Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Grown men crying
  • Cougar

Funny how you managed to completely miss or ignore the part of my post

I didn’t miss it, I agreed with it (and probably should’ve said so).  It was just totally contradicted by the rest of that sentence.

I didn’t think it would prompt you to lose your shit.

I’m fully in control of my shit, being a well-adjusted adult.  Thanks though.

I won’t… tell him to man up… I’ll tell him to stop acting like a baby

There’s a world of difference between acting your age and acting like a “man.”  Why is this gender-specific?

Hopefully this approach will lead to him being able to discuss his emotions but also be able to control them.

I genuinely don’t see how “stop crying” is encouragement to discuss emotions.  Apologies if I’ve missed something here.

Who said anything about women?

I did, just then.  Does the same apply?  What would you tell a hypothetical daughter in the same situation?

Saying something about A MAN does not automatically infer the opposite is true or even relevant regarding ALL WOMEN.

Random CAPS is always the hallmark of a solid argument.  Not quite sure why it’s “A” man but “ALL” women, mind.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m weeping tears of despair at this thread now.

As is my right as a man.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont need to as I am not the one with perception, comprehension or recall problems.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar

I didn’t miss it, I agreed with it (and probably should’ve said so). It was just totally contradicted by the rest of that sentence.

It didn’t contradict it – you ignored half the post then ascribed the worst possible intentions to the rest of it. We all control or suppress our emotions constantly, all day every day.  The idea that controlling your emotions, or ignoring them in the short term to achieve something is now somehow taboo?

There’s a world of difference between acting your age and acting like a “man.” Why is this gender-specific?

What’s the thread title again?

I genuinely don’t see how “stop crying” is encouragement to discuss emotions. Apologies if I’ve missed something here.

Do you have kids Cougar? There’s a time and a place for discussing emotions. Mid tantrum doesn’t work very well in my experience.

I did, just then. Does the same apply? What would you tell a hypothetical daughter in the same situation?

Hypotheitcal daughter? My daughter will do just fine. I treat her differently from my son because they are different people with different personalities.

Not quite sure why it’s “A” man but “ALL” women, mind.

Because the only man I can actually try to influence is my son. I can quote platitudes and cliches all day long but I probably can’t change anyone else. But you took this to be somehow indicative of me thinking the opposite about all women.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I just watched / listened to a video of a poor-old-Arsenal-fan crying on national radio, heartbroken over his team’s weekend performance / predicament. FFS, really? Get a grip

im sorry, I realise I’ve let myself, my family and even STW down…..but I’ve been an Arsenal fan for nearly 50 years and that mad Frenchman is killing our club!

binners

All you need to do to understand this is:

a) check out the ticket prices at Arsenal

b) see how much Ozil gets paid

c) watch some of Arsenal’s recent performances, noting Ozil’s contribution

i think I’d have a little cry. Then i’d get really, really, really, really ****ing angry and consider murderizing a French Pensioner

Cougar

you ignored half the post

And then admitted that was a mistake.

There’s a time and a place for discussing emotions.

Fair enough.  When are you encouraging him to discuss his emotions outside of tantrums?  You said, “I’ll tell him to stop acting like a baby and go join his friends in nursery.  Hopefully this approach will lead to him being able to discuss his emotions” so that’s all I had to go on.

I treat her differently from my son because they are different people with different personalities.

Different personalities or different genders?  This is all well and good but you’re still dodging the question as to whether the same rules apply to girls as they do to boys.

But you took this to be somehow indicative of me thinking the opposite about all women.

For the second time now, that’s your inference.  “A” vs “ALL”, I literally quoted your own words there.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Nice to hear a bit of passion in the callers voice … in this day and age. Some might feel it is a little much over a football team … but hey ho that’s his passion.

jimjam
    Free Member

I treat her differently from my son because they are different people with different personalities.

Different personalities or different genders?  This is all well and good but you’re still dodging the question as to whether the same rules apply to girls as they do to boys.

They have different personalities. How much of that is down to gender, I can’t say but given how stereo-typically some of there behavior falls neatly into gender stereotypes, I’d say a fair bit. I can give you examples as much as I find it somewhat uncomfortable to discuss something like that on a forum. We’ve had that thread several times recently but I’m happy to go through the motions again if you want to start a new one.

For the second time now, that’s your inference. “A” vs “ALL”, I literally quoted your own words there.

