• This topic has 45 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Hamilton
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does he need to calm down?

too many crashes and incidents this year. Has his frustration boiled over? Has he gone too far?

Lots of ex drivers and pundits say so. He says he will not change

thoughts?

trout
    Free Member

Frustrated by not being able to catch Finger boy
    ringing the neck of the Macca in trying and the mistakes happen.

lets see how he does this weekend

No keep Taz as is

clubber
    Free Member

Think this summarises it pretty well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/05/hamilton.html

He reckons he’s the fastest driver out there (with some justification IMO) so if he isn’t winning, that’s got to be because of other things and that’s the source of the frustration.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He needs to shut his mouth and calm down a bit. It’s all well and good being passionate, but Hammo’s just bin a knob this season, whilst Jensonbutton has quietly got on with things and has performed better (in a car that’s undoubtedly designed to favour Hammo).

And he should feel thankful that he’s not Markwebber; in a potential WC winning car, but without the out and out talent of his team-mate to make it work as well. Loads of talk about Markwebber being a ‘nice bloke’ and all that, but ultimately, he’s being out-classed. By some margin. That would really frustrate me, in fact I’d give up and go into something else like LeMans cars or whatever.

hels
    Free Member

I like him. He has a personality and clearly a sense of humour, unlike some of the other robot drivers. Schumacher, I’m talking about you.

spacehopper

he thinks he has the talent and skill of ayrton senna.. he doesnt..

on a good day hes probably a bit better than vettel, but over a season vettel’s the more consistent driver.

he needs to take a step back.. appreciate that this years car isnt quite as good as the red bull and stop pushing too far and crashing.

theres always next year…

dooosuk
    Free Member

I think he’s probably frustrated he’s not already a multiple world champion. He should be.

neallyman
    Free Member

He’s brilliant for the sport, because he always wants to get the overtake and go for the win.
    Sometimes with iffy results, granted, but it increases the viewing pleasure either way does it not? Can’t get why people would hate on that…in fact more of the kamikaze stuff from more drivers would be great thanks very much.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t think he should be less aggressive, I think the aggression is good. The problem is that he needs to calm down, I think he has been getting to angry and that is clouding his judgement and slowing him down.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think he’s probably frustrated he’s not already a multiple world champion. He should be.

Why? He hasn’t bin better than other drivers since he won his WC (when he had by far the best car and a team-mate who helped him out at every opportunity), so why ‘should’ he be a multiple WC?

And don’t forget, he only won his WC cos another driver in front of him made a mistake on the last lap of the last race, not cos of his own performance.

I think he’s enormously conceited and arrogant, and needs to learn a bit of humility. Dismissing the advice of people like Nikki Lauda and Niggle Mansell is just rude.

He is supremely talented and exciting to watch. But if his antics are wrecking other drivers’ races and potentially endangering them, then he needs to back off.

Maybe he needs some of the other drivers who he’s crashed into to give him a slap, put him on his arse, teach him a lesson. He behaves like a spoilt brat. His hero is Senna, who was a proper character, but still had respect for others. Maybe Lewis should watch the film, maybe learn something.

I think McLaren should sack him, and then he’ll have to driver for Hispania or Virgin or someone, that would serve him right.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Why? He hasn’t bin better than other drivers since he won his WC (when he had by far the best car and a team-mate who helped him out at every opportunity), so why ‘should’ he be a multiple WC?

Because he should of won it before he did…especially the season he threw it away in the last 3 races when Raikonen beat him by 1 pt. That was the same season he beached it on pit entry wasn’t it when the team left him out too long and his tyres were through to the canvass.

He definitely had the opportunities in his first 3 seasons (iirc) to be WDC and he didnt take them.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Nobody listens to Nikki Lauda!

binners

he thinks he has the talent and skill of ayrton senna.he doesnt..

Nope. Not far off though. But he’s certainly got the same attitude.

By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it’s not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it’s possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it’s impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I’m doing it right.

And that’s refreshing in a field of automitons with personality vacuum’s

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Because he should of won it before he did

Pathetic.

He din’t win cos he din’t have the ability to.

He messed up cos he couldn’t look after his tyres. Instead of altering his driving style, like a proper tuned in driver wooduv done, he carried on regardless, and paid the price.

Look at races Jensonbutton.com has won, cos he knows how to look after his tyres. Might not be as ‘fast’ as Lewis, but he’s got more points this season, and has driven the best race in living memory.

It’s not always about being the fastest.

dooosuk
    Free Member

He messed up cos he coon’t look after his tyres. Instead of altering his driving style, like a proper tuned in driver wooduv done, he carried on regardless, and paid the price.

