Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Handlebar bags – what do you recommend?
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking for a handlebar bag for the gravel bike (flared drops) and for use on the HT.

What can you recommend, say <10L in size?

Ideally I’d like it to be waterproof or highly water resistant, robust, non-bouncy, less than £60 and easy to move across bikes

whitestone
    Free Member

A couple of options that I’ve used:

Alpkit Gnaro – see my comment about the straps in the Alpkit thread. Obviously only 3L.

DrJon Strapdeck https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessories/products/dewidget-strap-deck-large, a couple of Voile straps and dry bag of your choice.

ElShalimo

thanks @whitestone

I’ll assume you meant velcro straps or you’ve been binge watching the interior design thing on BBC 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

No, Voile straps – https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessories/products/voile-nyl-strap slightly stretchy polyurethane straps (ooerr!)

ElShalimo

👍

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve reviewed a few, beerbabe, miss-grape, cordell.cc. got some Chrome industries & the route werks ones arriving soon. Lots of choices, all depends on what you need it to do. Day rides or tours etc but the attachment & internals are key. Slightly padded inside saves you being driven mad with rattles etc

Voile straps are great.

Currently got a tartan camel-chops bag on the bike which I really like

Sandwich

I’m using the small Restrap bag which is perfect for phone, wallet, nibbles, repair equipment, dog treats, lead and pooh bags. I’ve not used it in the wet yet so waterproofing is un-tested.

ElShalimo

@rOcKeTdOg – we needs photos !

dove1

For day rides/general use the Restrap Cannister bag is great. It’s only 1.5l though so may not be what you have in mind.

qwerty
    Free Member

10L waterproof or highly water resistant, robust, non-bouncy, less than £60 and easy to move across bikes

Ortileb Handlebar Bag. (touring style not bike packing).

Check Cyclestore for the best prices.

ampthill

Handlebar bags are a diverse thing as qwerty said

A role looks cool and is a great way of adding load to a bike. But really useless for snacks or anything you need quickly

An old fashioned handle bar bag is really practical

A frame bag is IMHO the way forward for a modern bag with good access. But not so much for transfering between bikes

rOcKeTdOg

@rOcKeTdOg – we needs photos

I could link to my website but I don’t thinks its fair to navigate you away from STW as they have their own grav thing going on with adverts etc ( not that I have adverts but it might affect the revenue stream & I want STW to keep going!)

You could PM me and I’ll point you in the right direction

Graham_Clark

Topeak Barloader works well for me – Just over 6l, easy to attach/move and seems pretty weatherproof…

Can also be strapped round a larger front roll for longer trips

matt_outandabout

I bought a couple of Altura bar bags, touring stylee on proper bar clamp mounts.
    They don’t look as cool as a roll, but so quick to access what you need, nicely padded and with ‘pockets’ to sort things, really well mounted and do not bounce as much.

I too think frame bags (not full frame) are also ideal for this.

boardmanfs18

I’ve been looking for a bar bag for the missuses e-bike, problem is due to the short stem, it won’t fit a bar bag that hangs from the handlebar.

Had a look at the Ortlieb bags, looked great but the e-bike display is too wide to accept the bar mount.

ElShalimo

I agree about frame bags, I’ve got a Restrap large one on my XL Camino and it’s great but doesn’t fit my Cove HJ. The option of a bar bag that I could use, or my wife is why I’m looking for one.

That Topeak one looks good. Enough room for an OS map & snacks & tools

sboardman

I have a wizard works lil presto that’s pretty spacious. Easy to fit/remove with Voilè straps and comes in snazzy colours. Prefer it to a frame bag as I’m short and fitting two bottles plus a frame bag is a squeeze. Anything I need to access on the move (food mainly!) is in a top tube bag.

roverpig

Thanks @sboardman I was trying to remember what mine was called 🙂

Sounds as though we have a pretty similar setup.

It’s a fair bit smaller than the OP was looking for though (around 2.5l from memory) and despite the YKK zip mine isn’t totally waterproof. It’s been fine for me. Easy to fit, about as stable as such a thing can be and I like the snazzy colours. When I carry my small quilted jacket I put it in a sea2summmit waterproof bag though.

ElShalimo

There are a lot out there nowadays.

