• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • hand planing door, how hard could it be?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

…just found out I will need to scrape about 3mm door bottom when i fit the wooden floor 👿 ..seems cheaper option is to hand plane it, 2 standard doors im sure wood is soft and nothing special, how hard could it be?

will this do the job?

midlifecrashes

They do an electric for just a fiver more. Easier to cope with the glue and joins on the bottom of a door. Set it to a fine cut and do lots of passes rather than rushing it in one or two shoves.

seavers
    Free Member

It probably will but an electric one is easier. The grain on a solid wood door will run in different ways across the bottom as they are made from panels. Cheap electric ones are about £25.

psychobiker
    Free Member

Or bung a pro 20 quid to do it for you. 😉

the-muffin-man

…aye – good luck getting a joiner out just to shave a bit off a door! 😀

marcus7
    Free Member

If it makes you feel better I’ve got 10 new doors arriving on Monday and her indoors expects them fitted by Friday…. 🙁

psychobiker
    Free Member

Thats my trade and I regularly pop into peoples places to shave doors on the way home from work. Less than an hiur to do a couple of doors (beer money) yay

marcus7
    Free Member

Cool… See you Monday… 😉

project
    Free Member

aye – good luck getting a joiner out just to shave a bit off a door

i also plane doors, strange you go out to plane a few doors, and then geret remembered for bigger jobs, so a bit like reverse advertising.

Electric planner, keep finger out of cutters, only plane half way down each edge, or it will spelch out, dont put mobvving planner down until blades stop, and ensure you plane the base not top of door, easily done.

andyl
    Free Member

Given my planing skills I prefer to use a router and do half the door thickness from one side and then finish it off from the other using a nice straight edge clamped to the door to follow. Makes a hell of a mess though!

juanking

If you do it yourself make sure you mark how much you want to cut off before you start. This was a £300 lesson I learnt….

wolfenstein
    Free Member

cheers guys, will try to find a good enough electric plane for 2 doors job..

only plane half way down each edge

what do you mean by this exactly? to be honest I haven’t seen how electric plane do the job like and only seen the hand wooden plane when I was a kid

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what do you mean by this exactly?

The stile/edging/lip of the door will be in the form of end grain at the bottom of the door. If you plane against end grain the timber will split at the point the plane exits the material.

It needs a scrap block to avoid that

Much easier though of course is to plane half way and then change direction.

project
    Free Member

best to get a man in to do it,

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve known women who were capable.

project
    Free Member

But this man needs the work, recession and all that

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Has this man got any tools ?

JoeG
    Free Member

Use a belt sander!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘hand planing door, how hard could it be?’ is closed to new replies.