Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Haggling advice
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Evening folks

I’m in the market for a new motorbike. Currently looking at BMW/Ducati/Harley and Triumph. Every dealer has offered me the same p-ex for my R1 within a hundred quid and won’t budge. And this is against full RRP.

Realistically it makes no difference financially but I want to feel better about the deal. Have tried the best price/can you improve approach but although they don’t actually say ‘take it or leave it’ the meaning is clear.

So what are your top tips for haggling?

I could go elsewhere but the bikes I’m looking at are a bit special and there’s not much choice

andyl
    Free Member

Sell the bike and go in with cash?

kcal

get them to throw in leathers?

If the bikes are in demand – they’ll simply look up book value for yours, no incentive to deal.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

try webuyanybike.com no idea if they’ll give you a better deal on you R1 but worth comparing. Cash is king. part ex is never a good deal.

br
    Free Member

You’re looking at ‘premium’ bikes and p/x-ing a ‘normal’ bike. Most will have to ship out the bike straight away, so are quoting the ‘dealer’ price.

Look for a dealer who also sell Yams, these guys are known to ‘deal’:

http://www.onyerbike.net/

LsD
    Free Member

the bikes I’m looking at are a bit special and there’s not much choice

…and thus you are, unfortunately, their beeyotch.

nickdavies

If they can shift ’em you’ll struggle. You might to better to look at finance – they’ll likely make a profit on that to help cut a deal and if you can pay it off straight away with no penalty then that could help you out a bit.

totalshell

when you get to the till at Aldi .. do you say ”tell you what i know it comes to £56.23p if i give you some christmas jumpers that ive barely worn and 40 quid will that cover it..”

so why do you expect the ” i ll give you an R1 and some cash instead of the full asking price for this bike for which there is a waiting list..”
    to work..

fasthaggis

Can you try playing them against each other,without telling porkies?
    “I really like this Ducati,but the Harley dealer has offered me £*** for my R1” etc,etc.

nickewen
    Free Member

Sell th r1 privately. then you will only be haggling on one price

fasthaggis

Selling an R1 in January is going to be a tough one.

Rscott
    Free Member

when you get to the till at Aldi .. do you say ”tell you what i know it comes to £56.23p if i give you some christmas jumpers that ive barely worn and 40 quid will that cover it..”

You would be supprised, we always get people trying to get reductions.

however stick the r1 on ebay as a classified or gumtree, ebay it will probably go for more like the market value instead of the dealerships value,and gumtree you will get a few tyre kickers and sell it for what you realistic want for it.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

You want a Ducati or a Harley or a BMW? Maybe decide what kind of bike you want first so the dealers might think you have a clue what you’re talkimg about? Usually find that makes a strng standpoint for hagglimg.

br
    Free Member

You want a Ducati or a Harley or a BMW? Maybe decide what kind of bike you want first so the dealers might think you have a clue what you’re talkimg about? Usually find that makes a strng standpoint for hagglimg.

Yep, you need to turn up with the R1 and be prepared to buy there and then.

rocketman
    Free Member

You want a Ducati or a Harley or a BMW? Maybe decide what kind of bike you want first so the dealers might think you have a clue what you’re talkimg about?

Obv I don’t tell the dealers that 🙄

andyrm
    Free Member

Have a think about WHY they should do you a deal. Not because “they want the sale” – everyone selling anything always wants a sale.

Can you pay cash there and then?
    Is it a slow seller?
    Is there good local competition on price?

If you cannot answer yes to at least one of the above, then you don’t really have any right to a discount. It has to be worth the salesperson’s while to take a cut on his commission, so either make it worth his while or pay full price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Haggling advice’ is closed to new replies.