Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Guess how long it will take him .W H W
  • konajim
    Free Member

Steven MacInnis from Tobermory and Leading member of the World Famous Isle of Mull Cycling Club is having a crack at riding the West Highland way Tomorrow to raise money for the local Scout hall .He will be going for a good time not a day out .
    How long do you think he will take .Fort william to Glasgow inc Conic hill
    Im going for 9 hours 42 mins 12 seconds. He is fit haveing won a couple of the 10 Hour events or am I being too optimistic ?

JIm

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I don't know but it won't be muddy. Hasn't rained here for days and everywhere's drying up nicely.

konajim
    Free Member

Driest winter we have ever seen here as well it will help
    jim

islander

Wind at his back, good conditions, have a guess at 10hrs 30 mins.

nedrapier

Rob Lee's aiming for 30hrs for the double if that helps.

13thfloormonk

sub 10 hours!?

Is he planning to skip the loch lomondside section? riding north to south might save you an hour or so, as the big hills are in the north, but I'd have thought 10 hours to be a pretty fast time. If he's quick and has the right bike for it (XC whippet bikes mighten't cut it) then I'd give him between 12 and 13 hours.

Going south to north with the loch lomondside section I'm aiming for 15 hours this year, but I don't pretend to be 'race' fit…

If Rob Lee does the whole thing, twice, including Loch Lomondside, in 30hours then he is truly super-human. 😯

konajim
    Free Member

He has no idea himself and it seems there is no real time posted for this event that I can find …..so maybe tomorrow we will have something to aim for for real .
    he will phone rom Tyndrum to give a time and I will let yoy know tomorrow night what time he did it in……………..if he finished ..;-))
    jim

mlke
    Free Member

I successfully completed it in 54 hours including two sleeps, one curry and lots of beers. beat that Rob Lee, I bet he doesn't even fit in a Korma.

nedrapier

If Rob Lee does the whole thing, twice, including Loch Lomondside, in 30hours then he is truly super-human.

monk, you can relax. I remembered wrong. 32 hours is the mark he's after. Guess he's not "all that" after all!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/04/west-highland-way-double-attempt-endurance-film-announced/

Good luck to your mate, jim!

13thfloormonk

Mike, I can see were you went wrong, you were enjoying yourself! You'll know better next time 😉

ned, 32 hours? Lightweight… 🙄

good luck to your mate Jim, look forward to updates!

wwaswas

Rob Lee is off;

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0g0bmcBopKPEN2DclIWaC8eyGNkyioV9T

although it hasn't updated location for a bit.

wwaswas

ah, he's just tweeted that he's running late…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I think your mate will be doing very well to break 12

13thfloormonk

Rob lee is in Callander apparently?

Thats a long way to go to avoid the Inversnaid hikey-bikey! 😀

Edit: Oops, my mistake, there's just a random track point in callander for some reason.

islander

Any news of Steven?

bryan-g-

nope

konajim
    Free Member

Time now confirmed 11 hours 29 mins 36 seconds hands and back sore .
    Wrong turning at Nevis bent Deraillieur hanger and burst Tube repaired with an old Wellie insole and a stop to drop stuff off at Tyndrum .
    All in all he reckons he could not have shaved a lot of time off this but was still fresh at the finish with time to push hard on the last leg .
    Would not want to do it again over one day but 2 definately to take it all in .
    You can take this time as real no road sections or short cuts if anyone wants a go at it
    JIm

13thfloormonk

F-king hell, good effort!

definitely worth savouring though, did he manage that time never having ridden it before? Respect.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Jings thats a good effort. Rob Lee binned it on the return leg at Kinlochleven, the Highlands are big.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Superb effort. Was you mate on a HT?

Don't know anything about Rob Lee but looking at his time up past LL I did think he was pushing far too fast for someone who was going to have to turn tail and do it all over again.

konajim
    Free Member

\yes first time he has been on the trail .Yes on a hard tail .Gripping the bars tightly probably caused the sore hands he reckons.
    He said he took no chances with the rough stuff in case of off but did come off on a n easy bit near kingshouse . Burt tyre was on loch lomond section .
    Said he would advice anyone doing it to take spare deraillier and Tyre if no back up .

jim

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Guess how long it will take him .W H W’ is closed to new replies.