – agreed, and thats cause steam is essentially a content delivery system, a bit like iTunes.

A good single-player game requires plot and development. I can’t help thinking that some companies look at Half Life 1/2 and GTA4 and think ‘Christ, that much creativity and imaginatino looks like a whole lot of hard work.

I think its down to getting a plot / characters you can actually relate to. Half Life worked cause you really felt that you were the underdog Gordon Freeman. I didn’t think Crysis worked cause I dont really relate to being the character … you enter the scene as an assuming a superior ability from the outset, didn’t quite work.

I remember having an old flight sim EF2000 which had an interesting campaign section. You would carry out a mission as part of a war and after you completed it, it would then run more campaign simulations and come up with more missions / targets for you to carry out.

I reckon that sort of idea could be picked up in modern FPS games, where you have a flexible campaign which you can play over a sustained period of time and the missions vary.

molgrips
    Free Member

MF, selling a game because you found a glitch in it is pretty stupid. It’s a great game.

Fisha – sounds great. Surely graphics are plenty good enough nowadays, can’t we spend more time on making the game itself interesting and clever?

Lifer
    Free Member

Fallout has the most bugs ever, proper game breaking bugs as well.

GTA San Andreas is the best game ever made.

😀

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Has Online Gaming Made Game Designers Lazy?’ is closed to new replies.