Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • hardtail or full suss, which do you want to ride most?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Sold my Five when I was pregnant, the little one is now 7 weeks old and I have to admit I'm already missing it! Have been out on my hardtail singlespeed twice now though (as it's my only mtb) and that's still good fun – though not the easiest transition back to riding!

(Oh and yeah… I'd love a 4" full suss!)

cookeaa

Hmmm, being bounceless ATM I have to say I’m still tempted from time to time, all of my previous FS bikes have had 6” or more (mostly DH bikes) and I’ve always looked at the available 4” bikes and thought they either appear a bit too whispy for hard use and DH tails (Anthem) or else overbulit and inefficient geo for any distance/climbing work (bottle rocket, etc) …

Not a dilemma I have with my HT, it’ll take some stick but still pedals/climbs relatively nicely… But still a 4” bouncer which can handle seat up and seat down action does start to sound more and more tempting to me…

Jamie
    Free Member

Only ever had HTs. So HT.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I want to ride my FS most, 'cos I generally use it for more "interesting" terrain than I can ride from my doorstep. The fact most of my riding is – by necessity – from my doorstep means I end up riding my HT most, on the easier local terrain…if that all makes sense!

Rickos
    Free Member

I'm enjoying FS at the moment, either Prophet or my Kona Howler razzing machine. Still use the HT as well though.

soobalias
    Free Member

the FS. even just slinging my leg over and riding up the drive puts a smile on my face.

in fact, im off to stick a rear light on so i can take it out tonight.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

HT. Simple choice as it's the only bike I have 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Depends where I am going riding…

run a XC hardtail and heavy 6 inch travel bike.. I wouldnt take the hardtail to the Alps and I wont XC race the 6 inch full sus..

Its a good point about a 4 inch travel bike being the ultimate do it all.
    It would be a 100mm travel bike if I was forced into just running one bike.

jedi

onzadog, its not about the bike 🙂
    i always say bring the bike you want to ride

steve_b77
    Free Member

SS Steel HT for local woods if I fancy a blast (only had it a week and ridden it 5 times already) 😀

FS if I'm on a big trip out, trail centre or just fancy somethign different, it's nice and light (26.5lbs) and has more than enough travel at 130mm each end (adjustable at teh rear down to 89m) spends most of it's life at 116mm recently.

nuke

HT

…I've bought a fair few FS frames but I always seem to sell them in a short space of time. Just haven't managed to find a 'keeper' with FS bikes.

titusrider
    Free Member

humm my ss hardtail comes out for fast local blasts

used to have a 100mm FS which i thought was all id ever want

got a (really light) 140mm FS and now ride that almost all the time, as fast as the 100mm uphill and an absolute beast DH

tinsy
    Free Member

I read the question a bit wrong, I want to ride my 6 inch travel bike, and to ride it somewhere where it comes into its own the most. Itching for a big day to test myself.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

HT for those; im jumping on the bike with no plan to link up some loacl trails moments
    FS for planned excursions that are usually trail center based

if i had to give up one or the other the FS would have to go, the HT isnt as wild but it is so versatile, it will go-anywhere and that is why i love mtbs. . their ability to go anywhere

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jedi, I want to ride them both!

(Having said that, seeing what's happening with Pace frames, perhaps I should bring the other one!)

jedi

it makes no difference learning wise 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

Steel Hardtail at the moment, it just feels quicker than my full bouncer, can't figure out why, but my HT likes to skip down the trail and testing me to jump, while the full bouncer stays planted to trail and just feels slow when compared to my HT, also my lap times are 15 minutes slower on the FS.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I dislike riding the FS when is really muddy because it's a beeeaich to clean. But I prefer it when there is a lot of rocks because it's much less tiring to just thrash. But then the HT feels great when I'm riding well, especially on smoother lines.

FS all the way.

Why?

Because my 6" FS is the most versatile bike I've ever ridden. It rides like a HT when I want it to and weighs only as much as a (reasonably) burly HT @ 28lbs. It also soaks up anything you throw at it on the downs.

Northwind

My FS just now but then it's newer and more exciting 😉 Depends where I'm riding too mind.

andy7t2
    Free Member

fs at the moment but only because i've been riding my ht for the last month

solamanda
    Free Member

FS because it suits my style best. I used to prefer a hardtail but as I've progressed prefer a FS. However I still prefer a hardtail for jumping of course.