Not really. The team left him out as it was about to rain and they wanted to wait before making a tyre choice. That’s not his fault.

Also on tyre management it was his debut season. You can cut a rookie a little bit of slack expecially when he’s out driving a double world champion in an identical car.

dooosuk
    Free Member

… he coon’t …

RACIST

scruff
    Free Member

His mind may be elsewhere.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My option of him has improved slightly now that he’s shaved off that stupid facial hair chinstrap.

samuri
    Free Member

Nobody listens to Nikki Lauda!

Earist!

I’m not mad keen on Hamilton myself but +1 for getting rid of the silly facial hair and +1 for he’s a winner, you lot aren’t so it’s no surprise most of you don’t understand why he’s so frustrated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO Hamilton is faster than Button – but who has more championship points this season and why?

He just needs to notch it back a touch and he will do better in the long run – some of the incidents this season have been clearly his fault trying too hard and going for gaps that are not there.

However its his aggressiveness that gives him the edge so its a very tricky balance to get.

If he does it again tho – punt someone off track he will get serious sanctions I think.

I’ll place a bet now that he punts someone off /busts his front wing or makes some other mistake from over aggressive driving this race that costs him significant points

billysugger
    Free Member

That pic deserves a caption but my imagination is still in bed today.

EDIT – I would not follow the different forms of motorsport I have if it weren’t for people like Colin Mcrae, Senna and to some extent these days the likes of Simoncelli and Hamilton

philconsequence
    Free Member

they’re all good drivers, better than anyone commenting on this thread i’d bet.

armchair critics do make me chuckle, it feels like watching a fat 60yr old who’s never played or coached football in the pub shouting advice at the football.

this weeks riding was timetabled so my friends and I can all chill together and watch the f1 on sunday. good times 😀

Luminous
    Free Member

If I were paying his wages, I’d like to think that he is doing his part to push the team to develop the car.
    Drivers can do this by driving the ass off their motor.
    I’d draw the line though at whether he endangered any other driver or the public, but IIRC, he isn’t the first driver to wragg his car.

Didn’t Giles V have a bit of a rep for finding / exceeding the limit ?.

I’m not a particular fan of Hamilton, but I do have a quiet admiration for those drivers who are clearly getting a few 10ths more out of their car than really ought to be the case.
    With the obvious caveat of them not endangering anyone else while they are doing that.

As with respect to the finger wagger. When he does that, it does make me cringe a bit. I don’t know why drivers today feel they need to perform a trick if they get pole or win the race.
    Whether its wagging their finger or leaping up into the air while on the podium. It just strikes me as a little OTT.
    Sometimes you see them give it a moments thought before they do it, at which point it really doesn’t look like a spontaneous outburst from the joy of winning.

I say keep him as he is, so long as he doesn’t hurt anyone.

🙂

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I like what he’s doing and I think he’ll be a better driver in the long run. If he is making mistakes this season and trashing too many car parts he’ll realise that sooner or later (or someone close to him will gently prod him and say so) and do something about it. Might be next season before he changes anything but I think he’ll look back on this season and take a lot from it.

I think deep down he knows, as do many others, that Vettel is going to win the season. The Red Bull car and Vettel’s ability are too good for the other teams. Hamilton should treat this season as an opportunity to learn about what does and doesn’t work for his driving style and contribute as much as he can to development in the team in the process.

As for Miss Scherzinger, that’s a healthy distraction.

Luminous
    Free Member

GM.

Good post, some good points there. A driver should always keep an open mind and keep learning. Not withstanding the fact that they know a fair bit already.
    😉

I agree also that RB seem now to be beyond the reach of the other teams and drivers.
    That Adrian Newey has made a significant contribution to how a lot of the World Championships have turned out during the last 15 odd years.
    A true Engineer of distinction within his field.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not really. The team left him out as it was about to rain and they wanted to wait before making a tyre choice. That’s not his fault.

Wasn’t the only time he messed up that season. And a driver has the ultimate call on their tyres, as they’re the one in the car and can feel what they’re doing. The team can’t.

stevemtb
    Free Member

he needs to take a step back.. appreciate that this years car isnt quite as good as the red bull and stop pushing too far and crashing.

theres always next year…

That is exactly the kind of thing that would make me think that a driver never had what it took. The moment that a driver gives up and settles when they’re in a world championship winning team (while it’s still possible to win) they are not mentally good enough to be a good driver.

Lewis was passing Jenson in the wet whichever race it was they crashed, he was alongside him and Jenson turned. The arguments seem to be that Jenson couldn’t see him so wasn’t to blame, in fact a lot of people seem to say Lewis should never have gone for that gap, that’s just rubbish. I like JB but Lewis is a much quicker driver. Look at qualifying this year and how Lewis can pop up with times no one was ever expecting.

