Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Guy Martin pedalling to 100mph
  • buck53

^^ Tunnelbear is your friend

cheers_drive

Apparently Rourke’s have be busy after the programme. Luckily I was fitted for mine 6 months ago and it should be shipped today 😀
    No speed records will be set on it though.

ampthill

I agree that the tyres would dissipate lots of heat into he air

The principle means of heating would be side wall flex, or work deforming the sand. The friction wouldn’t dissipate heat unless he is slipping

But he was working against the tyre. The programme was really clear that it was a turbo session. He was pedaling in still air. I think if he was pedaling through the air they’d have given him a less upright position?

slowoldman

Does anyone know if that’s a ratified record? He hit a top speed of 112 but traditionally records are measured as average speed over a certain distance. For instance the video of Fred Rompelberg suggests his record was set over a measured mile.

Still, brilliant effort by all the team and especially Guy not being exactly a professional cyclist. I do enjoy watching him, whatever he does. I wonder how Tony Martin would do?

darrell
    Free Member

tunnelbear

😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

He was pedaling in still air.

from the aerodynamics guy’s modelling he’s riding with a tail wind, even at 100+mph.

Great programme though, the lack of weight of the bike and what looked like a fairly normal head angle must have made it pretty bloody twitchy. Ive done that speed on a 500lb motorbike (on a track, obviously…) but on a bicycle, on sand, staring at a wall on the back of a truck is a different matter. Noticed he had the presence of mind you use the truck’s braking by riding “into” the tow bar rather than rely on his (sponsored) Hope brakes and risk locking up.

I do enjoy watching him, whatever he does.

I find him right on the cusp of entertaining and irritating, but give him the benefit of the doubt as despite (or because of) being a motorcyclist for 25years I cant watch on-bike TT footage without holding my breath.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sweet fixie.
    😆

allthepies
    Free Member

What wind resistance ? He had an effective (small) tail wind.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

. Noticed he had the presence of mind you use the truck’s braking by riding “into” the tow bar rather than rely on his (sponsored) Hope brakes and risk locking up.

Not sure that was by choice. Shat me right up. As did the thought of clipping your bike to a truck that is going to tow you up to 60mph.

allthepies
    Free Member

Noticed he had the presence of mind you use the truck’s braking by riding “into” the tow bar rather than rely on his (sponsored) Hope brakes and risk locking up.

He said that his visibility was minimal. Brake too much and remove yourself from the truck slipstream == nasty.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not sure that was by choice

I thought that first time, but he did it a couple of times (including the dry runs on tarmac) and it looked planned/expected ie. no reaction from him.

jools182
    Free Member

thread resurrection

what was the guy called that had the big off trying to break the cycling speed record?

the footage was at a race track and he was carried off unconscious, then tried again a few months later

I am pretty sure he was french, but I don’t think it was the guy on the autobahn

scruff
    Free Member

Eric Barone?

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Guy Martin pedalling to 100mph’ is closed to new replies.