Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "GT24" NON-STOP West Highland Way AND Great Glen Way AND a bit more!
  • garytompsett
    Free Member

I’ll materialise this again, probably for June 27/28th 2015. Question: Pure WHWGGW or the full ‘Coast to Coast’ version? (Glasgow to Inverness tidal to tidal). In 2015 this fuller version will go sub-24hr.

http://www.scotoutdoors.com/features/cycling/new-mtb-challenge-the-gt24

Sanny
    Free Member

How about the West Highland Way, East Highland Way and the Speyside Way? A very tough and long day (days?) out I reckon……….maybe by 2015 they will have completed the low path from Rowardennan to Inversnaid. I tried it again last month – it was as crap as last time with the annoyance of the first couple of hundred yards having been completed to lull you into false hope. Garrrrrrr! Still, the rest of the ride taking in The Cobbler and the Three Lochs Way on the drop bar bikes was fun and made for a lovely circuit. 😀

kcal

some bits of Speyside Way a ‘mare by bike…

East Highland Way, wassat Sanny?

arachnidlover
    Free Member

Interesting……… probably prefer just the Pure route though to be honest. 🙂

kcal
    garytompsett
    Free Member

Thanks kcal. Yep, I’ve been following the development of this new high level route just this week, and it will possibly eventually supercede the low-level ‘walkers’ route in popularity. I think the future GT24 should go this way, and I intend to ride it soon. Judging by the sub 21hr GT24 inauguration by Keith Forsyth, adding some ascent/distance will help keep the sub24 goal suitably marginal. Sanny, in this thread I’m not looking for new route suggestions in the Highlands, (though an entire LDPath circuit would be good for something) but just whether WHWGGW or CWHWGGWC will be best favoured as a challenge route (C=Coast) – do you think that lower llomondside path will become the default WHW line when it’s finished? Cheers!

kcal

I’ve done the GGW on W side years ago, from Inverness down to Fort Aug. (as part of the late lamented “Loch Ness 360”) Also the GGW as far as Corpach up to Fort Aug.

What’s the general deal with the new route? It sounds like above Loch Ness, is it the west side, is that right? Saves all that forestry roads hopefully!

kcal

sounds great — yes, some nice little trails in that section but dwarfed out by the roller coaster forest roads.

thanks gary.

paladin

Unrelated to the OP, but speaking about the GGW, the FC website mentions….

The Tourism BID group is already lending it’s support to the South Loch Ness Trail which once completed will create a circuit around Loch Ness, giving walkers and cyclists a new challenge.

kcal

bar a bit of road riding, up the E side I’m pretty sure I could retrace the route I took for the 360 – past Foyers and so on – if similar it would make a lovely joined-up loop. You get to pass Boleskine House as well, home of Aleister Crowley (& latterly Jimmy Page)..

keithf
    Free Member

Gary, that ‘high level’ route on GGW was the part I did between Invermoriston and Drumnadrochit. From the description, no wonder I took so long to complete that section. May be worth including in the WHWGGW route for the extra elevation and singletrack it offers ?

garytompsett
    Free Member

Yep Keith, I think the high level route should get into the 2015 GT24 ‘event’ rather than just as a foray in our ‘training rides!’ This will also push the challenge back closer to 24hrs.

AlasdairMc

That looks like a nice challenge but one I doubt I’d manage sub-24. I’m a stubborn rider but not a fast one…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"GT24" NON-STOP West Highland Way AND Great Glen Way AND a bit more!’ is closed to new replies.