Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Grrr. Stopping 3 times to rearrange the rattling tools in the roadie saddlebag.
  • midlifecrashes

Roadies should be quiet, right. I’d even put extra latex gloves in there to keep stuff apart, but no, for the first hour or so this morning, rattle,rattle,rattle. Stop, rearrange toolbag, carry on. Repeat. Until the ice cubes in my bottles melted. 😥

trail_rat
    Free Member

Buy a multitool that has a neoprene pouch such as an sks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does the neoprene keep the ice cubes quiet?

trail_rat
    Free Member

It will if you stick the ice cubes in it 😉

Must say though  I find it odd that one can’t tell the difference between metallic rattling and ice cubes knocking.

TheGingerOne

a. Use a smaller saddlebag

b. Put more in your existing saddlebag

c. Use your pockets instead

I’ve done over 11,000 miles on the road bike with nothing more than a multitool, 2 tyre levers, 2 innertubes and a quicklink. Never wanted for anything else whilst riding.

mrmo
    Free Member

I got a Slica tool wrap as a present, no noise and big enough for I want to carry on a ride. granted not cheap but there are similar things about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Love the solutions there 😉 Would certainly have helped the OP 😉

Maybe these would help

mattyfez

Elastic bands can be wrapped around rattly stuff. And can lash rattly stuff together ..

nickdavies

Is it me or have most missed the point? 😉

alextemper
    Free Member

nickdavies

Subscriber
    Is it me or have most missed the point? 😉

Must be the heat…

spooky_b329

Need to freeze a mugful of water with the bottle on its side in the freezer. Cold drink and no rattling!

IdleJon

I’ve done over 11,000 miles on the road bike with nothing more than a multitool, 2 tyre levers, 2 innertubes and a quicklink. Never wanted for anything else whilst riding.

You must have good lungs if you’re able to blow up a tube without a pump. (Or do you fart into the valve?) 😁

TheGingerOne

I didn’t bother listing the pump as it seemed a bit obvious – plus isn’t something that would be in a saddlebag 😉

Though I guess I should have clarified that as I could have missed stating where I put gas canisters etc

IdleJon

I’m sorry for being pedantic – I just wanted to say ‘fart’. 😂

jonba
    Free Member

Bit of sponge can help.

jekkyl

Just stop doing Road rides. Problem solved 👍

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just stop doing Road rides. Problem solved

Nah I got that rattle on the gravel bike and I didn’t even have a tool bag on the bike!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Silca Boa closure for the win.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is one of the best threads in a while!!

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I put my bits and pieces in an old sock. No rattling noises at all.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Spoiler alert – it wasn’t his tools rattling. It was the ice cubes in his bidon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spoilsport Alert Mister P!!

scaredypants

Lol at this !

(I had 3 goes at stopping a ting-ing rotor on my road ride this morning.  Should’ve got ice-tec)

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol at the OP, but if you have problems with rattling saddle bags, try one held on with a wraparound strap like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/castelli-undersaddle-mini-saddle-bag/rp-prod147290

dovebiker

Great use for charity wristbands – wrap around your inner tube and then hold together anything loose or rattly

eddiebaby
    Free Member

D’Oh! I got there in the end. 🤦‍♂️

Mister-P
    Free Member

Don’t worry Mike, people still didn’t get it.

funkmasterp

It was the ice cubes in his bidon.

Ice cubes in his what now?

Bez

We haven’t left Europe yet, the ban on Anglicising French words hasn’t started.

funkmasterp

Just googled it. Water bottle. Never heard it called a bidon before.

Bez

Oh, sorry, I just assumed you were one of the Blue Passport Enthusiasts who pops up on threads like these from time to time objecting to foreign words like bidon 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

On my winter bike I carry some stuff in a tiny saddle bag, the best and neatest are made by Scott; they hang from a plastic W clip on the rails. It’s stuffed so tight that nothing rattles and I have taped the seatpost where it attaches so that it doesn’t fret and wear the lacquer.

On my summer bike I don’t have a saddle bag because the bike is so carefully maintained that I don’t reckon on needing anything other than a spare tube and a gas cylinder. I carry these in my jersey pockets, the tube sucked flat and taped tight with two tyre levers. If anything happens that requires tools I’ll shoulder the bike and stick out a thumb; I’m confident that when drivers see I have a good reason to be hitching they will stop.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Bidon = Pretension

Objecting to its use is nothing to do with xenophobia.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shall you be eating your lunch from a musette today bez ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Should be rattle free this week as it’s cooling down a bit.

Bez

Bidon = Pretension. Objecting to its use is nothing to do with xenophobia.

I may have been projecting for amusement, even if only my own. I enjoy watching people get upset by perfectly legitimate use of words so you’re only adding to it 😉

Also, it’s great to see people still completely missing the point in the OP.

All in all, I think I’ll be calling back here pretty regularly to top up my smug, self-satisfied enjoyment quota for the day 😉

bob_summers

Great thread – proof, if any were needed, that almost nobody ever reads the OP!

PS: Almost 30% of English words are of French etymology

PPS: Stopped in the van a few weeks back as the temperature gauge was off the scale.  Had the bonnet open, fluoro jacket on, red triangle out , poking around at the engine which oddly didn’t feel that hot.

I’d just filled up and was looking at the fuel gauge…

Bez

shall you be eating your lunch from a musette today bez ?

Yes, it’ll be a Long Stick of Bread with Mashed Offal Paste.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Ok I’ll bite…

I hate xenophobic, gammon faced nationalists. But i also hate pretentious types who deliberately use certain words to make themselves sound superior. There is a big difference between having a wide vocabulary and just being a bit of an arse.

FYI i hate the former more than the latter 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Grrr. Stopping 3 times to rearrange the rattling tools in the roadie saddlebag.’ is closed to new replies.