I’m now thinking 4-7L would be best for OS maps, tools, tubes (yes I’m a luddite) and snacks and extra layers.

roverpig

I’ve got something around that size in the shed I think. It’s a cube shaped thing made by Altura. I don’t have the bracket for it anymore but last time I looked you could still buy them. Let me know if you are interested and I’ll see if I can dig it out.

sboardman

High five @roverpig! They do look good in the camo. Though I will admit to splashing out on a custom one to match my bike…

Yeah they aren’t massive. I wanted it for a better place to stash extra layers, gravel tube that doesn’t fit in a tool caddy plus maybe a camera in the summer. I have a restrap harness for multiday rides. But it’s very sensitive to overpacking as I’m riding a 51cm bike so there’s not tonnes of space between the bars and tyre.

@ElShalimo
    it looks like Alpkit still have the Tivaro in stock and on sale? Or a Joey harness plus appropriately sized drybag might be a particularly cost effective option.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have two Molle bags off ebay, not as trendy but a million sizes and styles for a fraction of the cost.

lewisdeacon

I have two, an Apidura 9L, which is a roll type tube, which you can easily load – I use this for commuting as can easily take a roll of clothes to change into and can squash down to whatever size you need – it also has a clip for an extra level of storage (I use a dry bag inside it so when I get to work I can leave it on the bars and slide the contents out). I also have a smaller Lugit square bar bag, which I use more day to day as it has a top zip closure and they are all custom made so you can choose the colours – its much smaller so is better for gloves, lights, coffee, tools etc, rather than a bike packing style

Sandwich

@boardmanfs18 You need these to get the controller into a place that will allow a bar bag to fit.
    Rixen & Kaul KF850
    Rixen & Kaul KF828

Rixen & Kaul KF813
    The e-bike controls get fixed to the latter part allowing a bar bag to fix to the quickfix clip.

miketually
    Free Member

I got a Karrimor wash bag from Sports Direct and used a couple of velcros straps to attach it. Worked well for sunglasses, wallet, snacks, maps, etc.

rOcKeTdOg

PXL_20210318_122039739

ElShalimo

Nice!

ElShalimo

I like Restrap and I like to buy UK made stuff when I can but oooff £105!

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/restrap-releases-new-10-litre-bar-pack-281867

continuity
    Free Member

Unless you’ve already maxed out your top tube, frame and seattube storage I’d be tempted to avoid a handlebar bag. Shit for aero, ruins the steering.

ElShalimo

Shit for aero

You’ve not seen my relaxed geometry

😉

rOcKeTdOg

ruins the steering

😂

ElShalimo

If you’ve got 12 pork pies in there it could do

🤔

rOcKeTdOg

Yea but that’d just improve as the ride went on and the load got transferred to your belly making the centre of gravity lower & the handling exponentially better

qwerty
    Free Member

avoid a handlebar bag. Shit for aero,

Compared to a rear bag, apparently not (and be careful about what your wearing):

Perhaps more surprising to many, front bags were more aerodynamic than rear ones. A handlebar bag was more aerodynamic than a Carradice saddlebag that extended just slightly beyond the hips of the rider (see photo at the top of this post). Front panniers (on low-rider racks) were more aerodynamic than rear panniers.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/aerodynamics-of-real-world-bicycles/

ElShalimo

Yea but that’d just improve as the ride went on and the load got transferred to your belly making the centre of gravity lower & the handling exponentially better

100000000% true. This is how I got my relaxed geometry

😎

bornonaboat

Another vote for the wizard works lil presto.

I use the big ortlieb roll for actual bikepacking.

rOcKeTdOg

Route werks in the flesh

PXL_20210321_093924283

PXL_20210321_122319820

ElShalimo

Thanks for the help

I ordered the Topeak Barloader (from Tweeks) as it was 6.5L and has some good real world reviews. It should be big enough for lunch, tools, tube, mini pump and a warm layer when we stop (maybe a mini bottle of wine too 😎).

chrisdw
    Free Member

Acepac?

https://terraventure.co.uk/products/acepac-bar-bag?variant=34796857032861

I’ve got their bike packing bag and harness which is really good. This can be mounted on top of that or on its own. Not tried one, but they look good and the build quality of my other acepac stuff is excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.