If you want to give me the benefit, you can re-read my earlier post in the context of me thinking about raising a four year old boy as a well rounded person and not a slave to his emotions. You can chose to be charitable in your interpretation, or not, as with your initial reaction. Either way I do not care and my conscience is clear.

tjagain

Jeepers!  Predictable row I guess.

to go back to crying at sport – totally ridiculous.  I am heavily into my rugby to the point where I actually shake with the adrenaline and disappointments like the Scotland / Wales game can make me really unhappy and grumpy but to get to the point of crying?  No way jose and I am in contact with my emotions and do cry at things worth crying for occasionally

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Lawrence Dallaglio would be / was in tears just singing the national anthem. We all have different trigger points.

binners

Uncle Jezza – is it not just a case of rugby fans using all their emotions up dealing with their repressed homosexuality? 😂

Cougar

You can chose to be charitable in your interpretation, or not,

I’d rather that you were clear in what you were saying so that no interpretation was necessary and there was no risk of misunderstanding.

raising a four year old boy as a well rounded person and not a slave to his emotions.

Sure.  Are you similarly raising your daughter as a well rounded person who is not a slave to her emotions?  When she cries do you tell her to stop being a baby?

binners

I cried tears of pure joy when I found out this week was national pie week. Then Mrs Binners handed me a Wigan kebab…. a steak pie on a barm, and I went full Gwyneth….

funkmasterp

Jesus Christ, that got out of hand quickly. To clarify my original post, I suffer with depression (badly) and cry and show emotions . All that being said, you cry because a team lose at a game and you’re older than ten then you deserve to be laughed at. To bring suicide in to a conversation about a grown arse man crying over a game is ridiculous even for this place.

people who think that displays of emotion, when made by men, should be met with derision.. should be met with derision.

Oh …..and I said people who cry because somebody else lost at  aa game

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Oh course the chap on the radio phone in might suffer from depression or mental health issue’s etc…..or he may not and for him Arsenal are the most important thing in his life.

funkmasterp

He could, then again he could be like the multitude of people i work with who think when their team (it’s not their team) loses, it’s the equivalent of losing a family member. My post was a light hearted jest, but as usual this place has a sense of humour malfunction and it devolved in to the usual ‘people making arguments out of absolutely **** all’  i think it’s about time I flounced. This place has become way too melodramatic

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

If you need a shoulder to…. well you know what I am getting at ( I am just joking I promise).

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The guy on the phone is someone who may not have anything else in his life, as in no family or social circle and to him football is everything. To him Arsenal is everything so I can understand why he can become so emotionally attached to something and if anything I felt some compassion towards him,

I sincerely hope that you are a shrink/medic/nurse/vet etc  as the world needs more empathetic people doing what comes naturally to them.

Well said.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Only on STW could a thread taking the piss out of me for crying over my football team turn into a bun fight over mental health issues, parental responsibility and the like!  Hilarious!

binners

Don’t worry Rockape…. I feel your pain. I had to endure 2 seasons of watching a Van Gaal squad that involved a sort of reverse-rugby where it was forbidden to pass it forwards. Then there was Moyes.

I’d have cried too but that would have entailed staying awake. At least you can content yourself with rousing choruses of ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’ before bursting into tears

redthunder
    Free Member

funkmasterp

It’s sad isn’t it? Almost makes you want to cry

bigyinn
    Free Member

Trying to steer back onto the subject of men crying. Here are a selection of things that have made me well up / cry.

Daughter hugging mother scene in Uncle Buck

DIY SOS reveals.

My son being lovely.

Thinking about my dad.

Thinking about good times when I was younger.

Stories about mis-treated cats.

The song Puff the Magic Dragon.

Theres a whole lot of shit flying about in my head that needs to come out….

theotherjonv

Don’t worry Rockape…. I feel your pain. I had to endure 2 seasons of watching a Van Gaal squad that involved a sort of reverse-rugby where it was forbidden to pass it forwards. Then there was Moyes.

I’d have cried too but that would have entailed staying awake. At least you can content yourself with rousing choruses of ‘you’re not fit to wear the shirt’ before bursting into tears

Oh FFS, look at yourselves.

Have you SEEN Reading this season? Achieving the impossible, being so unutterably shit, but somehow still managing to pick up a point every now and then sufficient that Stam stays in post.