I really don’t get all this talk about him becoming less aggressive, it’s a trait that most of the great drivers have shown throughout the history of the sport.

Look at the other drivers that are a bit aggressive – Kobyashi (sp?) for instance. He’s constantly praised for being a driver who will have a go at an overtake and when it goes wrong there’s often comments about it being good for the sport that he’ll have a go, the crazy comments are also said with praise in their voices.

To me, it’s a really sad reflection of the sport that it’s got to the stage that diving for a gap which makes another driver turn out of the corner has become a bad thing. We all want more overtaking and one of the few that actually give us that gets criticised for being aggressive. If it keeps going like this there’ll be a rule that overtakes have to be completed on a straight before the turn in point so as not to cause other drivers undue stress.

Watching Senna and Hammond meets Moss the week before it really struck me just how boring F1 is now. Of course the saftey aspect is fantastic and I’d never want to see if get more dangerous but the lack of action in a race is not a good thing for the sport. Two or three race weekend with reverse grids and success balast might make things a bit more interesting.

Seem to have gone off on one a bit there!!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Wasn’t the only time he messed up that season. And a driver has the ultimate call on their tyres, as they’re the one in the car and can feel what they’re doing. The team can’t.

No it wasn’t but it was a race win / big points thrown away and those would have meant that he was WDC.

I’m not saying he’s faultless/hasn’t made mistakes. Just that he’s had the opportunity to be a multiple WDC and hasn’t taken it. He knows this and is probably wondering when he’ll have the car to properly challenge again.

hilldodger
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    …..he’s a winner, you lot aren’t so it’s no surprise most of you don’t understand why he’s so frustrated.

well said 8)

jenson ‘play it safe’ button or lewis ‘shoot or bust’ hamilton – no contest who brings most to the sport, and it’s not the whiteboy 😆

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Come on Shumi!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And don’t forget, he only won his WC cos another driver in front of him made didn’t make a mistake on the last lap of the last race, not cos of his own performance.

You can’t argue it both ways, he can’t win a season becasue someone made a mistake, then turn arround and say he shouldn’t have won the other season because he made mistakes?

markgraylish
    Free Member

And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it’s not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it’s possible.

And herein lies the difference between the fastest racer and the cleverest racer.

An F1 season is too long for anyone other than the cleverest racer to ultimately win the WDC (taking the car & team out of the equation, obviously).

Thanks god Hamilton is not in a Red Bull otherwise the F1 season would be very dull!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Planet F1 sum up Ham beautifully. Xmas day persents in the Ham household woul dall be opened by 8.15.

He tries too hard in the first 5 laps, he needs to cool it at the start, and then push when Vet is trying to warm his digit up.

skaifan
    Free Member

I think he needs to tone down his aggression a touch. He may be the fastest driver on the grid, and has been since 2007, but the one key element missing from his arsenal is pure intellect. He is just not functioning mentally at the same level as button, vettel, or alonso, and I don’t think he ever will do. Intellect is not entirely a learned skill. For this reason, I find it hard to believe he will ever fight consistently for titles or wins year on year, but if someone were to provide him with the quickest car and the right support, so as to remove as much decision making away from the driver as possible, then he would probably scratch together another title.

iDave
    Free Member

I really hope he’s reading this thread and learning lots from all the insight gleaned from watching telly and chatting in pubs.

I think Valentino Rossi needs some advice too, and Rafa Nadal 🙄

Great work scruff

rOcKeTdOg

No change needed imho, he did win that tour stage with a broken collar bone, shame he got found out as a drug cheat though

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

His American accent gets on my nerves…

Woody
    Free Member

armchair critics do make me chuckle, it feels like watching a fat 60yr old who’s never played or coached football in the pub shouting advice at the football.

How true philc 🙂

ps. driving aside, I still think he looks like a Thunderbird puppet.

headfirst
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences^^^

My opinion on Hamilton: why should we believe him?? He lied for years so now that he’s ‘telling the truth’ how do we know?

Shame though, I was so impressed when he finished the tour with a broken collarbone.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can’t argue it both ways, he can’t win a season becasue someone made a mistake, then turn arround and say he shouldn’t have won the other season because he made mistakes?

Erm, I’m not arguing it ‘both ways’. Have a think about it. 😐

armchair critics do make me chuckle

So, people who ultimately help pay for a sport to exist through TV licence/subscription etc aren’t entitled to opinions?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Hamilton’ is closed to new replies.