Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hard tails with rigid carbon forks?
  • womble72
    Free Member

What are they like to ride?

mmb
    Free Member

light and quick but not great over small rough stuff like cobble stones etc
    here’s mine

ti 456 single speed with exotic carbon 29er forks giving geometry equal to that of 130mm travel but without the travel.

druidh
    Free Member

Great for shorter distance, a bit of a pain for rougher stuff over longer distances though. Built light, they can be a lot of fun.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

like shit, get a full suser man up and ride some real shit,

mmb
    Free Member

damn they blocked it, it began with a W and ended with an R and there was an anchor in the middle.

tazzymtb

fine with big wheels and a low pressure front tyre, you get to find smoother and faster lines which then makes you a much more finessed rider when you use oingly boingly bits again

Hornet600
    Free Member

Carbon forks are fine if used with a single speed!!

takisawa2

They work better on a 29er.

globalti
    Free Member

Fast, smooth, light, easy to shoulder and much less tiring than a full sus on a big mountain day. With a carbon fork and some fattish tyres and a Ti frame you only miss the suspension forks on really big hits like steps and brick-sized rocks.

bullheart
    Free Member

S’all I ride. And I ride it everywhere; last month I hammered a couple of fellas on FS bikes at Whinlatter, and I’m shit at riding.

They work better on a 29er

Amen to that.

RealMan
    Free Member

This entire thread just reminded me of this

An online home for middle aged, middle/upper class, predominantly English xc jey boy mincers whose idea of mountain biking consists of grinding around the country side in brightly coloured lycra on titanium singlespeed rigid ego chariots.

The typical singtrackworld member can usually be spotted in trail centre carparks standing beside their Audi, loudly boasting about the three foot drop they “nailed” with ease thanks to their new £5000 6inch all mountain bike, or how they “smoked some downhillers” whilst riding their rigid on-one wearing a blindfold on the black route.

Inwardly the average singletrackmember would love to posses more skills than the ability to negotiate a technical climb, in reality this means acquiring actual bike handling skills. To cover up their utter lack of ability on a bike they pour scorn on any style riding which isnt utterly boring.
    “Hey john, where did you get that fancy new bike?” “Its actually not new at all, I bought it off some **** with more money than sense on singletrackworld. He clearly couldnt ride for toffee, just like the rest of those asshats”

😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

i love mine. great for messing around in the woods or big days out. can ride most tech stuff on it but too much tech stuff and it starts to beat you up.

nothing beats the feeling of railing swoopy singletrack and berms on a rigid bike.

tazzymtb

can ride most tech stuff on it but too much tech stuff and it starts to beat you up

that’s where a ti truss fork and big tyre come in handy 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Tried it and wasn’t for me but, as mentioned above, fit the largest volume tyre you can and run it at as low pressure as you can get away with, it can really make a difference and tolerable.

racefaceec90

would like to put rigid forks on my duster someday.am going to wait until the toras are knackered first though.am deciding between carbon/steel 😉

tazzymtb

jones bars help a lot as well for comfort and handling over rocky bits, look a bit erm…..”different” though

robgarrioch

Used one last winter, found it introduced some fresh interest to the trails. Always felt a bit more vulnerable, which probably added a little spice. Got a 29″ wheel ready to go in for this winter, should I get the pleasure of getting out again in a 69er stylee…

(last years set-up)

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye – if I was building another, I’d make it a 29er.

stratobiker
    Free Member

What are they like to ride?

Why do you ask? Are you thinking of getting some?
    What do you normally ride?

SB

Northwind

I like mine a lot… Nice modern take on an old theme. There’s not much I can ride on a hardtail that I wouldn’t happily take on with the rigid, but the way I approach everything is different so it really adds new life to trails.

It’s not great for some stuff though, stuttery rocky trails are seriously hard work and slow going, which stops being fun quite fast.

Flashy
    Free Member

I have 2, I like them, both SS, fine for most things apart from serious downhills and long sections of rocks, depends where you ride…..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Use mine in the Yorkshire Dales on bridleways and non technical terrain and it’s good fun.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hard tails with rigid carbon forks?’ is closed to new replies.