Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • “Groove” in my carbon frame – advice please
  • rockitman

Whipped the back wheel out this morning to give the bike a clean and noticed a “groove” in the carbon fibre. It’s on the seat stay, and looks like the tyre has caused it. Prob about 1mm deep – maybe a bit less, 3cm long.

Split a rim and snapped a couple of spokes a few weeks back and had to get back with a severely buckled wheel. Thought it wasn’t rubbing, but guess it must have happenned then.

Been out on 5 or 6 decent rides since then and it hasn’t snapped but just wondering if there’s anything I can do? Can it be “filled” or “patched” in any way?

Chances of it snapping?

Thanks in advance

Joxster
    Free Member

It will just be the lacquer, go to a model shop and get some more lacquer and top it up. Most of the carbon you see is just a layer to make it look pretty, the important stuff is underneath that.

singletrackmind

I had a groove worn into my frame by my flak jackets as the cable crossed infront of the downtube. I filled it, and raised it about 2mm with epoxy. Seemed to work OK , not that long ago tho,so cannot comment on its longevity

rockitman

Thanks guys, you’ve cheered me up a bit. Wheel is still out and every time I’ve walked past the bike I felt a tinge of disapointment!

Sorry to be dumb but can you recommend me some epoxy please.

Muchos Gracias

0091paddy
    Free Member

It’s in french, and is for a crack in the carbon instead of groove you mentioned..but shows you what can be done: Repairing carbon

And general clear coat repairs

May be of some use..

Ciao

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘“Groove” in my carbon frame – advice please’ is closed to new replies.