Hardtails taught me alot about riding.

ampthill

Never had a choice but owned both. HT died about 6 weeks ago. Bought a FS. So far vey pleased with it. Its comfy and climbs better than my HT….

PikeBN14
    Free Member

My new FS when I pick it up tomorrow (3 weeks late!) 😀 😛 8)

big_scot_nanny

For me it is 29er HT over 120mm FS 26er. The latter is about to be sold as I just do not use it anymore (prob fund a bolt thorugh fork).

If I'm going big, I can rent something, but the 29er is sooooo much fun I can't be arsed with the rear end squish any more. Just treated it to some Hope Tech M4s with braided hoses and fancy rotors (was a very good deal on wiggle).

Kev

emac65
    Free Member

I dunno,sometimes it's the h/tail,but then which one – the tough one,rigid one or the big wheeled one…
    & at other times it's the FS,but again which one – the 85mm,100 or 130mm one….
    I'll get back to you…………………..

Actually I know which one it is…….

All of 'em, at any one time !

I just love riding bikes & really don't get too fussed about which one's underneath me tbh 😀

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I hadn't ridden my hardtail for almost a year having got my first full suspension bike. Recently my FS had to go for repairs so I was back on the hardtail and absolutely loved it. You certainly feel more involved with the trail but I crashed a bit and couldn't keep up with my friends on their FS's. If I had to choose I'd go for the full suspension as it's more suited to the kind of riding I do but the hardtail is more enjoyable in some ways.

elaineanne
    Free Member

Rode a HT for about a year then got Full Sus..never looked back…so full sus for me…

juan
    Free Member

Is that a fair interpretation?

Nope it all depends were you ride.

I guess that it's going to be the FS for me as the HT is rusting at the bottom of the garage:(

chameleon78
    Free Member

having had a SC superlight, which was at the time awesome, then an insurance replacement led to a Turner 5 spot, sold the frame and bought a chameleon due to an economy drive a few years back.
    Don't get to ride as much as i used to nowadays but on a good day the chameleon is untouchable. rode the other week in the dry and had so much fun pumping the trails railing berms etc – more so than on the fs bikes.

I get tempted by the Blur LT but if i wasn't 6'4" and didn't need a fit for purpose FS then I'd plump for an Intense Tazer or an Intense Double.
    My ideal FS bike would be a Blur 4x but unfortunately that isn't made anymore

Karinofnine

The Salsa Moto Rapido is light, stiff, fast and has beautiful chainstays – but my 5 is the love of my (off road) life (apart from my dog)

grtdkad

Started with a HT Gary Fisher back inc 96/97 then went FS in 2005 (S-works Epic) – sold that a couple of years ago and never missed it (that much). On to my third HT now and they've been just as much fun – ace…

…did I mention I had a new Whyte??? 🙄

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Done HT 26, FS 26 and now HT 29.
    What more can I say……now only have a HT29er.

OK its a bit of an oil tanker at slow speed but….its sooooooooo much quicker, rolls soooooooo much better and for me, seems to climb better than the others. No brainer here – 29er HT everytime.

(sorry for those who dont do 29 and I know this isnt a 26/29 thread) 🙄

coolhandluke
    Free Member

456ti gets to do most miles as its more of an involved ride then my Enduro

Enduro set up for Alp trips so rarely gets a look in for Uk stuff + it weights a ton and makes things less interesting cos it has a 6" skill compensator at the back.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

HT

…I've bought a fair few FS frames but I always seem to sell them in a short space of time. Just haven't managed to find a 'keeper' with FS bikes.

+1. But then again I've not been sufficiently interested to try one for a long time. And I can't afford an Ibis for the time being so there's no point 🙂

Cool-hand-luke – Member
    456ti gets to do most miles as its more of an involved ride then my Enduro

Enduro set up for Alp trips so rarely gets a look in for Uk stuff + it weights a ton and makes things less interesting cos it has a 6" skill compensator at the back.

I sometimes enjoy riding my HT, but calling rear sus a 'skill compensator' shows a level of ignorance usually associated with people who have a dogged denial of it's merits – unless I'm missing your sarcasm.

freeridenick
    Free Member

PA and remedy – love both, but at the moment the remedy is perfect in the dust hitting the bigger stuff.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘hardtail or full suss, which do you want to ride most?’ is closed to new replies.