Home Forums Bike Forum Handlebar bags – what do you recommend?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Handlebar bags – what do you recommend?
  • ElShalimo

I thought I’d come back to this thread with an update:

The Topeak Barloader is very good. It’s held up well in some foul weather. It took a bit of trial and error to get it right but it works really well. It usually has a Canon G16, snacks, tubes, extra layers and wallet in there.

The only negative thing I can say is that the long straps, that are to mount it on the front roll bag, can be a little annoying at times. I just double them back on themselves and they create two extra compression straps. Ideal for crushing sandwiches 😉

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve reviewed a few, beerbabe, miss-grape, cordell.cc. got some Chrome industries & the route werks ones arriving soon

also just reviewed the wizard works wiz viz range, bar, saddle and top tube bag. giving the GoGo top tube bag away too. you’ll need to watch my youtube channel for that. review on the website.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Liking the look of the Restrap one anyone got a real review of it in daily use.

bfw

Bikepacking Handlebar Bag(3.5L)

I love my Carradice bags 🙂

didnthurt

I really like my bar bag from Macks

Bar Bag

Made in the UK and not outrageously expensive.

didnthurt

For value the Rapha one looks very good but it does make you look a bit like a ‘try hard w@@@er’

didnthurt

There’s some decent ones from small companies on the Etsy website. I bought a Camel chops for my daughter and she likes it. Perfect for a jacket, multi-tool and some snacks.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I am using this. Quick release, cheap, splendid.

Merak

I’m using this:

Was sceptical of the cam operation on the fixing mechanism but it is rock solid and holds alot of stuff, or it cinches down when you only have a part load.

Nice but pricey

matt_outandabout

I’m still happy with our OnOne bargainciois Altura KlikFast bags. They are rock solid and easy to access.

I tried a tie on bag and just found it flopped and flapped everywhere.

ransos
    Free Member

The fluoro Carradice looks very similar to the zipped roll. Might try mine on the bars.

dove1

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/handlebar-bags-what-do-you-recommend/page/2/#post-12141589

I have the Restrap Canister Bag and it is perfect for everyday riding. Just the right size to hold a light jacket, multitool, CO2 cartridge and adapter, an energy bar and a folded up musette for emergency use.

For long day rides and when bikepacking I also have the 10l Bar Pack. Great for holding a change of clothes, sarnies, snacks, etc and the front pocket is quick and easy to access for smaller items.

They are quite expensive but worth the money in my opinion.

tomski
    Free Member

Certain colours of the Rapha handlebar bags are currently £38 on their website.

ElShalimo

My wife has claimed the Topeak barloader I bought so now I’m looking for a slightly smaller bag that doesn’t interfere with GPS, light and bells on the drop bars

Has anyone got one of the Carradice Bikepacking Handlebar Bag (link above)?? It looks pretty good but can’t find many reviews of it.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Not sure these are any smaller, but just seen the thread pop up and wanted to give a vote for victory chimp https://www.victorychimp.cc/collections/bags/products/norfee-industries-ror-handlebar-bag-olive

The straps are a bit fiddly if you’re swopping it between bikes a lot, but other than that it’s been a great bag. Perfect size for a day out.

Alex

I have a WizardWorks one based on @rocketdog review. It’s a whole lot stiffer than the cheap Alpkit one I had before. Need another and will prob get a second one although the victory chimp one looks pretty good for a bit less money,

MrSmith
    Free Member

Camelchops Blimp.
    have a restrap canister myself but have bought Camelchops bags for my partner (you can customise colours to go with your bike).
    They are a husband and wife team making the bags in the U.K.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a wizard works/restrap/Rapha bar bag test ongoing. So far there’s a clear leader

I did ask camelchops to join in but they didn’t in the end

I have a WizardWorks one based on @rocketdog review. It’s a whole lot stiffer than the cheap Alpkit one I had before. Need another and will prob get a second one although the victory chimp one looks pretty good for a bit less money,

Great! The voile strap fixing is a highlight too

kelvin

I have the Restrap Canister Bag and it is perfect for everyday riding.