I cry at all sorts; sad and happy. Is that even worse to cry happy tears.  You could have lacri-surfed when Hoy won the Kierin in 2012 and became the greatest…… only trouble was that i was at work at the time so everyone saw it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

There are a lot of things to cry about that’s for sure!  I inherited my crying from my Dad who would sit in front of the TV mopping his eyes with his hankercheif as he watched something completely not sad!  Once, when I was watching Dallas, he walked into the room, stood watching some lachrymose moment and promptly got his handkerchief out!  I couldn’t believe it!

Now my kids watch me if ever The Sound of Music is on, as tears roll down my face watching one particular emotional moment!   Watching Arsenal isn’t emotional these days, but its definitely bloody sad!

anono

Come on – own up – who hasn’t shed a few tears over the new forum….???

binners

Oh FFS, look at yourselves.

Have you SEEN Reading this season?

One of my mates is a Reading fan (he’s a southern immigrant) and we all went to the pub to watch the Reading v Huddersfield play off. I don’t know about crying, by the end of that shambolic bore-fest most of us had started self-harming with broken pint glasses.

On the crying front, prior to having kids I had a heart of stone. You could have shot a kitten at point blank range, right in front of me, every 30 seconds, and I’d just step over the blood-stained balls of fluff to get to the bar. Since having kids I can stand in the kitchen blubbing at a moderately unfortunate happening on the Archers. God knows what it is parenthood does to your hormones! I even bought myself a new axe last summer, and thats not even helped my GGGGRRRRRR manliness testosterone levels. Bah!

theotherjonv

One of my mates is a Reading fan (he’s a southern immigrant) and we all went to the pub to watch the Reading v Huddersfield play off. I don’t know about crying, by the end of that shambolic bore-fest most of us had started self-harming with broken pint glasses.

Ah, they were proper halcyon days compared to now.

sbob
    Free Member

I cried tears of pure joy when I found out this week was national pie week. Then Mrs Binners handed me a Wigan kebab…. a steak pie on a barm, and I went full Gwyneth….

Weep for the joy of my Birthday pie-buts.

twistedpencil

Binned, same here, kids have turned me soft. I well up at pretty much any kids film I watch now, Coco was embarrassing for all of in the screening, I think I welled up during an episode of the Thundermans the other day.

I’ve pretty much given up on watching sport as I’ll cry for the winners and losers even if I have absolutely no interest in the event.

Luckily Gary Megson killed my interest in Football a few years back not felt the need to phone in 5live about Forest since 🙂

chipsngravy
    Free Member

This thread is another example of why STW is not a nice place to visit.

I can’t help but wonder how much this and similar sh!tfest threads damage the Singletrack brand image.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get over yourself.

Mind the door doesn’t catch the back of your head on the way out.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Twits

Luckily Gary Megson killed my interest in Football a few years back not felt the need to phone in 5live about Forest since

😀

funkmasterp

This thread is another example of why STW is not a nice place to visit.

I can’t help but wonder how much this and similar sh!tfest threads damage the Singletrack brand image.

Can you clarify whether it’s the pro crying at games or the anti crying at games posters that makes it not nice to visit?

edit – crying at games other people (strangers) are playing. We’ve all cried when a game of Monopoly exceeds the nine hour mark

oldtalent
    Free Member

This thread is another example of why STW is not a nice place to visit.I can’t help but wonder how much this and similar sh!tfest threads damage the Singletrack brand image.

i would quote if i could be bothered to find out how to. Agree. I associate the crap on this forum to be mirrored in the magazine, the main reason I will not be a subscriber.

sbob
    Free Member

I think it best to compile a list of when it is or isn’t acceptable for a man to cry.

Unacceptable: Discussing football.

Acceptable: The end of Toy Story 3

The death of Radar Intercept Officer Nick “Goose” Bradshaw

I think that’s all the movies covered.

funkmasterp

Watership Down and the bit in ET when he goes grey and falls over in the water

binners

Oldtalent – you think the twoddle that idiots like me post on the forum will be mirrored in the magazines content?

You’re not a journalist yourself then? 😂

By the same logic I once knew a bloke who drove a Volvo who was a right arse, therefore I would never even consider buying a Volvo

Anyway…. i’m sure that along with everyone else, i’m Glad you keep on coming on here with your thoughtful and incisive contributions. Do keep them coming, won’t you?

martinhutch

This site has Binners-friendly content and a name that would sum up half the threads on here.

Home

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Grown men crying’ is closed to new replies.