Same here. Doesn’t carry much, but ideal size if you want something without fitting any hardware. Good for swapping between bikes super quick.

matt_outandabout

Ortileb Handlebar Bag. (touring style not bike packing).

👆

I tried a couple of on-trend ‘bikepacking’ handlebar bags. They were not great, took longer to fit, and wore out bits of frame, flopped around, cost lots.
    Mrs_OAB and I now sport ‘granny bags’ – Altura versions of the Ortileb bags linked below. Klikfast is great – stable, vey quick to mount/unmount, no rubbing, no problems offroad. The bags were £8 from OnOne sale!

I would like some on-trend companies to make a klikfast mount bar bag – I do like the Camelchops colours and patterns of gear, maybe I should ask nicely…

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=79394&categoryID=91

jimdubleyou

I have the Restrap Canister Bag and it is perfect for everyday riding.

Ditto

I also have the Restrap bar bag, it’s ok, and definitely waterproof but quite deep if you’ve got a low stack height- I’ve had it rub on the front wheel before…

It actually works better as a saddle bag!

csb
    Free Member

Love my altura box that is rixen and kaul quick release, has a carry stray for cafea/shopping, and has an old school map holder on the lid for err, a map.

ElShalimo

I’ve got a wizard works/restrap/Rapha bar bag test ongoing. So far there’s a clear leader

@rOcKeTdOg
    – When will the reviews be posted on your website?

rOcKeTdOg

When will the reviews be posted on your website?

just got to finish writing it, hopefully beginning of next week

ElShalimo

👍

continuity
    Free Member

@qwerty

Missed your reply ages ago, but:

How aerodynamic is your Bikepacking setup?

The Fascinating Aerodynamics of Bikepacking and Bicycle Touring

These silly round hipster bar bags are about as bad for aero a choice you can make.

See them strapped to 5 grand road bikes everywhere these days. They carry less than jersey pockets do. If you need more, a frame or seatpack is by far a better idea.

Unless like, fitting in at your local gravel ride is your jam.

scotroutes

Aero? Have you seen the shape of me?

continuity
    Free Member

If you’re bigger and slower, you spend more time in the wind and you’re more impacted by wind at a wider angle of attack.

Which means you actually have, objectively, more to gain from not making aero mistakes.

I’m not saying get in a skinsuit, just – why spend money that’s only gonna make you slower all the time.

ElShalimo

I think most of us are leisure cyclists, aero is just  something to eat (preferably not the mint one, it’s an abomination)

rOcKeTdOg

They carry less than jersey pockets d

You must have very big pockets. Who wants three loaded down pockets anyway? I can’t stand hip or back packs so everything I need can go in the bar bag plus my cheese sandwiches don’t get sweaty, crushed or covered in crap from the rear wheel as they would if they were sat in my back pocket 🤷‍♂️

didnthurt

I’d add one these if you don’t like the paint on your bike been rubbed off or your cable outer rubbed away.

Link

didnthurt

I’d keep the bar bag to a sensible size and keep it as close to your bars as possible. Or the weight can affect handling.

Brooks, Rapha, Caradice and Ortlieb have some nice bar bags too.

didnthurt

I like minimalist type bags as I hate the dreaded rattle.

Bar bags are good about 3 litres. Used for food, warm layer, pump, spares, tools, gels, glasses

Bum bags are good about 1 litre, used for keys, phone, snack, windproof gilet/jacket, essential spares, money

Saddle bags are best less than 0.5 litre, used for tools or spares

Small top tube bags are good for food

A bottle feed bag is also good to add extra food or water bottle

Bargain bags can be bought from Decathlon, Halfords, Planet X, eBay and Amazon.

Or a tool bottle is awesome on the cross/gravel/MTB marathon bikes.

ransos
    Free Member

The fluoro Carradice looks very similar to the zipped roll. Might try mine on the bars.

Update, it went on the bars with longer straps and foam spacers bought from Carradice. It worked well, and there was just enough room for a spare pair of shorts, jersey and travel towel, which I used on the Bryan Chapman audax.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d add one these if you don’t like the paint on your bike been rubbed off or your cable outer rubbed away.

Or helmet tubes https://tightbike.co.uk/products/helmet-tubes-handlebar-bag-support

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.